Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Who do you guys like for a sheep taxidermist in state? My 15 year old wants a shoulder mount of his ram and the current USPS rates have me less than excited about shipping to and from my normal guy in Montana.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I had a taxidermist I liked and trust, I'd pay the shipping.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Knights Taxidermy. I don't think frank entsminger is doing taxidermy anymore or he would be great.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Knights Taxidermy. I don't think frank entsminger is doing taxidermy anymore or he would be great.

I can't wait for the reply to this one.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Grant Gullicks at Wild Reflections is probably about as good as they get. He's done a sheep or two.

Wildreflectionsstudio.com

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
If I had a taxidermist I liked and trust, I'd pay the shipping.

This

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Ole Russell is a strange one. I didn't like or trust him but he has had some good talent through the years

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Ole Russell is a strange one. I didn't like or trust him but he has had some good talent through the years
Okay Steve, set the hook! Please do it before I pass it!

Russell has had extremely gifted people working for him... a steady stream even...

But it is the rest that worry me... how would you feel looking at your son's first bear with a shaved face... and the POS behind the counter saying the hair "slipped?" Never saw a slipped hide with 5 O'Clock shadow. But they are not willing to refund the deposit and are blaming it on the tannery. Tannery is and has always been solid. Took the hide there and showed him the issue. He showed me their ID system and Russ'. It was tanned in-house by Knight's.

I could go on for hours with stories from incredible Taxidermists screwed by Russ... or more to the point his employees. Russ is usually "under the weather" when the work is being done.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
Grant Gullicks at Wild Reflections is probably about as good as they get. He's done a sheep or two.

Wildreflectionsstudio.com

I have been hearing about him and seeing his stuff a lot lately. Impressive!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I believe Frank and Sue are simply being selective these days and they really like birds. They are incredible.

If their great friend and incredible taxidermist Robert Holshouser is doing any work he is as good as it gets, period. He USED to do Knight's high-end work.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks for the replies. I’m more than half inclined to stick with my known guy, but will check out the wild reflections guy. I’ve heard of too much mixed results to use Knights for anything.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Russell has had extremely gifted people working for him... a steady stream even...

But it is the rest that worry me... how would you feel looking at your son's first bear with a shaved face... and the POS behind the counter saying the hair "slipped?" Never saw a slipped hide with 5 O'Clock shadow. But they are not willing to refund the deposit and are blaming it on the tannery. Tannery is and has always been solid. Took the hide there and showed him the issue. He showed me their ID system and Russ'. It was tanned in-house by Knight's.

I could go on for hours with stories from incredible Taxidermists screwed by Russ... or more to the point his employees. Russ is usually "under the weather" when the work is being done.

This sounds like the story of someone’s rifle stock they sent you in AK. Just replace “bear” with “stock” 😂😂

Last edited by SeldomSeenSmith; 01/11/23.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Joe Romero, the best sheep taxidermist in the State retired a few years ago. Im now using Dave Winney in Valdez.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SeldomSeenSmith

This sounds like the story of someone’s rifle stock they sent you in AK. Just replace “bear” with “stock” 😂😂
Only to clueless idiots...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UpTop
Joe Romero, the best sheep taxidermist in the State retired a few years ago. Im now using Dave Winney in Valdez.

Joe also did great work on goats. He did mine in 2015, about a year before he retired. Very pleased with the end product!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Joe was just a great taxidermist. Some of the best cat taxidermy I have ever seen was in his shop.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

My apologies to everyone. A friend of mine worked with him when they both worked for Tommy Nelson. That was decades ago. I don't know why I even posted since I'm so long removed. Musta been drinking.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

My apologies to everyone. A friend of mine worked with him when they both worked for Tommy Nelson. That was decades ago. I don't know why I even posted since I'm so long removed. Musta been drinking.

No blood, no foul! It is just idiots without clue, history, pulse, or any other suggestion of a thought trying to create a " wave

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dave Winney from Frontier Taxidermy in Valdez is one of the best taxidermists in the state but he isn't cheap. He is really good at it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best sheep taxidermist in the world (in my humble opinion) is Dewey Wildlife Studio in Cody, WY.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10ring1, 1minute, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 63 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,160
Posts18,484,333
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.