Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I worked as a paramedic for 14 years. We had to restrain many patients, you get drunks, you get meth heads, psychos, and you get nutcakes with an attitude who will slap a medic or an ER nurse and I have seen it happen. You get 'em all in EMS work.

I had to restrain many patients, we had big leather handcuffs and we could strap their wrists to the side of the stretcher.

Charged with first degree murder. Damn.
First of all you see the racial component, obviously the EMTs did not go out there with the idea of murdering a patient. That takes first degree murder right off the table. Take out the racial component this wouldn't even qualify as second degree murder. Manslaughter at worst, and even then the DA would have a thin case.

First degree murder. Damn.
The DA in Minneapolis got by with it so why not here ?? If we had a sick person who had the risk of throwing up they went belly side down. Ooopps. Our bad, I guess.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by bbassi
I might have missed it, but were they paid EMS or volunteers? Seems like a perfect way to tank any volunteer department's recruiting efforts.

Dont know about other states, but in La. if you are attempting to help someone, you are covered by the 'Good Samaritan' law.

Dont know the situation in this case, but if they were afraid the patient might vomit or if their were injuries that prevented the patient from being on their back, placing them on their stomach would be acceptable. However, placing the straps too tight is not acceptable.

Even if they are a licensed ems provider?

Good samaritan laws are in place to protect lay people. Generally not people who are licensed.

In case of vomiting, a patient should be on his or her side.

And yes...you can long board and secure a combative patient on his side.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Restraining any patient face down has been forbidden on a national level for probably 20 years."

Interesting. I got out of EMS 28 years ago. We did not have protocols forbidding face down restraints. On the other hand, I don't ever remember restraining someone face down. I carried lots of patients out of our ER who ER staff had restrained, taking them on transfers to the State Mental Institution, and I myself restrained quite a few in the field.

Of course you want to keep an eye on the airway even with a patient who is conscious and alert. And you want to talk to them. You can't do that if they are face down. Of course if there was risk of vomiting you put them on their side.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I worked as a paramedic for 14 years. We had to restrain many patients, you get drunks, you get meth heads, psychos, and you get nutcakes with an attitude who will slap a medic or an ER nurse and I have seen it happen. You get 'em all in EMS work.

I had to restrain many patients, we had big leather handcuffs and we could strap their wrists to the side of the stretcher.

Charged with first degree murder. Damn.
First of all you see the racial component, obviously the EMTs did not go out there with the idea of murdering a patient. That takes first degree murder right off the table. Take out the racial component this wouldn't even qualify as second degree murder. Manslaughter at worst, and even then the DA would have a thin case.

First degree murder. Damn.

I would think that negligent homicide would be the correct charge. Murder is the deliberate killing of a human.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's it - no more EMS calls to deal with toxic drunks or druggies in trouble - they will just have to deal with their consequences of their own bad habits. Too dangerous for EMS workers.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by bbassi
I might have missed it, but were they paid EMS or volunteers? Seems like a perfect way to tank any volunteer department's recruiting efforts.

Dont know about other states, but in La. if you are attempting to help someone, you are covered by the 'Good Samaritan' law.

Dont know the situation in this case, but if they were afraid the patient might vomit or if their were injuries that prevented the patient from being on their back, placing them on their stomach would be acceptable. However, placing the straps too tight is not acceptable.

Even if they are a licensed ems provider?

Good samaritan laws are in place to protect lay people. Generally not people who are licensed.

In case of vomiting, a patient should be on his or her side.

And yes...you can long board and secure a combative patient on his side.

Yes Jim, even if they are licensed. I copied and pasted this...

Louisiana’s Good Samaritan Law protects medical personnel, such as physicians, surgeons, and physician assistants, and all other individuals who render aid in good faith to someone in need. This aid may be rendered at any emergency scene in the state.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Birdwatcher: "Thankless" does NOT begin to describe the horrors of dealing with the common American ghetto-ites!
I did so for 29 years professionally, and knowing what I know now and if I had ANY idea how thankless and horrible it would be dealing with ghetto-ites and ghetto spawn, I would have chosen another line of work!
Sad, but the truth.
I do NOT know the particulars of this case for sure but again "thankless" does not even come close to accurately describing dealing with common ghetto-rats on a daily basis.
"Thankless" is only about 5% of the horrors and troubles one will encounter dealing with welfare rats and ghetto spawn on a daily basis in today's America.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There’s just not enough information to go on in that article. As mentioned by others here if trying to mitigate secondary aspiration of vomit or other bodily fluids the patient’s airway would typically be managed with them on their side, not face down. I’ve restrained countless patients through the years and I don’t recall a single instance of restraining someone face down…I’m sure there are times where that might be appropriate but not in the usual “course of business”. Restraints are, or at least used to be, a contentious issue that required extra details and justification in the subsequent reports. Forcing medical care on an uncooperative patient is a sort of gray area because adults generally have the right to refuse any and all medical care.

I don’t know why they restrained him face down but I agree with Simon in that 1st degree murder doesn’t sound applicable in the least here. I figure that these charges are an extension of the racial animosity that is being fed and fostered by the left against whites. The verbal abuse that us whites would have to tolerate on various calls back then was a prelude to the government supported racism of today. It’s also because of my experiences that I’ve never sought out diversity and why I’ve moved my family several times to escape the encroachment of diversity. Our little island has a small handful of black families and they make up the .2% of the black population here. They are normal professional families with good kids.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Teal
Cops didn't say "hey man, face down isn't good"? Why aren't they charged for allowing the negligence to happen?

They only act, after the fact. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When they said 'face down', I thought it meant on his stomach with his head turned to the side. Maybe he was literally face down.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 29 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.