Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No complaints here.
I did something I never thought that I would, missed the opening early MZ weekend[hot & wet].
Otherwise everything was as normal as could be for us.
Deer sightings were normal, plenty of good deer seen, a few shot.
Still getting pics of a couple of decent bucks for next year too.

FJB & FJT
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We had a good season, killed a bunch of deer and a few good bucks.

Life is good live it while you can.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Shot my best buck in about 6 years, so can't complain. But, that's not saying much after 5 years of spikes and forks. haha. Really funky rack so it will make a sweet euro mount
. Lots of venison every year, and that is what matters. And I told good friends of ours that I would get them a nice doe, and the last day I hunted, did that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It was very good for all in the group I hunt with. All of us filled our buck tags.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still going here. Less kills overall this year because WLF shut the parish we are in down on corn and protein feeders. BUT the quality bucks we have seen has been pretty solid.
I personally killed my best thus far, so I'm partial to this year.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty good so far. A buck and two does in Alabama and a buck in Ohio. Best thing is the rut hasnt even started in our area of Alabama. Heading up there on the 19th thru the 31st of this month. I might stay longer if the rut is late kicking in. Season ends around Feb 10th.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Some folks mediocre season would be a great season here in NH. I saw just one deer in the first three+ weeks of the season, then finally got lucky the day before Thanksgiving. No acorns in the woods at all so I think the deer were staying closer to the fields away from where I hunt.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
as i get older " now 69 " all deer seasons are wonderful as far as rating my deer season 6 out of 10 this year in Minnesota ,i don`t rate deer seasons by how many tags are filled ,its by how many deer i see each year ,i enjoy watching deer more than shooting a deer.

Last edited by pete53; 01/11/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by pete53
as i get older " now 69 " all deer seasons are wonderful as far as rating my deer season 6 out of 10 this year in Minnesota ,i don`t rate deer seasons by how many tags are filled ,its by how many deer i see each year ,i enjoy watching deer more than shooting a deer.

Also 69, I like being out there watching it get daylight.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by pete53

Also 69, I like being out there watching it get daylight.

during rut i stay in the stand from before daylight tell after sunset bring food and fluids with pee jug too ! its just a great time to be alone hunting unless grandson wants to go then we take breaks.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good season in the northwestern corner of NC. Lots of acorns in the woods plus the neighbors feed. And we do as well on some stands along with keeping mineral blocks available. Made for some fat deer. Shot my largest bodied ever the first week of ML season. A 7 pt that weighed 210. 8 days later shot a 170 lb 8 pt. Both had ham fat and more internally. We shoot few does so my season was over in 10 days.

Wife hunted hard but was snakebit on bucks. She absolutely will NOT shoot a doe so had a bunch of them, spikes, 3 pt or 2, constantly coming by. Finally after many cold hours on stand she got a nice buck the Monday before Christmas on what we thought would be the last hunt of the year. One shot from her Death Ray (A-Bolt Micro 7-08) did it. Just under 16” spread 8 pt. He was over 160 lbs but was half as fat as the bucks I shot. Chasing females takes fat.

Son shot an 8 his first day out, son n law had never hunted but has the bug. He and my son were together in a popup and shot 3 does bang bang bang. Sons friend we watched grow up came up for a day to make his first hunt as well and got a big spike that needed killin. Weighed something like 135 with bladed spikes. Good kid. Navy vet, fireman/emt, wife and baby girl. Was thrilled for him.

We were blessed indeed. Lots of color in the skies and in the trees. Prayed together before the hunts mostly for safety and to see with our spirit not just with our eyes. Turned out well. Hope to get this Blood Moon Season more organized and post here with pictures later on.

Last edited by shootem; 01/11/23.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Didn’t see a deer during the Pa rifle season and only one hunter in the woods. Did tag a small buck with the flintlock (my first kill with it) and saw two other deer. Have this weekend yet.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dale K
Didn’t see a deer during the Pa rifle season and only one hunter in the woods. Did tag a small buck with the flintlock (my first kill with it) and saw two other deer. Have this weekend yet.

Dale
I thought my Rifle season was bad. I saw 5. Two were in Sullivan where I hunted the first week and three in Berks where I was the second week. But you got a buck so you're that much better off than me!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Pretty good. I got cancelled for my WV hunt but then a friend offered to let me tag along with him locally.

I shot a big doe this week from his blind and filled the freezer.

I am grateful and wife was super happy.

So it was a good season

Last edited by mjbgalt; 01/11/23.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by hanco
I would say poor compared to seasons past. There was too many acorns after a very dry summer. We didn’t kill much on our lease, same with most around the location we hunt in central Texas, Burnet county.

I would rate it "interesting." I was not successful in punching my tag. I applied for a hunt in an area an awkward distance away. Not quite far enough to force me to camp, far enough to be a pain to make the drive from home each day. This lead to me only hunting about half of the available days, maybe 25% of the total days. It's a familiar area so no scouting was needed, I just needed to cross paths with a legal buck during legal hours in a legal spot. Didn't happen. No regrets .. glad I tried. I will probably try again some future year.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
My worest, bow season ever, saw one small spike, all season. Was hot, than wet. Rifle saw alot of deer opening day, finely shot a big 8 in the afternoon. Saw one other deer and that was it. Had surgery on top of my shoulder, so kinda ended season for me! Out of 10 hunters only 4 of us got bucks we all were going to shoot a doe ,but none were seen after the 1st few days.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was so-so.

I shot a Kansas buck opening day, September 12th, and then spent the next 3 and 1/2 months regretting having pulled the trigger so soon. shocked grin

I did bow and gun hunt Missouri quite a bit, and saw dozens of bucks, but few shooters, and didn't punch a tag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great season. Spent time in the ground blind with four of my five kids, filled tags with a big doe and my oldest daughter's biggest buck, two shots, two dead deer, and I got to kill a deer with my new to me XP100 in .350 Remington Magnum. Had a great time!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Very few people around here filled a tag this year. Too many cougars and bears. Bucks up high are getting scarce with most deer hanging down low in neighborhoods away from predators. I got lucky and found a nice buck running with a smaller one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Rifle Opener was one of the most gawdawful affairs we've had. It poured rain all morning. Still, #2 son, managed to nail a nice buck in the worst of it. The rest of the rifle season was colder than usual. We each got a buck, but barely saw a deer besides that.

Despite all that, it was good to be out. Considering what had gone down in the previous months, it was good enough just to be.

Last edited by shaman; 01/12/23.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.