Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What AR 10 would you recommend/build? Mostly for some hunting and range work. Want to get a suppressor on it at some point.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ightweight-m-lok-str-2-stage-rifle6.html

Save 2% if you do an Active Junky link to PSA.

IMHO... easy and done

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LMBO!
I built (assembled?) about 10 AR15's when I suddenly decided I wanted to build an AR10.
Boy! What a rude awakening!
I bought a stripped upper from Aero Precision and a stripped lower from PSA and a lower parts kit from an outfit in Florida.
The holes in the upper and lower didn't match up.
The pins in the LPK fit the lower, but not the upper.
One fiasco right after another.
Finally figured out that each AR10 maker is proprietary!
When buying AR10 parts, always ask if the parts/pieces are DPMS cut/compatible.
There is a distinct difference between an AR15 and AR10 buffer tube. 😖
Finally, after eventually getting the lower "correctly" assembled, parts for the upper became painful. What fit what?
Who's parts were DPMS cut/compatible and who's weren't?
Then, searching for parts one day, I found a completed AR10 upper in .308 for $259!
Conundrum avoided! ....and much cheaper than ordering parts and returning them! 😕

I still have my eleven pound AR10 in .308 Win.
Love it.

Just be sure that the parts you're ordering are compatible with the parts you have.

Once the military accepted the AR15, the ARMY released specific dimensions for all parts. All AR15 parts are compatible.
The military never accepted the AR10, so never issued "mil spec" for their production.
Ergo, all AR10 parts aren't compatible manufacturer to manufacturer.

"All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs!"

P.S. - not to be a stick in the mud, but if you buy all your parts and pieces from the same manufacturer, your chances of all parts fitting improves greatly. 😉

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 01/09/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For building, I’d go with an Aero precision M5E1

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Buy once, cry once. POF Revolution .308 direct impingement. You'll appreciate an AR-308 that weighs less than 7lbs. They even have some lighter models, weighing less than 6 lbs.

POF Revolution

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Go aero system

Get a good barrel. Build and rock on

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ordered one of these, put it on a PSA lower with a RRA NM trigger, shoots incredible
https://veriforcetactical.com/product/ar-6-5-creedmoor-longbow-upper-with-m-lok-handguard/

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a Rock River, great shooter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
After building 3 AR-10, I bought the new Ruger SFAR w/16” barrel. Really happy with it so far.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys!

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had an original AR-10 from Armalite and that cured me of wanting one. I’ve been eyeing the new Ruger but I’m still kinda wary. Figure that’s probably the way I’d go if I ever want another one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m having decent luck with an Aero M5 upper receiver and lower, A2 buttstock, 15” handguard, and a 20” Faxon Big Gunner barrel paired up with iron sights and a rifle length gas system. Does well enough, but I’ll admit my handguard feels a bit heavy and throws off the balance a tad.

The big do’s I’d say are:
-Do a rifle length gas system if possible, it really helps with the feel of these rifles
-use an adjustable gas block
-make sure your upper and lower receivers are from the same manufacturer. As noted above, they were not cross compatible like the AR15
-don’t buy an Aero/Ballistic Advantage barrel unless you plan to enlarge the gas port. The one drilled is too small for the 308 cartridge.
-sweet spot is probably going to be 18” if you can find that length barrel, as 16” will not be fully burnt by the time it hits your suppressor and with a can 20” will probably be too unwieldy.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. Yes 18" barrel for sure

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I kind of like my Armalite. Maybe not the lightest, or the sexiest looking, but it works for me.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
No mistake, my Armalite worked but was too heavy. It was a 16” 308 and was the best use I ever found for Varget but dang that thing got heavier every time I picked it up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I kind of like my Armalite. Maybe not the lightest, or the sexiest looking, but it works for me.

The op is asking about building. Did you build your Armalite? I like my Armalite as well, but I didn’t build it. If we want to talk factory rifles, I prefer my S&W Performance center more. It came equipped with everything I wanted. However I added the PRS stock, K2s grip, and RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger. The rifle always shoots sub Moa 10 shot groups. The 5R barrel probably helps with that

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
He said recommend/build, given the weight issue and the non compatible parts, I wouldn't build one, I'd buy one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
He said recommend/build, given the weight issue and the non compatible parts, I wouldn't build one, I'd buy one.
That’s the route I went. At the time, it seemed more logical. However, I have some friends that have built some nice accurate rifles, using Aero receivers and BA barrels. I’d be tempted to go that route, but like you say, they are heavy. I rarely shoot either of my ar10 rifles, but prefer the Performance center over the Armalite, mainly because it’s chambered in 6.5 man bun

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had both a DPMS and a PSA. The PSA had reliability issues. Dunno if it was just my particular rifle, as I've had good luck with other PSA guns/parts. The DPMS needed a heavier buffer but was fine after that. I preferred the 16" barrel on the DPMS. They both were too heavy, so I sold them. If I were ever to get back into the large-frame AR platform, I would definitely want one of the lighter weight renditions.

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I just picked up a POF Rogue today .308 weighing in @ 5.9lbs naked. I couldn’t have assembled one like it for what I paid.

I had a PSA AR10 in 6.5 creedmore 20” barrel and hated that heavy joker. Had issues and sent it back. They put another bolt in it and it worked flawlessly after.

I actually traded it straight up for a 1987-88 Winchester 70 featherweight in 270. I was glad to get rid of that anchor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.