Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Example: Order item Wednesday the 11th and have it shipped to wife's work address, it will be there Friday the 13th.

Order same item on the 11th and have it shipped to home address, it will not arrive until next Thursday, the 19th.

I can put any manner of items in cart (all shipped from Amazon items) and the results are the same. My wife's work is 10 miles away and both addresses are equal distance from the UPS hub.

That tells me they are slowing rural deliveries.

Last edited by Dave_Spn; 01/12/23.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am about as far out in he country as you can get. I order from Amazon on Tuesday, USPS delivers to my mailbox on Thursday. Great service around here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is not many of us rural folks left. We apparently set pretty low on the totem pole.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm borderline rural, enough where usps folks are driving mail around in their personal minivans. I have a prime account and I cant tell you the last time I received something in the 2 day free shipping window. USPS or UPS. I've had about half a dozen packages in the last few months go missing, amazon thankfully has always refunded no questions asked. But I have started to have the more expensive stuff shipped to my work address.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
It's just the fact that it can get to the wife's work address 4-7 days sooner and she's only 10 miles away.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Example: Order item Wednesday the 11th and have it shipped to wife's work address, it will be there Friday the 13th.

Order same item on the 11th and have it shipped to home address, it will not arrive until next Thursday, the 19th.

I can put any manner of items in cart (all shipped from Amazon items) and the results are the same. My wife's work is 10 miles away and both addresses are equal distance from the UPS hub.

Business addresses will take priority and given it's a business address for the wife, there's likely higher density for the UPS guy on that route, it's being run every day, maybe multiple times.

Your home address - while 10 miles away is likely considered rural or less dense delivery area and is turned over to USPS for final delivery or is held at hub for density on that rural route (package size/dims also can play a role in it). UPS is damned good at knowing what/where/how to ensure it's the most efficient for them. Same as FedEx/Amazon is. The locations are 10 miles apart but it's unlikely the same truck makes the delivery for UPS to both. Maybe but unlikely.

Not all items bought on Amazon are fulfilled the same way from the same place as well. Some items are FBA - which means inventory housed at Amazon facility, picked and shipped by Amazon people. Other items are not and are housed at the seller's location - picked and shipped by the seller (which is why you can still get some things off Amazon via FedEx) so long as seller's meeting metrics on service but FBA is likely to be quicker than not.

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

That might be the case with Amazon and UPS, but it is not the case with Walmart... typically 2 days. FedEx hub is probably 50-60 miles away. USPS is daily anyway. Walmart is usually cheaper anyway.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Teal

Business addresses will take priority and given it's a business address for the wife, there's likely higher density for the UPS guy on that route, it's being run every day, maybe multiple times.

Your home address - while 10 miles away is likely considered rural or less dense delivery area and is turned over to USPS for final delivery or is held at hub for density on that rural route (package size/dims also can play a role in it). UPS is damned good at knowing what/where/how to ensure it's the most efficient for them. Same as FedEx/Amazon is. The locations are 10 miles apart but it's unlikely the same truck makes the delivery for UPS to both. Maybe but unlikely.

Not all items bought on Amazon are fulfilled the same way from the same place as well. Some items are FBA - which means inventory housed at Amazon facility, picked and shipped by Amazon people. Other items are not and are housed at the seller's location - picked and shipped by the seller (which is why you can still get some things off Amazon via FedEx) so long as seller's meeting metrics on service but FBA is likely to be quicker than not.

I've had a grand total of 2 items shipped from Amazon to me in the past 10 years get handed off to USPS, so that's a non-issue.

Again, all items I'm discussing are HELD and shipped by AMAZON.

This wasn't an issue 2 months ago, or for 10 years prior, it's recent.

Yes, I know it's not coming on the same UPS truck, but they are coming from the same UPS hub. The city she works in is 6,000 people, I'm not discussing a metropolis.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I don't really care if it slows some to rural. The fact the pricing is good, can get what we can't find locally and shipping is reasonable is all that really matters.

This Mc Donalds desire to have it today has bothered me from day one. Its nice. But to have that its gotta cost.

Of course nothing like fuel costs, the drive to ban gas engines, go electric and so on has anything to do with speed or cost...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rost495

I don't really care if it slows some to rural. The fact the pricing is good, can get what we can't find locally and shipping is reasonable is all that really matters.

This Mc Donalds desire to have it today has bothered me from day one. Its nice. But to have that its gotta cost.

Of course nothing like fuel costs, the drive to ban gas engines, go electric and so on has anything to do with speed or cost...

Fascinating, thanks.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Years ago in my UPS career.....they tried a similar approach....'Remote Delivery'

On a good day for me...my route was 150 boxes...200 miles...60 stops....not so good for UPS

They tried the remote thing....a shirt from JC Penney.....if that was all you had that day for a remote area

It was shown as 'remote' & saved for the next day when you may have another or a neighbor's in that area

Exceptions included...1-2 day air pkg's.....Meds.....or farm/tractor parts...delivered the scheduled day

They did that for a while & quit the idea....

They implimented a 'fuel surcharge' many years ago & prob still do with diesel at $5/gallon

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You don’t know anything about running a business, especially a trucking, shipping or delivery business, do you.

Always a victim.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It's just the fact that it can get to the wife's work address 4-7 days sooner and she's only 10 miles away.

That^^^ is how it works for us.
If I have it shipped to my business addy it's always 2-3 days quicker.

Our OS software added a bullet 3-4 years back for 'drop shipped' orders where you choose either 'residential' or 'commercial' address.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
folks can live where they wish, but it's disingenuous to think that the world will conform itself to your needs.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to get Amazon Prime shipping just like everyone else until about 4 or 5 months ago.
Now everything Prime or not gets delivered in 7-9 days. I finally cancelled Prime last week and order from Amazon only as a last resort.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can get stuff same day or next most times
I Kodiak it typically takes 9-10 days

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Their prime service sucks out here. I get stuff much quicker from Ebay sellers.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Live in rural PA, post office delivers most amazon packages in 2 days.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amazon has been shìtting the bed lately, IME. Their shipping times and follow through suck. I ordered a gift for my wife on December 13, and the item still hasn't shipped. I tried to cancel the order 3 times, but no success.

Further, I placed an order on Saturday, January 7th, for 5 items. 5 days later, only 1 item shows that it has actually shipped, the other 4 items still show as unshipped, but somehow have an expected delivery date.

Amazon is a great example of how a monopoly can get away with poor service due to lack of competition.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As often as not, and not just Amazon, the delivery dates for stuff I order gets adjusted, back and forth, no doubt in response to the changing volume of deliveries for my area. Sometimes I receive my stuff before the notice of a change arrives in my email.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,333
Posts18,526,724
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.