Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
My sister that lives in Georgia sent me about two pounds of shelled black walnuts and 2 pounds of home made chocolate fudge. Yesterday, I made two batches of short bread with about a cup of nuts mixed in with each.

I have not had this since growing up m in Pennsylvania 70 years ago. Four of us kids would sit down in the cold garage around the holidays and crack/shell black walnuts using a piece of railroad iron and a ball peen hammer. My mother would make dark chocolate fudge with black walnuts or black walnut shortbread.

Brings back fond memories for sure.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
My sister that lives in Georgia sent me about two pounds of shelled black walnuts and 2 pounds of home made chocolate fudge. Yesterday, I made two batches of short bread with about a cup of nuts mixed in with each.

I have not had this since growing up m in Pennsylvania 70 years ago. Four of us kids would sit down in the cold garage around the holidays and crack/shell black walnuts using a piece of railroad iron and a ball peen hammer. My mother would make dark chocolate fudge with black walnuts or black walnut shortbread.

Brings back fond memories for sure.

My dad used to do the same thing. We would end up with 4 or 5 quart mason jars full, to this day I don’t like English walnut, I prefer black walnuts.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Grade school: Mom got wind of a gravel road somewhere that had walnut trees growing along it that were there for the collecting. Sunday afternoon found her, Dad, and me there loading them up. Back home, I was in charge of using a hammer to remove the outer covering, Dad breaking them, and Mom digging out the meats. Advance to later in the week. My teacher gives Mom a concerned call about noticing that my fingers had a suspicious stain on them, perhaps from smoking. In the midst of the subsequent execution without benefit of trial, my guardian angel clicked on the light in Mom's head and she realized that the stain was from the walnut husks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love black walnut cake and ice cream. Been quite a few years since I have had either. Really, all my fault. There are many trees where I hunt and I am just to lazy to gather, husk and break open and pick out. Just the thought of it does bring back some great memories though.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Grade school: Mom got wind of a gravel road somewhere that had walnut trees growing along it that were there for the collecting. Sunday afternoon found her, Dad, and me there loading them up. Back home, I was in charge of using a hammer to remove the outer covering, Dad breaking them, and Mom digging out the meats. Advance to later in the week. My teacher gives Mom a concerned call about noticing that my fingers had a suspicious stain on them, perhaps from smoking. In the midst of the subsequent execution without benefit of trial, my guardian angel clicked on the light in Mom's head and she realized that the stain was from the walnut husks.

We would gather the walnuts after 1st frost when they fell. Dad would put a snow tire on the drive wheel of our 49 Mercury. Jack it up and block it so it was about an inch off the ground. Then he would stand half a sheet of plywood or what ever we had around and brace it .Start the Merc, put it in gear, and us kids would take turns throwing walnuts with husk under the tire. If tried too early then husks would not come off.

Every so often we would stop and pick the walnuts out of the pile. Then they were put up on the sloped roof of an old shed to dry out for a month or so. Usually by early December. Then we hauled the hulls to the hollow over the hill. I don't think there was kid in school that didn't have stained hands during that time of the year except for a few city kids.We probably had 2-3 bushels each year.

When I went back for dad's funeral a few years ago, I notice several bushels of them s sitting down it the garage. Probably many years old as he didn't have anyone to crack them anymore. He never kept walnut trees close to the house. Nothing would grow under them. He always had a big garden to feed us kids from.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cracking nuts around the woodstove in the basement. That brings back a few.
Walnuts aren't bad to hammer crack, Butternut are harder, and harder to do.

Hickory nuts just plain sick.
Tough as hell, and small enough that your fingers get cracked too.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A hand corn sheller will take the hulls off the shells, digging the nuts out, well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love them. My grand dads farm in the Loess Hills of Iowa was/is full of black walnut trees. Punishment as a kid from mom was sometimes picking out a cup of black walnuts. It sucks!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Disgusting things. Dad forced us to pick them up, husk, and remove the meat. If I ever eat another piece of black walnut fudge it will be too soon.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had a spot in the driveway where you turned around Just put them there for a few days and the hulls were all mashed off by car tires. Just rake the old hulls away and spread more. Easy peasy. And anyone who ever picked hickory nuts, loved to pick black walnuts. I swear you could starve to death picking hickory nuts to eat.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The dried walnut hulls and household ammonia make an amazing walnut stain. I use a 1 gallon jug, about 1/2 full of small chunks of dried hulls,
and pour the ammonia in until the jug is full. Let it set for approx 6 mos. until you have a nice brown liquid. It should have a walnut smell
by then. Setting longer is OK. When you are happy with the stain pour the liquid off and leave the pulp in the jug to throw away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ipopum
The dried walnut hulls and household ammonia make an amazing walnut stain. I use a 1 gallon jug, about 1/2 full of small chunks of dried hulls,
and pour the ammonia in until the jug is full. Let it set for approx 6 mos. until you have a nice brown liquid. It should have a walnut smell
by then. Setting longer is OK. When you are happy with the stain pour the liquid off and leave the pulp in the jug to throw away.

TAG

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Disgusting things. Dad forced us to pick them up, husk, and remove the meat. If I ever eat another piece of black walnut fudge it will be too soon.

Walnuts (even without bits of hull) do not in any way, shape, or form belong in fudge.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My great grandparents had big black walnut trees in their back yard. Great tasting but hard to shell. I have found memories of sitting with my grandfather, who saw the end of the old West, and eating those black walnuts while he was telling me first hand stories about Charles Goodnight, Billy Dixon, his XIT cowboy friends and relatives, horses and wrangling on the JA and Turkey Track.

I recently bought a farm that had two medium sized trees that my dad thought were crab apples. I got to looking and they are black walnut trees. The mule deer seem to like to hang out under those trees, but I'm not sure if they're eating them. My BIL photographed a BIG mule deer under those trees.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 01/07/23.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Hickory nuts are sure enough harder to crack and pick, but to me, one of the best tasting nuts. We had a few butter nut trees around, but didn't mess with them much.

Having kids sit around cracking walnuts a heck of a lot better better than having them staring at a phone screen texting.IMO

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Walnuts (even without bits of hull) do not in any way, shape, or form belong in fudge.
I can’t believe how wrong this is.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Freshly dropped black walnuts make excellant throwing ammo at your kid brother.

The trick is not to get hit back.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

No shīt. Walnuts absolutely belong in fudge and chocolate chip cookies.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Amen to that!

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by ironbender
No shīt. Walnuts absolutely belong in fudge and chocolate chip cookies.
And banana bread.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.