Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I am planning out a long vacation this year and would like to hear some ideas of where to go. We have been to most of the national parks and monuments and are looking for a relaxing getaway. Anyone have a suggestion you'd care to offer? Duration would be about two weeks. Not interested in long boat rides or foreign countries this year.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You mean a vacation that you don’t need a vacation from when its over ?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Time of year?

Wouldn't suggest Phoenix in the "summer."

Ymmv

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
You mean a vacation that you don’t need a vacation from when its over ?

Exactly.

Originally Posted by Jcubed
Time of year?

Wouldn't suggest Phoenix in the "summer."

Ymmv

Haven't nailed down a date yet, but somewhere between July and October would be best. Lots of possibilities.

"What's the point of being retired if you can't climb trees and wash your feet in the creek?" - Teal
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Aside from spending more time in mountains. I might suggest St George Island Florida in mid-October through mid - November or even mid May. Get there when people are not. It is a sleepy little island in old florida. 28 miles long 800 houses and no condos, no fighting people on beach or in restaurants. Great fishing during both seasons from the beach, rent a kayak and fish or hire a guide at a reasonable rate. Not much to do but relax, beach, fish and drink. Golfing is available, but not a priority.

Acadia National Park is amazing in the early fall; but not really in your window.

Camping opens up Big South Fork in Kentucky/Tennessee. It is a little known and little used recreation area that is absolutely beautiful. If you are not camping; this is on the place to go.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm wound up pretty tight, so most vacations, by the time I un-wind, it's time to go home.
But Alaska was not the case.

Spent ten days there in 2020 in August.
Place is unbelievable.
We rented a SUV from Turo and drove everywhere. Roughly 5-6 hours every other day.
The drives were some of my favorite parts.
No rush to get anywhere.

Last edited by Simplepeddler; 01/10/23.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We go to Cozumel every summer. Lots to do there. We rent a beach house for a week also in Surfside.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Colorado14er: RECONSIDER the "long boat rides" for a relaxing, low stress and beautiful "away from home" vacation.
I am actively planning on two more long boat cruises, myself, before I "time out".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
October is typically the peak of the fall colors in the Great lakes. The bugs have mellowed out, the fishing is pretty good and the grouse hunting is pretty good too. You could include a short trip to Isle Royale if that is your thing.

Last edited by 160user; 01/10/23.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Harbor Island in the Bahamas or Florida Keys are pretty good too.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
I'm wound up pretty tight, so most vacations, by the time I un-wind, it's time to go home.
But Alaska was not the case.

Spent ten days there in 2020 in August.
Place is unbelievable.
We rented a SUV from Turo and drove everywhere. Roughly 5-6 hours every other day.
The drives were some of my favorite parts.
No rush to get anywhere.
That’s the exact vacation I have in mind, except I was thinking early September to avoid Alaskas state bird.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The beginning of September ain’t gonna keep you out of the skeeters….😉

I’ve hunted the interior many times in the end of August beginning of September time frame and we had plenty of mosquitoes to keep us company. I suppose it’s really weather dependent but I would plan on mosquitoes if I was planning for the first couple weeks of September and be happy if you get lucky and they get froze out.

Irregardless of mosquitoes or anything else…there’s no more beautiful country in the world than there is in the great state of Alaska.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aleppo Syria is beautiful this time of year.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We did Alaska the first part September in 2013 and I don't recall mosquitos being an issue. This was one of my all time favorite vacations. We flew into Anchorage and rented a Class C motorhome and put 1,000 miles on it over a two week period. From Seward to Denali with lots of places in between.
Highlights were Kenai Fiords day cruise, the Alaska Railroad Hurricane Turn train ride out of Talkeetna (day trip), and of course Denali Natl. Park.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Alaska all the way, just driving the road system is cool. Fish grayling at roadside turnouts, hit a few museums, drive the haul road, hot springs 2 weeks is just a taste of that place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for Alaska. We did 10 or so days, 2 rented RVs, 1500 miles, anchorage to Seward to Denali to Coopers Landing/Homer. Halibut charter, Kenai Fjords dinner cruise, Denali bus tour, salmon fishing after a 2 mile hike. I’d go again in a heartbeat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]
That’s the exact vacation I have in mind, except I was thinking early September to avoid Alaskas state bird.[/quote]

May through September isn't the time to visit if you want to avoid the state bird. Of course, if you carry a good supply of bug dope with you, you'll be fine. JMHO, but I live here.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,940
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.