Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have been wanting a 44 since I was a kid but could never decide which one I wanted.
Of course, I liked the Dirty Harry s&w, but I always thought I'd get a Redhawk.
I could never justify buying a 44 because of money and other priorities and perceived lack of practicality since i already had a 357.
I started looking at them with renewed interest a couple of years ago after buying a Henry 44 lever.
I now wanted one for hunting and shooting, instead of merely shooting.

I decided on this.....
[Linked Image from q7v4y8u3.rocketcdn.me]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have purchased the Trijicon RSO but am waiting for the mounting plate to arrive, which will be next Wednesday.
This is a stock photo and not my hand. Just saying. lol. before anyone asks the question.
[Linked Image from pewpewtactical.com]

Son and I went to the range and shot open sight about 50+ rounds.
I shot well when using support at 25 yards, mimicking my hunting method.
At 15 yards, he was putting all shots in a 3-4 inch circle standing.
I, though, was shooting more of an 8 inch circle standing at 15 yards. My excuses are old eyes (rear sight was a blur) and, though a fine revolver shooter 30 years ago, I am unpracticed and had horrible standing form.

My son is a lover of semi-auto pistols and shoots often and never had a use for a revolver. He loves this weapon, though, from 1st sight. And, after shooting it, seemed to look forward to one day inheriting it.

Myself? It is the revolver that I've always wanted but never knew it.

Last edited by Savage_Hunter; 01/07/23.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It should shoot lights out. I have 2 Performance Center “Hunters”, a 629 and a 657. Both are from the ‘90’s which, I believe, is when S&W began the Performance Center stuff.

The 629 has the removable weight bushings set up in the underlug. The .41 mag is the “Light “ Hunter with no weighted underlug. I currently run a Leupold 2x handgun scope on the 657 and have had it on the 629 as well. I’m thinking about putting a red dot of some sort on the 629. I’ve killed deer with both, really like those guns.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What holster will it ride in with the red dot, I have a 5inch 629 and had a red dot on it but never could find a holster I liked, (7 years ago) so I pulled it. There were a couple cross draw chest rigs back then but I wanted a belt holster.

I’ve enjoyed shooting and hunting with it! I’m sure you will too

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to own an exact double of your revolver. Purchased it for sheep hunting when I lived in Alaska. Never got a chance to take it hunting. Excellent single action trigger pull and accuracy was superb. I came to the conclusion if I missed it wasn’t the revolvers fault.
Good luck with it and hope it serves you well.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Standard 629 classic with a 6.5” barrel is solid as well.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
I have been wanting a 44 since I was a kid but could never decide which one I wanted.
Of course, I liked the Dirty Harry s&w, but I always thought I'd get a Redhawk.
I could never justify buying a 44 because of money and other priorities and perceived lack of practicality since i already had a 357.
I started looking at them with renewed interest a couple of years ago after buying a Henry 44 lever.
I now wanted one for hunting and shooting, instead of merely shooting.

I decided on this.....
[Linked Image from q7v4y8u3.rocketcdn.me]
Well done! blush

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by msuhunter
What holster will it ride in with the red dot, I have a 5inch 629 and had a red dot on it but never could find a holster I liked, (7 years ago) so I pulled it. There were a couple cross draw chest rigs back then but I wanted a belt holster.

I’ve enjoyed shooting and hunting with it! I’m sure you will too
I desire to have a cross draw shoulder holster.
I’ve found a site that makes them special for you model and scope.
Pricey, but tailor made to fit.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think but I am unsure that the performance center guns have some sort of accuracy standard that has to be met before leaving the factory. I oftam wondered how that stacks to say a S&W classic 629 with a 6.5”. Can anyone comment?
S

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
it's a beaut, Clark.

A beaut.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 629 classic DX and I will say it is really accurate would put it up against a performance center pistol.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 22magnut
I have a 629 classic DX and I will say it is really accurate would put it up against a performance center pistol.

I have a 629 Classic DX, 8 3/8". I have 5 Performance Center guns, 3 N frames, a K frame and a 945. IMHO, the Classic DX, while a really good revolver, doesn't quite match up to the Performance Center N frames I have.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m sure your new Performance Center .44 will shoot great. I wish I owned one. I have shot a couple and they are definitely smooth and beautifully made. The DX is not far behind either. Great hunting revolvers.
I have a 629-4 that shoots very well and I got a Burris FFII for Christmas I was out yesterday shooting it. Enjoyed the range time and the red dot sure helps. At my age, without it, I couldn’t shoot groups like this. It shot groups like this at 25yds all afternoon. Just a 629 Classic with a 76yo man behind the hammer. Pretty sure your new revolver will cut this in half.
Enjoy your new revolver you will have a “blast” with it..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Nice set up! I have a 6” 686 I’m thinking about removing the 2x scope and putting a red dot on, what mount are you using?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Allchingunparts.com

Mini STS mount. Well made, works great, and keeps the red dot as low as possible.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Good looking revolver. It should be great for hunting.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Thanks!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Just got in from hunting with my Stealth Hunter.

Sitting in a blind with light rain. 15 minutes before dark a doe trotted past at 15 yards from my blind side and went to 20+ yards to my right. .
As I raise to aim, I failed to see the 2nd one 12 yards in front of me that also came from the blind side, but it saw me move to aim at the first one.
2nd one wheeled around and alerted the other. It started back to left, but the red dot found the right spot really quickly. and it was over.

240gr hollowpoint. passed thru both shoulder and took out very top of heart. Did not hit bones, but Exit wound was a little over 2 fingers wide. It stumbled about 30 yards and fell.

Hunting with a revolver is new territory for me. I am very happy with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on sweet rig!!! When I was in the market a couple years ago, the SW PC Stealth and the Magnum Hunter were my 2 final choices. Figured whatever one I could find and the right price would be the winner. Found the SW PC MAGNUM HUNTER , thru factory crap site/rings away and put on Ultra Dot Match ditto site on....love it. Shot it today in preparation for Texas hogs coming up. 4 water jugs at 50 yds. 4 shots and 4 explosive reactions. Shot 5 more rounds at 60 yds and posted 4" group. These guns are a joy. The muzzlebreak on this made it so I could hardly handle my regular 629, so it went down the road.

Enjoy your Stealth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a 41 fan, but do miss a couple of 629s - 4" I let go.........and a M29 blue. One day at the range a buddy let me take a shot or three off hand at jugs at 100 and 150 yds. I busted one at each range.......open sights. He called me a week later and asked me if I was using a 6" barrel. I said no, 4. He told me to quit using rifles! LOL.

Enjoy and good safe hunting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (406_SBC, 7mm_Loco, Akhutr, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.