-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So I have two rifles that I am interested in. I have decided on the .223 as the caliber. But need some help choosing between the two following rifles.

Rock River Arms Varmint

Weatherby Mark V SVR

It will be used mostly to punch paper and dispatch varmints. Any feedback would me much appreciated.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Apple.

Orange.

Any clues on why each interests you, as they have NOTHING in common except the .223 chambering that you've selected.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
VAnimrod,
I currently have a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 that shoot sub 2" groups at 300 yards (not bad for a cheap deer rifle) and has made me quite partial to bolt guns. And my brother recently bought a RRA Entry Tactical that has really peaked my interest. The RRA Varmint has guaranteed accuracy to .75 MOA. And I recently had the chance to shoot a Weatherby SVR in .223 and it shot .5 MOA with cheap ammo.

So my dilema is that these two guns have each of their own perks. Either one would fit the bill nicely, I just need to figure out which one I "need."

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
What kind of varminting do you do?

Either will varmint hunt fine; the question really is what type of varmint hunting do you do, and what do you want the rifle to do?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ground hogs around the farm place, with an occasional trip out to shoot prairie dogs with my father in law. It will be used to punch paper and steel plates about 60% of the time. So a fast follow up shot may not be needed unless I go after coyotes. I guess my main concern is consistant accuracy over time.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go with the bolt. But I am a bolt man. As said both will fill the bill, but I have shot alot of the semiautos in bushmaster colt and some others with all being the same with multiple rounds the accuracy does get worse after the 3rd or fourth shot. JME but the bolt to me is a better choice. HAPPY HUNTING

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If that was the type of shooting, I'd get a Rem. 700 LVSF in .223 and run with it. So, I'd take the Wby. given your two choices.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by On_Point
Ground hogs around the farm place, with an occasional trip out to shoot prairie dogs with my father in law. It will be used to punch paper and steel plates about 60% of the time. So a fast follow up shot may not be needed unless I go after coyotes. I guess my main concern is consistent accuracy over time.

Here's how to help make your choice. If most of your shooting is off a bench, than a bolt is probably what you need. If you are a walk-about hunter picking up targets of opportunity than the semi is probably what you need. As VA says you have to decide what you do the most; shoot or hunt. I shoot, I rarely hunt anymore my guns are becoming bench shooters for both paper and live targets. Hope this helps.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd get the AR while you still can, and then get a bolt .223 later on down the road...

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
GW;

Good point.

Get the AR.... now.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do not think that AR type weapons, or firearms, or guns or whatever you want to call them will be grandfathered in if they become illegal because they won't. Now if one wants an AR type just because than by all means buy one but not to hide an illegal firearm. I do not advocate armed revolution against the government and having illegal firearms is just that.

My .02 worth FWIW.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The AR's rule Camp Perry. That means pretty consistent accuracy out to 600yds after 3 or 4 shots.

A short bull barreled AR will be handier and just as accurate as the Weatherby. It'll probably cost more too!

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think if you're going to be just punching paper and plinking steel a lot, an AR is hard to go wrong with. There is a certain fun factor that comes with shooting one that is not easily matched with bolt guns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Do not think that AR type weapons, or firearms, or guns or whatever you want to call them will be grandfathered in if they become illegal because they won't. Now if one wants an AR type just because than by all means buy one but not to hide an illegal firearm. I do not advocate armed revolution against the government and having illegal firearms is just that. My .02 worth FWIW.

fwiw & imho,
You'll make a fine subject...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Do not think that AR type weapons, or firearms, or guns or whatever you want to call them will be grandfathered in if they become illegal because they won't. Now if one wants an AR type just because than by all means buy one but not to hide an illegal firearm. I do not advocate armed revolution against the government and having illegal firearms is just that. My .02 worth FWIW.

fwiw & imho,
You'll make a fine subject...

Regards, Matt.

I don't want to hijack this discussion so I'll make one further comment and than take this discussion some where else if there is enough interest.

One person with an AR here and one with an AR there and another with an AR over there, etc. is just asking for trouble if the AR becomes illegal. You can't store a weapon and never use it because when you really need it it usually won't work. Learned that one in the military.

At the time of the Revolution all the militias were legal entities of legal colonial governments and we still had a hard time winning the Revolution. All rebellions starting with the Whisky Rebellion have ended in defeat when the full weight of the government was brought to bear. I like my freedom and winning to much to tackle a losing proposition. There are better ways to slay the dragon than playing The Lone Ranger.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10ring1, 163bc, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,991
Posts18,499,927
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.