Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by Dinny
How many of you were denied employment solely based on your name? Asking for a black friend.

How many of you have been followed by loss prevention personnel while shopping in a department store? Asking for a black friend.

How many of you have been asked to speak on behalf of all people of your race? Asking for a black friend.

I am, and I would venture to guess many of your are, recipients of the white privilege.

The worse example I recall was during my house hunting adventures in Lawton, Oklahoma. A real estate agent lady would only show us houses in predominately white neighborhoods. I asked why we weren't looking in other subdivisions and neighborhoods that my sponsor recommended. She told me we wouldn't fit in those places because we were white. I bought a house with a different agent in a mixed neighborhood. Our neighbors were some of the nicest people I have ever let.

I’ve been passed over for a promotion because of my “privilege”. More than once actually.

That is pretty much the definition of Affirmative Action.

My company not only passed over better-qualified white men with seniority for promotion in “craft” positions, they paid thousands in compensation to women and minorities, even ones that had never applied for promotion, and even new-hires in starting positions. Later on near the end of my employment, the second and third-tier management in my area consisted of black women, and when management staffing cuts began, they cut men, all but one of them white men, and left a number of women of color, mostly incompetent, in place. I don’t have a whit of racial prejudice in me, am married to an Asian woman, and the best supervisor I had in the last ten years I worked was a black woman who was also a crack technician. I also considered her a good friend, and if things had been different would’ve been happy to date her.

I’ve been followed around in stores lots of times, dealt with negative comments based on the state I chose to live in (by a black man BTW), and listened to snide comments about people who didn’t go to college. The world is full of azzholes, and various forms of institutionalized bias, and not only black people have to deal with it. When I encounter it, I deal with it, but don’t let it define me, or make a career out of whining about it. I’ve also learned that people of color, when in positions of power, are just as likely as whites to engage in discriminatory behavior. It’s human nature.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I never knew I had one, until I was stuck as a trainee in a semi truck with the most prejudiced black man I ever had the displeasure to encounter. It was a singular (thank God) experience. I spent several months with another fine black man. He was inner city, former gang member, and a decent person.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
One question for Dinney. Since you are convinced you have benefited from “White Privilege” please tell us what percentage of any success you have achieved is due to your race and what percentage was due to talent, determination, and perseverance. When you can honestly determine that number, then you can accurately divest yourself of the profit from your privilege.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Was issued one at birth. Never used and was round filed. Never had any use for it anyway. Worked my tail off. Paid my taxes. Was in the U.S. Navy for my tour. Was never on unemployment, welfare or govmint tit! Never needed welfare or same as I always worked, saved, lived within my means. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Let’s see here. A white card won’t get you into a university or get you grants or get you preferential treatment for buying gov land or receive extra money for farming. The biggest advantage to a white card is thank God I’m white. Oh thank God I’m also male. Edk

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Even Prince Harry has met with “Whiter” Supremacy
Injustice…………just ask Oprah……..

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by crash
Well spoken, apparently a lot of these dead beats don’t read their Bible, if they have one.

They DON'T KNOW How To ''READ''

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 117LBS, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,967
Posts18,499,261
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.