Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Yep, a new surprise on my paycheck, from the state of Oregon this time. A payroll deduction of $25 labeled: Oregon paid leave. It would have been over $50 were not 55% of my gross diverted to tax deferred 401K and FSA.

As if the Oregon income tax rate is not high enough.

When does Paid Leave start?

On Jan. 1, 2023, employees and employers will begin paying into the new program.

On Sept. 3, 2023, employees can start applying for benefits.

Paid Leave Oregon is a new program that allows individuals to take paid time off for many of life’s most important moments that impact our families and our health and safety.

Paid Leave Oregon is paid for by employers and employees. Employers pay 40% and employees pay 60% of the contribution rate, which is 1 percent for 2023.

On Jan. 1, 2023, if you’re an employee, you’ll start seeing a small deduction from your paycheck. It will not be more than 0.6% of your gross wages.

If you’re an employee who made at least $1,000 the year before applying for Paid Leave, and qualifies for benefits, you may be eligible. Learn more about qualifying below.
Whether you work full-time, part-time or for more than one job or employer, it counts.

You can take up to 12 weeks off from work in a year. In some pregnancy-related situations, you may be able to take up to two more weeks for a total of 14 weeks. You can take leave a week, or a single day at a time.
While on leave, Paid Leave Oregon pays you a percent of your wages. The amount depends on how much you earn. Employers do not pay the employee while they’re away — all payments are made through Paid Leave Oregon. Your job is protected if you’ve been with your employer for more than 90 days.

First the Feds fugged us with FMLA. Then Oregon shoved it in a little deeper with Oregon's expanded version of FMLA. And the Feds added insult to injury with Obamacare, and making the employer pick up the tab for insurance on every employee's worthless, live in Momma's basement, child until their 26'th birthday.

Now this schitt. Thank goodness Oregon only gets to rape me for another four paychecks

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This state gets a lot of well deserved crap for the liberal dipshits that are ruining it just like they’re ruining the entire country but while we do have a high sales tax, locally I think it’s 8.5%, we don’t have any state income tax! I have much less issue with a fair tax like sales tax than I do with an unfair tax like a state income tax.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny how I used to be proud to be an Oregonian. I mean I still am as I don’t associate with Portlandia. But Oregonian is almost the new Californian. FML

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sounds like welfare

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Sounds like welfare

That's all it is. If you want a job with paid vacation, sick leave, insurance, find a job that offers them. Otherwise, fugg off!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do the self-employed qualify for Oregon's new paid leave program and do you have to be a citizen or a resident?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, we have all those bennies. I have had for 41 years here.

But someone has to send the $ to .gov so they can waste 60% of them as administrative expense, embezzle 30%, and return 10% to worthless pieces of schitt not willing or worthy to work a real job.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by kingston
Do the self-employed qualify for Oregon's new paid leave program and do you have to be a citizen or a resident?
The self employed may choose to contribute and are then eligible, according to my understanding of what I read this evening.
https://paidleave.oregon.gov/Pages/default.aspx
Who is eligible for Paid Leave?

If you’re an employee who made at least $1,000 the year before applying for Paid Leave, and qualifies for benefits, you may be eligible. Learn more about qualifying below.
Whether you work full-time, part-time or for more than one job or employer, it counts.
Individuals who are self-employed or independent contractors are not automatically covered, but can choose coverage. Find out if you are self-employed by looking at how it is defined. You can also find the definition of an independent contractor.

I have seen no mention of citizenship or residency requirements.

They do not come right out and say so. But I would be willing to bet, those of us with vacation or sixk leave benefits will be ineligible.

That would be "double dipping", don't you know?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
You can take up to 12 weeks off from work in a year.

No thanks.

I'll take 12 days off and subsidies.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nobody paying my way. Sunsabitches.

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
How are they milking the self employed for this new tax.. ?state income tax?

Roy,

You’re FOOKED!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Property taxes piss me off. You never really own anything. You're always renting from the government. No mortgage but I still get to pay $600 a month in taxes. My first mortgage was less than that. I wouldn't mind a one time sakes tax when you buy or build. Actually I did pay sales tax on all my building materials.

I think all taxes should be consumption based like sales tax, fuel tax, sin taxes, etc. No more taxing production or property please.

Bb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Property taxes piss me off. You never really own anything. You're always renting from the government. No mortgage but I still get to pay $600 a month in taxes. My first mortgage was less than that. I wouldn't mind a one time sakes tax when you buy or build. Actually I did pay sales tax on all my building materials.

I think all taxes should be consumption based like sales tax, fuel tax, sin taxes, etc. No more taxing production or property please.

Bb

I've often thought they should sell property tax annuities.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oregon is a decent place to live... but that has nothing to do with the government. The government in Oregon is not ran by Republicans... its ran by communists, who cheat on all elections, and they just try subtly to pretend to be DemocRATs...

Oregon is one of the most corrupt states I've ever lived in or even been in....

Our democRATS BRAG about it...

and as asked above about getting benefits and not really living here?
why not.. one of our supposedly two Senators.. Ron Wyden doesn't even live in Oregon... he's married to a Jewish girl in NYC.. He's also Jewish, and use to live in Potlandia.

he just re elected, and during his campaign for re election, he does ads on TV. showing him in Farm Jackets and Jeans on, with the farmer base ball hat, with farmland scenes behind him.. which is funny consider he's a Jewish city boy from New York City....

and the DemocRATS here have no problems with that... or deny what almost anyone with any brains know...But he is an established Oregon DemocRAT... Following his lead, some other guy from New York, claimed to have just moved her and got on the ballot. to run as a democRAT also, while he still claimed his home of residency being New York State... he was put on the ballot, but then was cancelled off of it, claiming he didn't meet Residency requirements.... But neither did Roy Wyden.. but being established and a good democRAT, they let that one slide....

If you are a raging communist true blood DemocRAT, and want to get back to nature... move here and get involved in politics.. they will welcome you with open arms... and the more radical you are, they greater your welcoming will be....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Agreed. Or a census tax if they really want, to replace property tax. Households with more people us up more community resources. Taxes to pay for schools should come out of people's pockets that have children in school.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Taxes to pay for schools should come out of people's pockets that have children in school.

Why??

Do you think it matters to the majority of Americans (you know, the ones who vote democrat) whether their kids get educated?

On the other hand, survival of a nation does depend upon an educated populace as much as it depends upon a strong military.

It is in the national interest to educate our youth. Preferably with out the liberal brain washing presently built into the system.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Colorado did the same thing.

Last edited by CoElk101; 01/14/23.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Workfare for some at the expense of others....

Think about alla the freakazoids in the workforce now that would have never been working before 2 or 3 yrs ago...
Let alone even considered for a interview even if they did a application.

The 15 16 buck an hour fast-food and low level retail job types.

Ones with green hair and a tackle box face.
Ect ect ect....

Give it time the program will expand its catagories of paid time off.
These former basement dwellers and overall slackers will be taking full advantage of any legal loop hole in this to ride paid time off the maximum amount of times they can.
And it will become a revoling recurring theme for them.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We have the same thing in WA. By the third month of the first year, all the money was gone and I think they had to raise the rate to keep up with demand.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,302
Posts18,487,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.