Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That hasn't really been an issue for me.....although I don't get severe thunderstorms where I am like Alberta or tornado states. Even in heavy snowfall it continues to work with no major issues for the most part.

I haven't had to do it this year, but last year I had to get up on the roof and shovel around it a few times due to the amount of snow we were getting.

Last edited by RVB; 01/16/23.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You guys who have Starlink...

I suppose that thunderstorms and thick cloud cover can and will interrupt your service, much like satellite TV?

So far it's been very minimal. Lots of stormy weather throughout December and we did get some lag but even with that it's been better than anything else. Even our cell signal was poor at that time so I guess it is still worth it to me.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RVB
That hasn't really been an issue for me.....although I don't get severe thunderstorms where I am like Alberta or tornado states. Even in heavy snowfall it continues to work with no major issues for the most part.

I haven't had to do it this year, but last year I had to get up on the roof and shovel around it a few times due to the amount of snow we were getting.

That's good to hear!

I don't think I'll have snowfall issues here... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've had it at my small business for two months now and love it. Super fast speeds and I have not lost connection with it yet.

Barry we have been having a ton of rain and snow here lately and mine has not had one hiccup with it, even with heavy cloud cover.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We had it on our old house. We had lots of tall fir trees around the house so we had some obstructions. Even with that it was great.

Trying to get it transferred to the new owners has been nothing but frustrating, on the other hand.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
I've had it at my small business for two months now and love it. Super fast speeds and I have not lost connection with it yet.

Barry we have been having a ton of rain and snow here lately and mine has not had one hiccup with it, even with heavy cloud cover.

Excellent!

Thanks!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I suppose that thunderstorms and thick cloud cover can and will interrupt your service, much like satellite TV?

Downtime has been very minimal only during the very worst storms. I would guess it's only been down a total of 5-10 min in 7-9 months. It's been down much less than my previous Centrylink crap which would be down a half hour about every week for no known reason.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RHClark

Downtime has been very minimal only during the very worst storms. I would guess it's only been down a total of 5-10 min in 7-9 months. It's been down much less than my previous Centrylink crap which would be down a half hour about every week for no known reason.
^^^^^^^^^^
We have Century Link and it can be down for days at a time.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have it. It is worth every penny.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RHClark
I'm using it. I do have some obstructions. I'm still getting speeds more than 10 times my only other option. It's great if you don't have any other good options. I kept checking the site and when it became available at my location, I bought it and had it delivered and running with no waiting on a list.

My area says sometime in 2023.

I know some folks already have it here, so I imagine it's a matter of placing more satellites to handle the data. As those come online, they add customers from the waiting list.

Oh no, not more satellites eek

I just know I won't be able to afford the foil to cover the whole 7Acre RANCH! so I can go about my day without being recorded everywhere on the property.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Love it. Fast enough for my needs (desktop, several phones, and streaming tv)

Totally worth the dough. Night and day compared to other satellite providers

Did you have to wait long and place a deposit?

Regards

I made my deposit in July of 2021 and still don't have service available.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know the details of how they order subscribers, but I know that they give priority to people living where no other service is available, and less where they are (in their words) oversubscribed - meaning lots of other Starlink users in a small area. They also consider how close you are to one of their ground stations. If you live in a city, your wait time will be a lot longer than if you lived in the boonies.

They have just started putting up the second generation of satellites, which have much higher capacity, and can link to each other via laser. That will help eliminate dropout times when no satellite is in range of you (which are increasingly rare).

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I don't know the details of how they order subscribers, but I know that they give priority to people living where no other service is available, and less where they are (in their words) oversubscribed - meaning lots of other Starlink users in a small area. They also consider how close you are to one of their ground stations. If you live in a city, your wait time will be a lot longer than if you lived in the boonies.

They have just started putting up the second generation of satellites, which have much higher capacity, and can link to each other via laser. That will help eliminate dropout times when no satellite is in range of you (which are increasingly rare).

Rocky the part about wait times in a city is not true. I was 9 days from starting my order to the equipment showing up at my place in Sandy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It may be that you were one of the first or few to sign up there. Low density of users means shorter wait time.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have it at work. 10x faster than the Verizon dsl, I had. I frequently receive and send 3d models and it zips right through. Slightly sluggish when the weather is bad.
Love it.

Last edited by Teeder; 01/16/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Low density of users means shorter wait time.

That was mean. I don't think crittrgittr is dense. grin

OP - I have the RV mobile version, it came within just a few days of my order.

It does have issues with really dense wooded areas. Some of the campsites on the Oregon coast don't really have much clear access to the sky, and it doesn't work well in those situations.

So far I haven't had issues with rain or fog.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Did you have to wait long and place a deposit?

Regards

When I got mine it was $100 deposit, and several month wait. I can’t remember how long exactly. Upon delivery of the equipment they charged the balance of the initial cost to my card. Then just the monthly fee. FWIW my neighbor just got theirs and they only waited a week or so after signing up.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Like everyone else has said, very little snow down related to weather. The dish even has a built in heater to melt the snow off itself automatically. Pretty cool.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

What kind of speed are you getting?

No idea. But practically no lag time running a couple phones and the TV at the same time.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We don't have it here yet but I think we will before long. Wish we did. With the carrier we had download speed was 14.7 so we couldn't stream chit without buffering the entire evening. We've transferred service to another carrier with 400 download so it's a big improvement and no problem streaming. Hoping we get starlink service soon. JMHO

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 22250rem, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,153
Posts18,502,887
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.