Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Step father is setting up a rifle for my little sister. Secured a Tikka superlite in 6.5cm. Have yet to mount up everything. Trigger is nice out of the box and action cycles very smooth. Got a set of talleys in medium height to pair with a Sightron Big Sky 3-12x42. Looking to use RL26 and Hornady 147 ELDMs.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by woodson; 01/18/23.
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My old Tikka did great with Alpha brass, BR2's and 46.5 RL26 seated on the lands with the 147's. Got 2775 FPS and it was as accurate as I can shoot with the 6x SS.

That'll be a nice setup though.

Semper Fi
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The plastic “bottom metal” seems cheap. Anyone replace theirs with an alloy?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by woodson
Step father is setting up a rifle for my little sister. Secured a Tikka super lite in 6.5cm. Have yet to mount up everything up. Trigger is nice out of the box and action cycles very smooth. Got a set of talleys in medium height to pair with a Sightron Big Sky 3-12x42. Looking to use RL26 and Hornady 147 ELDMs.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let us know how it does for you, once you assemble that big pile of parts and components.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Mountain tactical works great.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Did it come from a Sportsman's Warehouse? Wanting to know if they are still the only source for the Superlight.

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
My old Tikka did great with Alpha brass, BR2's and 46.5 RL26 seated on the lands with the 147's. Got 2775 FPS and it was as accurate as I can shoot with the 6x SS.

Curious if you needed a drop tube to load that charge?

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RHClark
Did it come from a Sportsman's Warehouse? Wanting to know if they are still the only source for the Superlight.

That’s exactly where sir.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

They do seem cheap. They also feed very well and are reliable.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The mags work just fine. Some plastic mags and guns don't but there is no reason to change anything on the Tikka.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Curious if you needed a drop tube to load that charge?

I do use a 4" drop tube for charging. I don't think it'll be too much trouble though. Alpha is thick brass.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
The mags work just fine. Some plastic mags and guns don't but there is no reason to change anything on the Tikka.

I think he was asking about the bottom metal? I don't have an issue with any of the plastic bottom metal on my Tikka rifles, but I got a Mountain Tactical bottom metal for free (came off of another rifle I sold) and I am very happy with it. The only reason I suggested it. It fits great and also works very well with the factory mags. Looks good too. I'd personally just leave the plastic on there, especially if it is for a young kid (his "little" sister). If she falls on it and breaks it, they are cheap to replace..

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have that identical rifle
With Talley’s and 3-12 Nikon tactical.
I shoot 130 TGK with big game. 41.5 gr at 2880-2900fps. I like the flatter trajectory over the heavier pills. I don’t shoot past 600.
You’re going to love that rifle.
I also put limb saver on and a new vertical grip.

Last edited by Dre; 01/18/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have bought a couple of used ones on which the prior owner had spent the money replacing them. One is a Mountain Tactical and the other is a High Desert Rifle Works. I like them. They are both nice. To me, they are a complete waste of money. I don't know what one would have to do to break the factory bottom metal/plastic. I'm sure there is someone here who can post " me n a pard have broke dozens ofem" and I won't doubt them. However, they are pretty strong and pretty well protected when mounted and in use.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks, my friend. You can call me Randy if you like. Can you give an actual measured weight of just the rifle? Sometimes factory specs are off a good bit ,was why I asked.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
I have that identical rifle
With Talley’s and 3-12 Nikon tactical.
I shoot 130 TGK with big game. 41.5 gr at 2880-2900fps. I like the flatter trajectory over the heavier pills. I don’t shoot past 600.
You’re going to love that rifle.
I also put limb saver on and a new vertical grip.

I think a lot of us have the identical rifle. I remember a friend asking if we could go to the range so he could shoot mine. He was in search of a good 6.5 Creedmoor rifle and I told him about the superlite. After shooting mine, we took a 60 mile drive to the nearest Cabela's. I told him he could buy the same rifle, but with a black stock for $100 less at Sportsman's. He said he wanted the camo stocked one from Cabela's and didn't mind paying the extra. Plus he had about $500 in cabela's points.. How the rifle shot was one of the deciding factors. Now when one of his buddies ask what rifle they should look at buying, he always suggests Tikka.. I'm like Dre, I mainly shoot lighter weight pills in mine. 140gr ELD's are about tops. My buddy is running the 127 LRX in his. I don't think he took it elk hunting last year, but he said that should drop an elk pretty easily. Someone asked about weight of these rifles. Mine was 6 pounds on the nose, after glass bedding.. I did remove a little material through the barrel channel though, so it is freefloating. A few small tricks make it shoot a little better than an out of the box rifle..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only functional problem with the plastic BM that I have found is the thin sheet metal inside upon which the action screws engage. Don't over-torque the screws (40-45 in-lbs works well) or else you may collapse that metal sheet inward. I've seen it happen.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Is it really the parts fault if someone over torques the action screws?

The bottom plastic, magazine, etc....much ado about nothing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Is it really the parts fault if someone over torques the action screws?

The bottom plastic, magazine, etc....much ado about nothing.

No, but it may be something to be mindful of? I torque mine pretty good, but have never seen any issues as described..

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have 2 of them. One in 223 and one in 6.5x55. Nice and light and fairly accurate.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (29aholic, 308xray, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 2500HD, 300_savage, 27 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,192
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.