Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Detachment
AK23005442
Type: Fatal Bear Attack
Dispatch Text:

On January 17, 2023, at 2:30 pm, the Alaska State Troopers received a report of a polar bear attack in Wales. Initial reports indicate that a polar bear had entered the community and had chased multiple residents. The bear fatally attacked an adult female and juvenile male – it was shot and killed by a local resident as it attacked the pair. Troopers and the Alaska Department of Fish and Game are working to travel to Wales as weather conditions allow. Next of kin notifications are still in progress.

Posted on 1/17/2023 4:49:54 PM

My wife called from work to tell me one of my former students had died. She said look on Trooper Dispatch....ugh! Sweet kid.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 01/17/23.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Klik,

Condolences on the loss of a former student... don't know if it was the mother or the child. I do know how invested/attached teachers get in their students, especially up in that country where the villages, classes, etc. are so small and people are so intertwined in their lives.

My aunt and uncle spent time in both KOTZ and Unalakleet teaching back in the early 1970's and 80's before finishing their careers in Anchorage. I am amazed at how close they still remain with those kids to this day, even in their 70's. I remember how dedicated they were to their teaching and those kids back in the day... at the time it seemed like many struggled to take the next step after HS. Fast forward 40 years and it is inspiring to hear how many of the kids finally found their footing in life as well as impressive success in Ak and abroad. I remind my aunt and uncle that it is the "return on their investment" that often only teachers and parents ofter get to enjoy, not financial but just as rewarding, especially when you assess life in the rearview mirror as the sunset gets closer in the windshield.

A couple of those other long time KOTZ teachers, who were later my employers in the 1980's summers, were originally based out of Wales. They had many old friends, fond memories, and colorful stories, too.

Thanks for your "investment" in those kids.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Klik,

Sorry to hear of the loss of the young lady and her child. Strange set of circumstances. Too bad the other residents didn’t have a weapon closer to hand.

I lost one of my absolute most favorite students when he was killed in a freak car crash on his honeymoon.

Last edited by Johnny Dollar; 01/18/23.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Damn. Condolences.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Klikitarik;
Good evening to you sir, sorry to read of this.

My thoughts and prayers are with the friends and family left behind.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Klik, sorry for the loss of the lady and her son. Horrible way to die.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Did you teach in Wales or did she school in Kotz? I knew people in Wales. Haven't seen the names yet.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
The woman was from St. Michael were Klikitarik taught. It was a bad situation as the attack was witnessed by people in the school and happened close to the school.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The incident involved mother, 24 yo, and son, just turned 1 yo.

A bear in town, whether white or brown, is not common in these outlying places. Neither is it unheard of. I remember taking kids out to Diomede for a ski meet years ago, and they had a crew of local men who were armed for protection against polar bears who guarded the perimeter whenever the kids were involved in activities out on the ice. Some thought it was overplayed. Obviously the local folks knew something.

I also remember people mentioning that a 14 yo kid had recently stepped out of his house out on Diomede and killed a polar bear with his 308 before school one morning.

This incident just makes my heart heavy. Besides her 3 sisters and 3 brothers, good friends of a couple of our own kids who grieve together with them, the extension of grief is widespread.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My condolences

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Really sad. That would be a big hit for a small community.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yes it is.

The follow up story in today's paper made things a lot clearer - no pun intended. In whiteout conditions, visibility is very limited, and most everyone is in-doors and not looking out. Add in a white bear on white-out condition, and things make sense.

When I was in Pt Hope I lived maybe a quarter mile from the school where I worked. One time in white-out/blowing conditions I could barely see my feet, but I did see that polar bear track. I had to be within yards of it, as it wouldn't have been visible a minute or less later. That gets the adrenaline going!

In Barrow, I was out running the Lab down the beach trail with the snow-machine one night; he running just ahead in the headlight. Suddenly his head snapped up and I smelled rancid seal. Quick decision!!!

We kept going, and a few yards later he turned his head to the right, and I figured we were OK. We went home by another inland route. I did start to carry a handgun on those late night runs tho. Not that I felt all that confident it would make a difference, but maybe.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just saw another article today out of AK on the tragedy... sounds like weather and visibility were in fact an issue. It also mentioned that before the bear was finally shot, people in the school tried to drive the bear away from the victims with shovels but were chased back into the school with the bear almost getting in as well. Tragedy could have possibly been even worse!

You know how news stories go but if true, wow! I feel sorry for those who had to witness that.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Didn't see las' post above.

I remember hearing stories from the locals in KOTZ about using "ropes" between buildings to navigate during bad blizzards/snowstorms. I remember imagining at the time just the ramifications wrt to getting lost and freezing to death... never thought about being attacked by a polar bear, etc.

We lower 48er's can only imagine (bad fog, storms, etc) although I do remember old timers w/ dementia, etc. getting out of the house during a bad storm in N. Dakota and wandering the "back 40" of the farm... never ended well. Life and Mother Nature can still be so harsh despite Man's belief that he has most things figured out in this modern day and age according to the "experts."

Still waiting for the Great Salt Lake to go dry as the same "experts" have recently predicted to our local politicians/controllers of the purse but it will have to wait until after we possibly flood this summer!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Really sad

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (338reddog, BABore, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,954
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.