Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I recall 1968 as being a pretty significant winter. 1973 saw new record snowfall in Prince George BC. In 1975, I spent January, February, and part of March, in the hospital in Kamloops. I looked out the window and watched the snow pile up. I've come to the conclusion, it's winter, it's weather, deal with it. GD

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Any Iowa Folks remember that? I sure do. January 15 75.

1875? Need to be more specific.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Jan ā€˜75 Iowa -Neb blizzard followed by May tornado in Omaha.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by fshaw
I went to sea on a Thresher Class nuclear attack submarine out of Groton, CT in that Feb. '78 blizzard. 35' seas in a round hulled 278' long warship. People getting seasick everywhere inside a small enclosed space. After the first guy got sick it became a chain reaction, we called it "Mercy Puking." We got temporarily pushed down below the surface (below broach depth) an took 1,500 gallons of seawater inside the ship through the 21" bridge hatch. Had salt water pouring out of the overhead around energized lighting and other electrical equipment. Officer of the Deck and Lookout were on the bridge (topside) and strapped in when we went under. Battery well (BIG freakin' battery) on the lower level of the compartment where the sea water came in.

Sea water inside the people tank, people shouting and throwing mattresses from the lower berthing compartment to cover the battery compartment and keep the sea water out to prevent an explosion. Very busy for a few minutes. It was one of my first underways on a submarine as a Third Class Petty Officer. I was hoping that it wasn't like that all the time. Retired after a career in submarines, it wasn't.

I certainly remember that blizzard as do all those that were underway onboard USS Dace (SSN-607).

Iā€™m a Submariner too.

Then you're a damn fine man.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Welcome to the 'fire farmer.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JamesJr
In Kentucky it was the blizzard of 1978.
I was at Murray State for that one.
I wasn't impressed, but no one had any idea what to do!
I'm from Chicago. Blizzard of 67!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Iafarmer
Jan ā€˜75 Iowa -Neb blizzard followed by May tornado in Omaha.

Lived in Omaha for a year and a half. There for both.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'65 in Michigan City, Ind. Snow drifted up against the back of the single story house and was almost to the peak of the roof.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
But, they all came to pass, not to stay.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We've all seen doors on the roof.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr
In Kentucky it was the blizzard of 1978.

Both 77 and 78. 77 was worse. I went to Atlanta to see the UK football team play North Carolina in the Peach Bowl on New Years Eve, 1976. Coming home on New Years Day, 1977 I hit snow on Jellico Mountain and didn't see the ground again until late March.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by jackmountain
The butterfinger one is good. Still havenā€™t figured out why the little drive thru girl hold it upside down before handing it to you though?
I know

But I wish they took my EBT

them small ones is $5.43

Sonic has a good one too, they donā€™t pinch on product

Love me a sonic large chocolate shake.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes remember it well, the year all our pheasants froze out

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP
I went to sea on a Thresher Class nuclear attack submarine out of Groton, CT in that Feb. '78 blizzard. 35' seas in a round hulled 278' long warship. People getting seasick everywhere inside a small enclosed space. After the first guy got sick it became a chain reaction, we called it "Mercy Puking." We got temporarily pushed down below the surface (below broach depth) an took 1,500 gallons of seawater inside the ship through the 21" bridge hatch. Had salt water pouring out of the overhead around energized lighting and other electrical equipment. Officer of the Deck and Lookout were on the bridge (topside) and strapped in when we went under. Battery well (BIG freakin' battery) on the lower level of the compartment where the sea water came in.

Sea water inside the people tank, people shouting and throwing mattresses from the lower berthing compartment to cover the battery compartment and keep the sea water out to prevent an explosion. Very busy for a few minutes. It was one of my first underways on a submarine as a Third Class Petty Officer. I was hoping that it wasn't like that all the time. Retired after a career in submarines, it wasn't.

I certainly remember that blizzard as do all those that were underway onboard USS Dace (SSN-607).

Iā€™m a Submariner too.

Then you're a damn fine man.

Thank You Sir. MT3-SS USS Simon Bolivar SSBN 641G 1992-1994.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
March 17, 1957 - blizzard went through this country.
Draw a triangle from Las Vegas to Raton to Clayton NM.
40,000 dead livestock in that triangle.

March 21, 1973 - blizzard started here.
Never heard a death loss estimate, but it was bad.
May 5th, ground finally broke through (small patches).
We had calf skeletons turning up in the corrals for months. New the cow had calved, but no idea where the calf was. Sad!

Two worst I've seen here.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember the Great Blizzard of 78. We got pasted!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1978

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had decided to leave my position billing trucks for Wilson's in Cherokee and return to school and acquire a teaching certificate. I was living in Albert City and taking classes at Buena Vista (only people from NW Iowa know how to pronounce it correctly). We had a poker group that met at the apartment of one member when we could. Since everyone was trapped at home, we decided to have a session. This was in the days when everyone still had television antennas. When anyone got up to pee, get a beer, and things of that nature, he would peer out of the window (2nd floor) and report on the latest antennas to have gone down. I also walked up to the north end of town to visit some friends. When I walked home, I went down the blacktop at the west edge of town and lost my bearings at the Mobil station corner because they pumps were completely drifted over. I remember that 71 north of SL was drifted so deeply that they had to bring in rotary plows from somewhere to open it. As mentioned, it was the beginning of the end for pheasants in the area.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.