Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Over the last year or so I've noticed in this forum that the Savage 99 EG isn't held in as high a regard as many of the other models.....or so it seems from the comments.

Maybe it's not sought by true "collectors" due to it not being very rare, but as far as I am concerned it is the prettiest, best balanced of the 99's and is by far my favorite. I've even gone so far as to replace the wood on a late-model (post 99) .358 with EG wood (the original straight stock and "scooped-out" forend are stored for later if I ever sell another gun....or whoever inherits it wants to). It just looks and feels better with that slim pistol grip and splinter, snobble forend to me.

To me.....the "F" models are OK but with a forend that is too deep and thick to feel good. The "T" is like an "F" with an infection....the forend is all "swoll-up" and too heavy and clumsy. The early "A" models are alright but I prefer the feel of a pistol grip. I own all of these variations but none "fell" right except the EG.

Am I wrong? Is the EG as unpopular as I think it is? If so I am very willing to buy-trade for any you have that are too "ugly" for your taste.

Who else likes the EG and if not tell me why and which model you do prefer.

........for some you could even put a compass in the stock to make it "better" and still have a great felling EG.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
+1 for the EG..

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
they're a little heavy............but my favorite also - EG

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an EG that is getting a set of stith mounts and also a Lyman Alaskan scope. That should yout how I feek about mine.

300 Savage

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love the EG, next to the old 1899's it is the "classic" Savage 99 to me. Well, okay, the 99G hits the mark also. I've got 3 99T's, and 3 99EG's, and like them about the same. Agree that the 99T doesn't have that classic Savage look or feel to it though.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Over the last year or so I've noticed in this forum that the Savage 99 EG isn't held in as high a regard as many of the other models.....

It is held in high regards to those who know better ... or those who have a " refined eye " .....

Maybe it's not sought by true "collectors" due to it not being very rare

Finding one in 99+% condition is rare though ...... and if you do stumble on one that is - hope you're smart enough to snatch it up . You can't be a " true Savage 99 collector " and not own one . Some caliber offerings are indeed hard to find . Namely one in .243 WCF and 22 Hi-Power ......

but as far as I am concerned it is the prettiest, best balanced of the 99's and is by far my favorite

Preach on brother Rick .... preach on ! wink .... The EG - as far as my tastes go , is the most appealing to the eye �� yes , perfect balance / feel coupled with the 24 inch barrel for maximum velocity and longer sight radius ( for tang / peep sights ) � all this with no " muzzle heavy " feel to it ... The EG is the best model 99 ever designed . The majority of the men buying a 99 thought the same thing because it out sold all the other variations �..and for good reason .

To me.....the "F" models are OK but with a forend that is too deep and thick to feel good.

I assume you are referring to the post WW-II " F " ..... I got to say that the " F " is the best hunting lever action ever designed due to the " feathery feel " , and in my experience , the most accurate 99 due to the superior metallurgy / tooling that was available when it was marketed ( after WW-II ) . But this can be said about any 99 made after 1947'ish ........

Side note : the most accurate 99 I own is a 1956 " F " chambered for the .243 WCF .... 1/2 inch groups @ 100 yards all day long if I do my part .

The early " F " is also a very nice field rifle ...

The "T" is like an "F" with an infection....the forend is all "swoll-up" and too heavy and clumsy.

That's too funny ! grin ... I regard the " T " as a anemic R/RS - down sized if you will ...... clumsy and club like for sure with no distinct lines .... most guys like the " T " because there are few of them - pure and simple . grin

The early "A" models are alright but I prefer the feel of a pistol grip.

I too prefer the pistol grip .... especially the pistol gripped perch bellied variations that were made prior to 1920 ....

Am I wrong? Is the EG as unpopular as I think it is?

Wrong ?! ... Wrong ?! .... the only thing that is wrong is selling a minty EG ..... and 2 boys kissing .

Oh boy ... did you just open a can worms grin....

for some you , you could even put a compass in the stock to make it "better" and still have a great felling EG.

Les is the one who likes the compasses ...... he's the Gent that goes by the handle " violator22 " grin......

Bring on the criticism smirk .......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gd'40EG-300

Over the last year or so I've noticed in this forum that the Savage 99 EG isn't held in as high a regard as many of the other models.....

It is held in high regards to those who know better ... or those who have a " refined eye " .....

Maybe it's not sought by true "collectors" due to it not being very rare

Finding one in 99+% condition is rare though ...... and if you do stumble on one that is - hope you're smart enough to snatch it up . You can't be a " true Savage 99 collector " and not own one . Some caliber offerings are indeed hard to find . Namely one in .243 WCF and 22 Hi-Power ......

but as far as I am concerned it is the prettiest, best balanced of the 99's and is by far my favorite

Preach on brother Rick .... preach on ! wink .... The EG - as far as my tastes go , is the most appealing to the eye �� yes , perfect balance / feel coupled with the 24 inch barrel for maximum velocity and longer sight radius ( for tang / peep sights ) � all this with no " muzzle heavy " feel to it ... The EG is the best model 99 ever designed . The majority of the men buying a 99 thought the same thing because it out sold all the other variations �..and for good reason .

To me.....the "F" models are OK but with a forend that is too deep and thick to feel good.

I assume you are referring to the post WW-II " F " ..... I got to say that the " F " is the best hunting lever action ever designed due to the " feathery feel " , and in my experience , the most accurate 99 due to the superior metallurgy / tooling that was available when it was marketed ( after WW-II ) . But this can be said about any 99 made after 1947'ish ........

Side note : the most accurate 99 I own is a 1956 " F " chambered for the .243 WCF .... 1/2 inch groups @ 100 yards all day long if I do my part .

The early " F " is also a very nice field rifle ...

The "T" is like an "F" with an infection....the forend is all "swoll-up" and too heavy and clumsy.

That's too funny ! grin ... I regard the " T " as a anemic R/RS - down sized if you will ...... clumsy and club like for sure with no distinct lines .... most guys like the " T " because there are few of them - pure and simple . grin

The early "A" models are alright but I prefer the feel of a pistol grip.

I too prefer the pistol grip .... especially the pistol gripped perch bellied variations that were made prior to 1920 ....

Am I wrong? Is the EG as unpopular as I think it is?

Wrong ?! ... Wrong ?! .... the only thing that is wrong is selling a minty EG ..... and 2 boys kissing .

Oh boy ... did you just open a can worms grin....

for some you , you could even put a compass in the stock to make it "better" and still have a great felling EG.

Les is the one who likes the compasses ...... he's the Gent that goes by the handle " violator22 " grin......

Bring on the criticism smirk .......

MAN you are ONE LONGWINDED FELLOW. If I typed that much, by the time I finished I'd be retired. Did you just say you like the EG??? If not, I'll say it now. I LOVE MY EG!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's my wonderful rat EG's..

[Linked Image]

PS: The 99T attracted me before I ever knew it was rare. Got my Murray's, and that was the page that I kept coming back to. When I ran into my first 99T (the 250-3000), knew it was love. grin

But the EG is the workhorse and would be my first recommendation for helping anybody pick out a Savage hunting rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I EVER find a 99T that I can afford, the whole world will know it.!!!!!! smile grin

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I LIKE THE LOOK AND FEEL OF THE E.G.
Some folks around consider them tomato_stakes/Fence posts!>Sorry Joe! grin
There has always been somthin about a any gun with a schnable!
It Feels Right When Holding,Has a Classy Look.
But Then I Like My "T"'s ever since i got my 1st,,compared to an R or F it's just Somethin About Them.
My 1st Choice is a T and 2nd would Be an E.G. any anything there after.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
THe 99 EG has ELEGANCE ,period.

READ THE BIBLE-IT WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!
NO 99"s ARE JUNK, FDP
NRA Endowment Life Member
US Air Force Retired,Phantom Phixer
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
I like my EGs,but the deer hate them!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only one 99...it is an EG. Best looking of the 99's by far!

I have two bolt actions I really love; a 50 year old Husqvarna in .243 and a Mauser .30-06 that belonged to my grandfather. They have the schnabel forearm.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I love my EG. It was the schnoble that fueled my savage additiction. It feels for me like part of my anatomy when I throw it up to shoot.
It might be the "heavy rifle" of the savage line, but the pre war "R" is a thing of beauty too.
No matter which specific model you gravitate to, you can't loose. (IMHO)
Jerry

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenster99
[Linked Image]
I like my EGs,but the deer hate them!

SHOW-OFF!!!!!! grin grin grin grin laugh
Kne
Now that deer is number 1,,But what it Made it all Possible ,,was the man behind the gun and the gun also.
Wow! I really like that buck!
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Everybody probably getting sick of that picture, but its the second biggest I have ever shot, so gotta keep posting it!!Was really glad I grabbed the 250 that morning, was going to take my pre-64 featherweight m-70 in 270, but what fun would that have been? smile Good luck hunting Stever

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To my eyes the "EG" has the classic Savage lines! For my hands though, the rifle is a little heavy to be carrying all day.

Managed to find a very clean 250-3000 that was sold a year eariler as "unfired" for $750.- (an unheard of sum by Canadian standards!) I purchased for less as it was fired and am very pleased to own it. smile

What kills me is when some guys poo-poo the "EG" as commen and plain, then they tell ya how highly they think of their 1929 TD 300 Sav "G"! (Same length of barrel, same lines) wink wink wink

Last edited by olgrouser; 11/13/07.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That picture is excellent.. Don't ever see a 99F getting the job done like that. Nope.. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Burt, My 1923 "G" is much more graceful then the "EG" and not the same at all. I know the "G" was upsized at sometime after that because my 1930 "G" is bigger. Do you know when the "G" switched??

Thanks, Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
I have only one 99...it is an EG. Best looking of the 99's by far!

Same here. Love the EG!

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (69sportfury, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.