Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
U.S.
A Hawaii man told his friend he had hooked a "huge" tuna while deep-sea fishing. He went overboard and is still missing.
JANUARY 18, 2023 / 6:17 AM / CBS/AP

Rescuers searched for a third day Tuesday for a Hawaii fisherman who went overboard from a boat after hooking a tuna over the weekend, authorities said. Mark Knittle, 63, of Captain Cook, was fishing with a friend off Honaunau on the Big Island on Sunday, when he hooked an ahi, or tuna, police said.

"The friend heard Knittle say, 'The fish is huge,' then saw Knittle go overboard into the water," according to a police news release.

The friend tried to grab the line, but Knittle disappeared within seconds, the release said. The friend jumped in but couldn't see Knittle.

The Hawaii County Fire Department was helping the Coast Guard search from the sea and air. They were expected to continuously search the area for 72 hours, police said.

"Usually our incidents like this are along the coastlines. This is a different situation because it's out in the deep," said Darwin Okinaka, Hawaii County Fire Department assistant chief of operations.

According to police, Knittle and his friend were 4 miles from the Honaunau Boat Ramp.

"If there's a fish that's actually pulling him around, you don't know where he could go," Okinaka said.

Ahi can be up to six feet long and weigh up to 400 pounds, according to NOAA Fisheries. Police described Knittle as 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighing 185 pounds.

The Coast Guard said he was last seen wearing dark shorts and a dark shirt, Jan. 15, off Honaunau, Big Island.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Coast Guard's Sector Honolulu at 808-842-2600.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"If there's a fish that's actually pulling him around, you don't know where he could go," Okinaka said.

Sad situation, but that quote from the news report made me laugh.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I might as well say it , because if I dont someone else will.

He died doing what he loved.

I always like to add until it killed him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It happens, my chair came off when I hooked a 300lb bull shark, the wet floor conditions and shark fighting about pulled me overboard, while still "hooked" in my seat. I caught myself in time to prevent being pulled out of boat.

https://postimg.cc/Wq3PXZk5

Last edited by Esox357; 01/18/23.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If only reels were made with a feature that would allow the fisher to regulate the amount of pull a fish provides.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you’re gonna play tug of war running big braid and heavy drags buttoned down, you’d be wise to fish with a knife in your pocket.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
He's likely shark dinner, the erratic sounds a big fish makes during the fight brings in sharks often BIG sharks. Sharks that have learned that boats make catching dinner much easier, like bears that go towards gun shots.
A human being towed along by a fast swimming big game fish would be hammered by sharks. The older guy was probably drowned within seconds.

I fished in the biloxi big game fishing club for three years and always had a line-knife around my neck. They look like a magnum envelope opener and will cut 700lb. mono leader with one swipe.
We won the season championship every year, the club started sending/paying for 2 teams to travel to Hawaii Big Island so that others would get to go, laf.
I've been there twice.
We stayed at the King Kamehameha hotel, in the lobby was a 1650+ pound taxidermist blue marlin , > beast of a fish. A local Tackle shop had one 1800+ pounds.

This guy is paying attention to the fish and not the fishing line, he let the line get enough slack that it tangled, very dangerous for him and the wire-man. He's lucky to be alive. Never let line pile up under the wire-mans feet.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Tying myself to a rod and reel doesn’t appeal to me at all even though I’d love to get to catch large fish like many do. I’d think the man passed quickly which is better than many get to do and was doing something he loved. Sad loss but could have been much worse.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Knife..., always on you...

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Also having the rod tethered to the boat.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yes
Yes

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Knife..., always on you...

100%

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Damn! I once thought that was about to happen to me!

About 84 or 5 miles outta Galveston, on a friends cuzzin boat. H
Had a big ol shark eat a snapper I was pulling in..somehow shark got hooked. Drag was cranked to tight on 80 lbs braid.. Cousins tackle, new Penn and fairly expensive rod... did not want to let go!
. I realized I couldn't hold on just in time, and let go of the rod...Thank goodness it was tethered to the boat !
[bleep] happens quick !

Prayers for the fishermen and family

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
RIP Chris Bowie.
Was one of the best and it wasn't even a big marlin.
https://apnews.com/article/9dcd5b91709d001e86fb7226e43fffb9

Life is good live it while you can.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
During small boat Bluefin commercial fishing we used a harness with a Dring attached to boat as all was done standup. There was one fisherman here off of Morehead that harpooned a good Bluefin and line tangled around his foot and pulled over board and drowned. Was fishing by himself. Been number of years ago. RIP fellow fisherman....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.