Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not a 77, but my brother bought a Ruger 44 Magnum Super Red Hawk. The diameter of the barrel seemed to be somewhere between a 44 and a 45. It was on his estate sale. I warned friends not to bid on that revolver.

I don't hate Ruger's, it's just I've had more than my share of bad luck with them. I've always wanted a nice Ruger #1 but am scared that it might shoot 6 MOA with the best loads. BTW, I applied at Ruger for a quality control engineering job but didn't get it. I would have loved that job.

I read where some people love them and had good luck with them. It hasn't been so with me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
HR IC

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The Ruger Super Blackhawk may be one of the best revolvers ever made. They can go through terrible brush and abuse and continue to offer good results. I call them homestead hammers because they are built well enough to hammer nails in a pinch.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 77 in a 270.. It has a tang safety.. Zero issues.. Buy killing deer with starting in the early 80s…

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got my 30-06 Tanger out of the safe the other day. I bought for $100 back in the 80s. Shoots great, smooth action. It spent two decades killing hogs and deer in South Florida and the Carolinas. Rain ,sweaty hands all over it and bouncing around on a swamp buggy. Metal still looks great. Its got one of those whippy thin barrels. First two shots always touch and the third is usually out to the right about an inch.
I got many other rifles these but I got no complaints with my Tanger. Frankly its my rifle that all the others where judged by.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an early '80's M77 in 7mm Rem Mag with a #75 prefix. The gun looks nice, but printed shotgun patterns out of the box. I had the trigger smoothed, the action bedded, and tried to work up some handloads. It still shot horribly. I sent it back to Ruger, and it came back shooting 2" groups. I hunted with it for a few years, but finally put it in the back of the safe to be forgotten.

It's true that my experience is only one data point. But when that data point is you, it makes a big impression. I did not touch another Ruger product for decades after that. I finally bought the wife a left-hand Hawkeye in .223 Rem off the "used rack" at the Cabelas in Billings, MT, a couple of years ago. There are not a lot of lefty options available, and it was priced right, so I took a chance. It shoots pretty good, but nothing to gush over.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple of Tangers I was given by my father and use them a fair bit. The limited COAL on the LA models is a bit of a pain, but I get by. The ergos have always suited me for a basic sporter platform.

Now with even more aplomb
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bugger
I don't hate Ruger's, it's just I've had more than my share of bad luck with them.

I read where some people love them and had good luck with them. It hasn't been so with me.

My experience also with CF rifles.

Now 10-22's and 22 RF pistols are a different story. Have shot tens of thousands of rounds through them since the 80's.

Arcus Venator
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quoteBoarmaster123]I got my 30-06 Tanger out of the safe the other day. I bought for $100 back in the 80s. Shoots great, smooth action. It spent two decades killing hogs and deer in South Florida and the Carolinas. Rain ,sweaty hands all over it and bouncing around on a swamp buggy. Metal still looks great. Its got one of those whippy thin barrels. First two shots always touch and the third is usually out to the right about an inch.
I got many other rifles these but I got no complaints with my Tanger. Frankly its my rifle that all the others where judged by.[/quote]

I have the same thing with my 270.. 1st 2 gets your hopes up for a one hole at 100 yards… 😆

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got my Tanger 77 in 1980 NIB from a trade. It's in 280. At first it was vertically stringing shots. After free-floating the barrel and bedding the action it became a great shooter. It's my most accurate centerfire rifle.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Got a few Tangers have had good luck with them by checking the torque

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4362689/Ruger_M77_torque_specs

Then a shim i have even used cut up pop or beer can shims infront of the lug if it is not shooting good try it then you can put some bedding there.

I have free floated the barrel and shimmed in that spot with real good luck.

Only one rifle a 338 Mag i could not get down to touching doing this. It ended up getting a new barrel on it.

Love my 77's

But now hunting i got this crazy rifle that i take everywhere hunting and the old Tangers are becoming safe queens.

My 257 AI Tanger is as accurate as they come and love that rifle.

But the Nula has won me over and the little 257 will have to sit for a bit until this fasanation cools.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 64 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.