Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Any experience, good or bad, with this steel? Seems like a guy should try some.

GB1

O
O
I have two custom knives with magnacut.. fantastic steel. Holds an edge really well and is very tough. I tested magnacut vs d2 and s30v in a rope cut test and the magnacut spanked the other two. This past year I skinned and removed head and tail of a MD doe, did full gutless on two cow elk and it had lost its shaving edge by the end. 6 swipes per side on a strop and it was shaving again. Did another full md doe and md buck ( both skinning quartering and boning) without sharpening and it still pops hair. My second knife I just received so havent had a chance to use it on game yet... I'm a believer

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Definitely sounds like it is worth trying. Can I ask whose D2 you tested?

W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've got a couple customs, two mule teams and a factory Hogue Deka in Magnacut. It's great stuff and lives up to it's reputation. There are a few other steels that I like almost as well, but none are stainless. Been super happy with the Hogue Deka as a super lightweight everyday carry pocket knife. There's a lot of great blade steel out there, and this one is certainly deserving of a try in my opinion.

O
O
Originally Posted by Mully220
Definitely sounds like it is worth trying. Can I ask whose D2 you tested?
One was a camillus the other a KoA. I have multiple edc pocket knives in d2 as well.. magnacut is definitely a top tier steel for outdoor use imo.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hogue deka is the only experience i have with it.

Magnacut was designed for knives.

Ive listened to Larrin Thomas on various podcasts. Seems to know what he’s talking about.

+1 on the hogue deka.

Great little knife. Lightweight. 2.2 oz IIRC. ABLE lock is AXIS with wolf springs.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Obsessed1
I have two custom knives with magnacut.. fantastic steel. Holds an edge really well and is very tough. I tested magnacut vs d2 and s30v in a rope cut test and the magnacut spanked the other two. This past year I skinned and removed head and tail of a MD doe, did full gutless on two cow elk and it had lost its shaving edge by the end. 6 swipes per side on a strop and it was shaving again. Did another full md doe and md buck ( both skinning quartering and boning) without sharpening and it still pops hair. My second knife I just received so havent had a chance to use it on game yet... I'm a believer

Who made your magnacut customs?

Thanks.

Frank

O
O
Originally Posted by fshaw
Originally Posted by Obsessed1

Who made your magnacut customs?

Clint Chissan from Strathmore Alberta,
and Evan Siembida from Siembida custom knives.

Thanks.

Frank

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buck just made a limited run of 110s with Magnacut steel. Seems folks were less than happy with the grind or sharpening of the ones received. Any event they made 1000 and sold out quickly

O
O
Clint Chisan from Strathmore AB and
Evan Siembida from Siembida custom knives.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thank you.

Frank

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ToTheTop!!!

Really interested here...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I added another to my collection, with a kershaw auto. I think that makes 6 total in magnacut. Only had it a few weeks but I really like it, so far it seems like a lot of knife for the money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a North Arm knives Skaha 2 coming in Magnacut. Looking forward to carrying it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Got one on order, stonhocker spike. We’ll see 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, guys. Will keep following for feedback on actual use once you all get a chance to try them. I received my first from Phil Wilson the second week of April last year, so just short of a year. My kid carried it and we used it here, in the UK and in Argentina. I was very impressed! But, the canard is that it is from Phil Wilson; not exactly representative of what you might get from a random maker. I subsequently got a custom fixed blade from BGM Knives, a mid-tech fixed blade from Bark River, a mid-tech fixed blade from Dawson Knives, a factory fixed blade from Bradford knives, a folder from Chris Reeve, 2 folders from Hogue ... and it seems like I'm forgetting one or two. All were at minimum pretty darn good!

More to follow...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember another! A Tactile Knives Rockwall. My wife has been carrying one every day for months...

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Ya a Phil Wilson might not be a good representation you lucky guy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mully220
Ya a Phil Wilson might not be a good representation you lucky guy.

I've considered Phil a friend for near 20 years. I forever owe him a debt from this year where he worked secretly with my wife to make me a surprise retirement present that has pretty much weaned me from looking for "performance" in a knife.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
What pattern did you get?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 57 invisible), 3,094 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,674
Posts18,534,209
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.