Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I just made another purchase here and the seller requested check or money order. I feel that soldering my retina would be more pleasant than going to the post office (this can vary by geography). Thus, it occurred to me.

If I can mobile deposit a check, why can't I send someone a check image and have the seller deposit it? What do we need Venmo, Paypal, etc., for? Makes no sense.

I managed payment system and credit card fraud for 2 years for our company and can't see how sending a mobile image is riskier than sending a paper check. The sender could password protect the image, email the image, then text the password to the recipient. That's safer than sending a paper check. Of course, no one collects a fee...

I can have my bank send a check as well, just not sure how long it takes. probably faster than a paper check. Still, I have to manually enter their information AND I need their phone number. I'm more likely to give you my kidney than I am my phone number. I've no issue providing my phone number to an honest member, but only one scammer gets that number and my world could change.

End rant.

Last edited by Joseywales; 01/08/23.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just curious…

If the seller would accept a check, why not just drop one in your mailbox instead of going to the post office?

For the seller to deposit a check image via mobile deposit, how would he/ she endorse it? That sounds like a cool concept but there are things you have to write on the back of the check to deposit it with mobile deposit. At least with my bank.

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hell just have your bank mail a check through bill pay. I do it all the time to pay people, basically like mailing a cashiers check.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bill pay works for me. Been using it for years and NEVER a problem. Takes about the same amount of time as snail mailing a check. You could still wait for it to clear if you were so inclined.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Isn't that kind of how Zelle works? It basically just lets you deposit into other bank accounts without physically sending paper or using a 3rd party like Venmo or Paypal?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have your bank or credit union send a check for you, it tends to add 2-4 days to the payment arrival time. If it matters to the seller, it’s worth mentioning on the front end.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using Zelle.

I like guns | optics | fishing
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Zelle and it works well, but it's my understanding that they offer little to no fraud support.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
If you have your bank or credit union send a check for you, it tends to add 2-4 days to the payment arrival time. If it matters to the seller, it’s worth mentioning on the front end.
Agreed, but my bank requires the Recipient (seller’s) phone number.

As a seller, how likely are you to provide a phone number? I’m not thrilled about giving anyone my phone number.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jcon72
I've used Zelle and it works well, but it's my understanding that they offer little to no fraud support.
But they're also not supposed to be reporting, re: PayPal and Venmo.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As a seller, how likely are you to provide a phone number?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
l
l
l-------- you're mileage may vary

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zelle has maximum daily limits on payments, at least to new additions to your contacts list. $500 in my case. YEMV

So if I buy something for $2100 from someone and they only take zelle, I'm on the hook for 5 payments over 5 days. No big deal, but a real inconvenience a opposed to dropping a check in the mail and forgetting about it.

Last edited by Fiddy; 01/08/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Zelle has maximum daily limits on payments, at least to new additions to your contacts list. $500 in my case. YEMV

So if I buy something for $2100 from someone and they only take zelle, I'm on the hook for 5 payments over 5 days. No big deal, but a real inconvenience a opposed to dropping a check in the mail and forgetting about it.

This has always been my preference too and with a check they don't ask what it is for (firearms).

Originally Posted by Joseywales

As a seller, how likely are you to provide a phone number? I’m not thrilled about giving anyone my phone number.

I have no problem giving out my number. Heck, I bet there are at least 100 people on here that have it already. I want to be transparent and let the buyer know that I am honest and they won't get stiffed. If I don't recognize a phone number, I just don't answer. If it is important they will leave a message.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Joseywales

Originally Posted by 160user
I have no problem giving out my number. Heck, I bet there are at least 100 people on here that have it already. I want to be transparent and let the buyer know that I am honest and they won't get stiffed. If I don't recognize a phone number, I just don't answer. If it is important they will leave a message.

Same here, especially with higher dollar items. There are a ton of scammers on these forums these days. As a buyer, if you won't give me your phone number and have a chat with me via phone or text, I am out, unless I have had some other type of interaction with you on the forum.

I give my number readily and encourage buyers to call, text, or even FaceTime me so that they can confirm I am legit.

Oh, and in response to the OPs question, neither one of my banks will allow for any digital images except the ones captured via their app. Also, there is no way to endorse the check via a digital image.

Last edited by HandgunHTR; 01/08/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
+1 on providing the number, it adds to the sellers integrity and puts the buyer at ease.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have had no issues asking for or giving my phone number during deals. Especially more expensive ones.

If someone was hesitant to give a cell number, I’d most likely not continue with that deal.

Somewhat of an interesting thread. Although to me, trying to reinvent the wheel. However, options are good.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use USPSMOs only, receiving and sending. I’ve never had an issue with them. Possibly some people have not done business with me because of my insistence on that for of payment. So be it.
A number of times I’ve been asked for my phone number. I gave it. The potential buyer called me. Off the top of my head, those calls all resulted in the transaction proceeding.
EDIT Several times, for smaller transactions, cash has been sent by me and received by me.

Last edited by dale06; 01/08/23.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The previous point about Face Time as a seller is a good one. What a great way to let a prospective buyer "inspect" a firearm you have for sale. As a buyer, doing that would put me very much at ease regarding a high-dollar purchase.
As sellers we are asking the buyer to put a great deal of trust in us. A seller that wouldn't share his phone number with me would make me pretty hesitant as a buyer.

Rex

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Joe_S
Just curious…

If the seller would accept a check, why not just drop one in your mailbox instead of going to the post office?

For the seller to deposit a check image via mobile deposit, how would he/ she endorse it? That sounds like a cool concept but there are things you have to write on the back of the check to deposit it with mobile deposit. At least with my bank.

Take a pic of both sides of the check with your sig on the back. My bank has just recently required my account number on the back also for mobile deposit. I have not physically been at my bank in months.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Lots of good feedback. I think the value of the deal drives some of the options. If I'm selling or buying higher dollar items, swapping phone numbers makes sense. I'm just so tired of telemarketing calls. I have two cells, one is for work. Onn either phone, if a name doesn't appear, I'm not answering.

Facetiming is interesting, again depending on value. I've been very fortunate on my online purchases. Probably only one or two that weren't quite as clean as I'd hoped, but I've never been burned.

I had a knife stolen with USPS. We filed a claim for $107, they sent me a check for $321. Probably explains the current state of affairs in that organization.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.