-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They modeled Archie Bunker after my father.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Those cone shaped chocolate covered candies were called n****r toes by everyone where I grew up. I never heard anybody call them anything else and everybody knew what was meant when it was said.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Eggplant in Italian is melanzana, but it is pronounced mulignan. Heard that a time or three growing up, not in reference to the vegetable.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Those cone shaped chocolate covered candies were called n****r toes by everyone where I grew up. I never heard anybody call them anything else and everybody knew what was meant when it was said.

I have heard Brazil nuts called that.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My granddad on moms side referred to full sized ones as darkies, the little ones as pikaninnies.
At the zoo when #1 son was about four he saw his first black family. “Look mom, those people are b l a c k” like he figured they couldn’t spell.
My little brother had very curly hair. A black kid wanted to rub his hand in it. Reverse harassment?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mike_S

That's also what my FIL called Brazil nuts.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evenin, my Dad was in the hospital to get a new heart (88 years old) Dr must of bin on drugs, they don't do transplants on anyone over 85!!! Anyway they sent him down in an ambulance, they went through with the usual tests and said he wouldn't survive the operation. My uncle and I went down to pick him up, uncle went to look after paper work I went to his room. All the orderlies were big black females. Well Dad how are they treating you??? "Get me outa here!!!!!! I've never seen so many GDam [bleep] in one place in all my life!!!! Whoa Dad, you better hope your getting out today, ya may not live till morning !!!! Dad! there the ones doing all the hard stuff no one else wants to do. Like feeding you, bathing you, making your bed, if ya half to stay you may have a rough night. He got out so that was good, no accidents through the wee hrs. Got him home and he lived to be 92! Don't think I'm as tough as him so we'll see. Hell he trapped till he was 86yrs old, granted he would drive an ATV or snowmachine right up to the set!!! GWP. 🇨🇦⭕️🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Me agin, remember those big black nuts at Christmas ?? [bleep] toes, what ta hell are they really called???? When I was a teenager in high school we had a negro machine shop teacher (best teacher ever)!!!!! He liked duck hunting & actually hunted on dumb bell lake just off of our trapline to the east so we talked about hunting a lot. We were talking one day & he asked how we retrieved our ducks?? Oh we have this little stray black spaniel called.......... I stopped and I'm sure the red face gave it away but like I said a great teacher and a great man, he just carried right on like nothing happened. He's in a nursing home now and now if this pandemic chit is done my cousin and I are going to see him. WGP or WPG 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I went to a predominately black high school and took Auto Shop my Junior and Senior years (1986-1987). Our teacher was named Jack Lybrand and he was a hoot. He was only 58-59, but at the time that seemed like an "old man". He and I instantly hit it off because I always had gun and hunting magazines with me and he was like-minded. He would always tell me hunting stories before and after class. He was just a great man, but had no filter. On several occasions he dropped the "N-Word" , and NOBODY CARED...this was '86-'87. One day the power went off and it was so dark you couldn't see your hand. Ol' Lybrand says "One of you ni***rs smile so I can see!" The whole class laughed out loud and nobody got offended. Different times...

Lybrand and I stayed in touch for the rest of his life and he would come see me at work often (gun stores). He passed in 2019 and I went to his funeral.

His obit:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/thestate/name/jack-lybrand-obituary?id=9880223

I can see why y'all got along so good. Sounds like a great man, sorry for your loss.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike_S

That is what i called until until I was about 30. That was what they were called. I never thought much about it.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My maternal grandmother's comments and conversations were loaded with such stuff as many have noted here - and a lot more. Often made my Dad's ears burn.

But, it did not take old age or rising senility to enable of fuel her - she passed away before she turned 60. Nana. Great gal.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
See ya in the funny papers.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
LOL... I remember my parents in the 60's with the bowl full of assorted nuts and calling the Brazil Nuts "N----r Toes". We kids all looked at our parents like, "What"?!? ...'cause we were listening to Motown, Sly & The Family Stone, along with The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, etc...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hmm, he pissed off the Niqqer nurse and now he has passed, curious cat say hmmmm.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ButchA61
LOL... I remember my parents in the 60's with the bowl full of assorted nuts and calling the Brazil Nuts "N----r Toes". We kids all looked at our parents like, "What"?!? ...'cause we were listening to Motown, Sly & The Family Stone, along with The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, etc...

When I was a kid in the 60’s, GrandDad would tell us if we weren’t “good”, all we’d get for Christmas was a stocking full of N.igger Toes. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

No they were hooked tits,,toes were Brazil nuts

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kennymauser
When I was growing up my dad who was from Iowa, took us kids Ni**GER fishing a lot! . . .

In this region, that was what was said when
one person was using 10 cane poles with a
bobber as big as a baseball and fishing for
bream and catfish. No intentional carp
fishing, but none got thrown back

You'd see them either arriving or leaving in
a sedan de ville with a huge wad of cane
poles poking out of the back window

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story Remsen...

I came alk orepared with:
"When I was your age ....". But I was pleasantly syrprised by your heart warming tale...

Keep the good memories flowing

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When my Grandmother went senile and wound up in a nursing home,she regressed in her mind to just about before WW 2, the stuff she came out with was pretty funny,and the staff understood she came from a different time.
Out of the blue she yelled at one of the Jamican orderlies," HEY YOU ! WHAT ARE YOU DOING DOWN HERE ? YOU KNOW YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SIT IN THE BALCONY WITH THE REST OF THE DARKIES ,NOW GIT ! " and her last one,"BILLY ! THANK GOD YOU'RE HERE,THE DARKIES STOLE MY SOCKS !"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Step Dad was a young Marine in 1949 and was stationed in NYC, and got engaged to an Italian gal from the Bronx. Her mother came down to Chattanooga TN, to visit his mother since their two children were engaged to each other. Then Bob got transferred to Japan, and then South Korea was invaded by N. Korea, and he was with the first Marines to be shipped over from Japan to Korea. He spent his entire time, until the Korea War ended on his 21st Birthday, July 27, 1953.

Meanwhile after being there for 6 months, his fiancé from NYC wrote him a dear John letter and told him she was engaged and then married to some other guy. But her mother " Mrs DiRusso", had gotten to know and loved my grandmother, ever summer she'd come down to Tennessee and visit her for a month or so...They became lifelong friends. Mrs DiRusso also came to visit us, no matter where my dad was stationed at, the whole time I was growing up. It was like she was a third grandmother.

She has always came down from New York to visit my Grandmother. Well in 1972, she instead convinced the family to send Grandma up to NYC, to visit her, since the furthest north she'd even been was Washington DC, which was pretty much home base for our family.

Mrs DiRusso was pretty involved in Democrat Politics, and in 1972 she was campaigning and on the committee for Bela Abzug for Congress. The one reservation she had while Grandma was up there, was she had a large meeting to go to at lunch time at a restaurant ran by black women, specializing in "Soul Food". The gal who owned the place told Mrs DiRusso to go ahead and bring her. Grandma who was born in 1900 was like most people in Tennessee in 1972, called black folks N*^@gers. She meant no harm in it...Grandma was also kind of shy and standoffish...

So at the restaurant there in Harlem, they close up and they were going to each lunch and then do their political meetings, when Bela Abzug was suppose to show up. So they asked Grandma if she had ever had soul food. Her response was she never even heard of it...." oh you're in for a treat!" she was told.. they serve it and she was telling them, why do you call this soul food? This is the same type of food I grew up on in Tennessee.

So they were waiting for her to take a bite or two, all interested in what her opinion of it would be....So when she was asked how did she like it? her response was her usual, " oh its good"... but her face said different. " you don't like it do ya?"..... her response was did you put this in it, or that?
"NO" was the response....the cooks wanted her to come in the kitchen and show how she would cook it... Grandma was the first person they had ever had contact that knew how to cook all of this stuff.. some little old White Lady from Tennessee....

Well in the kitchen, women being women.... Grandma is adding all of this or that, and the Black Ladies loved EVERYTHING she did to their recipes...
They are writing ALL of this down.. Soon they are in there slapping each other on the back, laughing etc. Mrs DiRusso almost had a heart attack when Grandma made the state statemen " Y'all are the nicest bunch of N*^@gers I've ever been around"..

Instead of being shocked, or mad these women started laughing like crazy, either hugging her or slapping her on the back.. and someone tells Grandma she's the nicest Southern Redneck they ever met....The political meeting went out the window, Bela Abzug could never make it any way.

My grandmother ended up getting a Christmas card from each of these women, until they passed or she passed in 1986. My granddad was pretty shocked when many of these black women from Harlem would make a trip down to Chattanooga in pairs or threesomes to visit her for a week or two...

Grandpa didn't warm up to people like Grandma did, so it was hard time when some of those women visit... he would take off and spend a week or two with some of his own kids when Grandma "had company"....

Being from the south, at least in our family.. white and black folks got along a lot better, than you see white and black people getting along since my college days and beyond...

Sure there were hard core rednecks and hard core black racists back then, but I think it is has gotten a lot worse since the 70s than I saw growing up.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 6 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.