Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recently acquired a Remington 591M chambered in 5mm Remington Magnum. I have it apart and it is plain to see that it only had one action screw holding it together. What is the prevailing wisdom on bedding and/or action screws for these models. It looks to be very similar to a 581/541 action in some ways.

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
How does it shoot now?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 581 that shoots well. However I’d like to glass bed it too. Unless the single screw is tight, there’s movement when pulling the trigger.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
I have a 581 that shoots well. However I’d like to glass bed it too. Unless the single screw is tight, there’s movement when pulling the trigger.

If there is movement, any movement at all you should glass bed it. Unless it is a collectors item, then maybe not. Bedding always helps, regardless of what action or rifle you are working with. I've reduced group size by bedding all of my rifles. From the Mossy Chuckster, A17 Savage, Savage 93's etc. etc. One rifle I will not mess with is my 1949 Winchester model 52B. That's the only exception in my inventory though. Also, something to consider is adding a second action screw, then you can really go to town with glass bedding and freefloating. I WOULD not try to just freefloat it with just one action screw. You need 2 points of contact and you have that right now with the pressure point on the barrel. If it were mine, I'd add an extra action screw and glass bed it and freefloat the barrel for getting the utmost precision out of it. However, that may also depend on how well your rifle is shooting now. Decisions decision. I'd also go to rimfire central for more info on these little 5mm rifles.. Good luck with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
How does it shoot now?

I ordered some ammo but don’t have it in hand, yet.

I won the rifle in an auction for a good price because it was advertised as having a trigger and safety which did not function correctly. I found that the sear was glued to the trigger and would not reset. I had to remove the trigger housing and all of the parts to free it up. Old oil had dried, really hard like varnish and caused the malfunction. While I had it out of the stock I started to look at the bedding and how it was all attached. Just wondering what others have done to models like this one.

IC B2

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

If there is movement, any movement at all you should glass bed it. Unless it is a collectors item, then maybe not. Bedding always helps, regardless of what action or rifle you are working with. I've reduced group size by bedding all of my rifles. From the Mossy Chuckster, A17 Savage, Savage 93's etc. etc. One rifle I will not mess with is my 1949 Winchester model 52B. That's the only exception in my inventory though. Also, something to consider is adding a second action screw, then you can really go to town with glass bedding and freefloating. I WOULD not try to just freefloat it with just one action screw. You need 2 points of contact and you have that right now with the pressure point on the barrel. If it were mine, I'd add an extra action screw and glass bed it and freefloat the barrel for getting the utmost precision out of it. However, that may also depend on how well your rifle is shooting now. Decisions decision. I'd also go to rimfire central for more info on these little 5mm rifles.. Good luck with it..

Thanks. I will check over there too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't put a lot of effort or money into a Remington 591 or 592 unless your rifle shoots better groups with the Centurian ammo than mine does. My 592 shoots better than MOA with the original Remington and Peters 37 grain ammo, but I got so many fliers with the 30 grain Aguila/Centurian ammo that I don't have much confidence in it.

Another case of rimfire rifle accuracy often being ammo dependent and since the Aguila/Centurian ammo is the only option your rifle might not shoot it any better than mine does. I hope that it does, but you won't know until you take it to the range.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Thanks. I will check over there too.

No problem buddy. If you are handy with a drill press and tap, it isn't too hard to do. Sometimes I forget that some guys may not have the equipment or even the patience to perform such operations. I'd do like others have suggested though and shoot it first and see how she does. If its minute of ground squirrel, that may suit your needs just fine. If you are like me and like taking your rifles to local rimfire shoots, then maybe you might want to really tear into it and see how it can really shoot...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I just bought a 591....theres still plenty of 5mm out there if you know where to look. Hope to range it sometime in the next several weeks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 52 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.