Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, it's totally subjective, and which one probably doesn't matter much. But still fun.

---

My favorite current camo is Mossy Oak Break Up Country in fall, and Mossy Oak Obsession in spring. I like the Mossy Oak Bottomland background and the overlying branches and leaves aren't too dark and do a pretty good job of blending in to the places I hunt.

My favorite vintage camo is original Real Tree Advantage. I still have pants, shirts, gloves and a jacket in this I got back in the 90s. I like that its mostly brownish leaves. It blends in well on the ground.

Honorable mention for a current camo for me goes to Bass Pro's proprietary True Timber Kanati. In fact, it probably blends in a bit better where I hunt due to the redder hues that match a lot of the fall foliage, especially the reddish beech leaves. The white branches match the many hollies and beeches we have. It's just a relly good all around camo here. On top of that, their Silent shirts and pants are very well made. Though they have a white inside that is dumb.

Honorable mention for a vintage camo is original Mossy Oak Break Up. I still have a Gore Tex boonie hat, shirt and pants, and gloves in this camo. For the same reasons as Mossy Oak Break Up Country above.

Honroable mention runner up is old school duck hunting camo. It blends in to the leaf litter really well.

---

My least favorite is Mossy Oak Break Up DNA. IMO, this camo is really, really dark. I have a coat in this and I sometimes have concerns about wearing it. There's so much really dark patches on it I'm half afraid someone will think I'm a black bear or see it through the trees and think I'm a turkey. Way too dark overall for my tastes. I'm sure it works, though.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/11/23.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Favorite two are

old school natural gear, and Ston'

They just work great for my area.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For this area, my favorite is STILL decades-old Realtree Hardwoods 20/200.

Least favorites are pretty much ALL of the Mossy Oak Break-Up patterns. Way too dark for our woods.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just wear about 5 kinds of mismatched camo at the same time. Problem solved. Nat-Gear with tiger-stripe BDU? Sure, why not?

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever is on sale. Camo is way overrated IMO. Sit still. Bob

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
I just wear about 5 kinds of mismatched camo at the same time. Problem solved. Nat-Gear with tiger-stripe BDU? Sure, why not?

Same here. Usually have a little of everything on.

I still like old military woodland camo, too. Some of the best spring camo there is. Nothing like a comfy old set of BDUs to hunt in.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the old Mossy Oak Bottomland
as far as least favorite, the old jungle tiger stripe stuff

I usually buy what is on sale and wear my camo mix and match. I think camo is good but movement (or lack there of) is the key.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Mossy Oak Break and Natural gear

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob

As Bob stated, sit still. Guys were killing turkey and deer in red & black checkered flannel shirts and blue jeans while I was growing up, but to answer the OP's question:

My favorite camo(s) are Mossy Oak Bottomland, most vintage Realtree camo and tiger stripe.

Least favorite camo: Most US Military Camo used after the Gulf War.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a kid, everybody had these two items for sure:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you were fancy, you might have some of this:

I'm 100% positive I wore them all together, with an orange ballcap from Otasco or WalMart.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear a mismatch of about everything.

My least favorite is all the ones that are both too dark and too fine of detail, they all end up looking like a solid black blob from 15 yards away.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Someone will always comment about camo, most often Sitka or Kuiu and say something negative. The truth is, Turkeys and game for that matter, have real good eyesight and good camo does work and improve your situation.

Earlier this fall, bow hunting elk, I was wearing Sitka camo and came across this bull elk and I actually saw him before he saw me. I am absolutely certain, camo helped me stay unseen...

This is a picture of my 2 boys in the forest while we were turkey hunting, and it was then I realized just how good some camo patterns are. This is Kuiu in a Ponderosa forest...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's weird. I regularly see turkeys when I hunt in the fall. Our law here in Virginia is when hunting anything during the deer general firearms season, you have to at least have a solid blaze orange hat on. I usually have that and a camo blaze vest. Turkeys have amazing eye sight with full color perception. Yet in the fall, I've had them forage right up to my tree stand or where I'm sitting on the ground. Didn't seem to matter that I was wearing blaze orange. I can move an they'll mosey off but generally they come back. I guess for some reason, it seems they don't feel particularly threatened by hunting in the fall. On the contrary, birds seem way more skittish in the spring. (Maybe I should wear a blaze hat and vest in the spring so they think its fall and waltz right on it.)

Deer and rodents appear to have red/green color blindness. But they can see blues and UV reflection. A red and black plaid hunting coat just look grey and black to them. Blaze orange looks light grey.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by colorado bob

Whatever I have in the drawer

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If I get to choose the pattern that's on sale, its MO original / new Bottomland and/or MO Greenleaf. Hard to beat a North Mountain 3D pull over in Greenleaf during any stage of the spring season.

Overall favorite was the original Advantage. Anyone wearing that pattern just simply disappeared in the fall or early spring hardwoods, it really broke up the outline. Problem was it faded fast and turned a light grey or almost white too quick.

Least favorite is Predator, it works but my eye just can't see how it does.

Last edited by paboxcall; 01/11/23.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself. It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409

"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I thought this was kinda interesting - The way deer see camo. (I think turkeys see color the same way we do. Perhaps better. )

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My least favorite camo is camo. whistle

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Light weight 3D leafy tops and bottoms, but must have a hooded top and either a veil or face mask. Putting up a ground blind or even a piece of camo net in front of your set up will reduce the chance of the turkeys seeing even the smallest movement.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My two favorites are .......

Natural Gear natural leafy
Mothwing Green leafy & Fall mimicry
i aslo like old school Realtree Trebark

If the mosquitoes are bad i use the Shannons Bug Tamer leafy.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
When I was a kid, everybody had these two items for sure:

If you were fancy, you might have some of this:

I'm 100% positive I wore them all together, with an orange ballcap from Otasco or WalMart.

Love that old pattern on the Walls jacket. That's probably the first camo pattern I remember.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1_deuce, 1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,560
Posts18,473,140
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.