Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A solution for a problem, that I don't live in any of the states that require that solution...

I picked up two Savage 350 Legends, because they were on Walmart Close Outs...when Walmart here was getting out of the gun biz... $425.00 for the pair of them.

One has a 17 Fireball barrel on it... and the other is getting a 6 x 45 barrel on it, that I've ordered .

one thing the Legend from Savage has me liking is the barrel length and contour.. I ordered both the 17 Fireball and the 6. x 45 from Douglas in the same 18 inch barrel and heavy magnum contour that the 350 Legend barrels were in...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington isn't alone. Nobody's making components unless it's for a "latest craze" caliber. Hornady for example has dropped a LOT of calibers from brass production or ammo.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The buckhammer is a tapered case. Trim any of those cases to 1.8 inches, run them threw a die and party on.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Remington isn't alone. Nobody's making components unless it's for a "latest craze" caliber. Hornady for example has dropped a LOT of calibers from brass production or ammo.
Hornady has introduced a few new cartridges over the past several years, most are successful to very successful, same with Nosler.

Remington, ATK, Vista Outdoors, on the other hand has no clue how to market such a product and most important how to keep ammo, components and rifles available.

They can’t even get brass for existing cartridges on the shelf and we are supposed to believe they will fill this niche.

I’ll bet there are plenty of 30 REM AR owners that are patiently waiting for their brass or ammo to hit the shelves.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a very good design if there is support from the ammo and gun makers. 30-30 brass and familiar/reliable bullets. Gives about 35Remington performance. What's not to like?

I'd buy one quick if I was in a shotgun zone.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
It's a very good design if there is support from the ammo and gun makers. 30-30 brass and familiar/reliable bullets. Gives about 35Remington performance. What's not to like?

I'd buy one quick if I was in a shotgun zone.

Yep,

You sum it up nicely. I have a couple of Marlins in 35 Remington and can tell you that they work great on deer and hogs. This cartridge is better in that it will be legal in for a lot of hunters and brass can be made from several rimmed cartridges in a pinch.

It will also work in model 94 winchesters which have never been made in 35 Remington.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by steve4102
I’m pretty sure everyone gets the purpose, it’s the fact that it’s another Remington introduction that’s the problem.

Except it isn't. The 360 Buckhammer was jointly introduced by Remington Ammo USA and Henry, not REMARMS.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think this conversation really sums it up with 2 groups

I live or hunt in an area that is a straight wall cartridge area
I have interest

I don’t live/ hunt in a straight wall cartridge area I really don’t give a crap

The 350 Legend has picked up stream here in MI and seems to be doing well as I posted previously I love my 450 and Daughter, Son in Law and a pile of friends are good with the 450.
I hunted for 20 years with my 50 cal Encore MZ when MI was a shot gun state ( it took me a while to decide to switch to the 450 after it was legal) and was fine with it but when I switched to the 450 it was a very good change

But I sure understand the skepticism of the new latest and greatest most times as many of you do you study if for a few minutes and say hell that’s the same as this cartridge made in 19xx

But most hunters are not you and spot that they are swayed by the influencers

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 01/19/23.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by boatboy

I have interest

The 350 Legend has picked up stream here in MI and seems to be doing well as I posted previously I love my 450 and Daughter, Son in Law and a pile of friends are good with the 450.
I hunted for 20 years with my 50 cal Encore MZ when MI was a shot gun state ( it took me a while to decide to switch to the 450 after it was legal) and was fine with it but when I switched to the 450 it was a very good change

Hank

And the 3rd group that doesn't live in a screw restriction state but still wants one and that appreciates a straight wall case for slinging lead.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hornady has introduced a few new cartridges over the past several years, most are successful to very successful, same with Nosler.

Remington, ATK, Vista Outdoors, on the other hand has no clue how to market such a product and most important how to keep ammo, components and rifles available.

They can’t even get brass for existing cartridges on the shelf and we are supposed to believe they will fill this niche.

I’ll bet there are plenty of 30 REM AR owners that are patiently waiting for their brass or ammo to hit the shelves.

And that may be a bit of a chicken/egg deal.

It's not on the shelf because the local dealer isn't ordering it because they're selling multiples of some other cartridge instead. They have finite ordering capabilities and are allocating it to the "sexy" because that's what people are buying and the guns they can get in too.

Me

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

I have interest

Hank

And the 3rd group that doesn't live in a screw restriction state but still wants one and that appreciates a straight wall case for slinging lead.

Yep you are on it
my Buddy Freddie if you cant kill it or shoot it with a 45-70 its not worth messing with
good point
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wasn't aware of the older 35-30 wildcat. Sounds like a good one as well.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm waiting for S&W to chamber for it. More fun to shoot than my 460 w/no moon clips like the 350L.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

I have interest

Hank

Yep you are on it
my Buddy Freddie if you cant kill it or shoot it with a 45-70 its not worth messing with
good point
Hank

Just that it will be a better lead (read cast bullet) slinger than a 35 Rem. I can load any of the thousands of cast bullets I use in my 38/357 revolvers in it.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Doesn't matter, they, just like ALL of them focus on what sells, can't say I blame them, but they stopped producing a whole lot of brass..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I will not use it but welcome any new cartridge that guys can use in restricted areas.By the way Remington is under new ownership now and judging them by past ownership is just plain dumb.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The .308 based wildcat I've been working on can be reloaded using .44 Mag. carbide dies. A 300 grain jacketed softpoint at around 2500 FPS would give that "buckhammer" a run for its money on that clay block. For use in states where the case length isn't an issue, a .30-06 case could get the same treatment- - - - -cut the brass off at the base of the taper, fireform, and use a .429 bullet. The case taper would resemble a .30-06 AI.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Seems like they took Winchester’s idea but gave us a .357 instead of a stupid .355. That’s shrewd business acumen. Can’t imagine them twisting it wrong like Remington has be known to do.
From what I've read it's a. 358 so normal 35 caliber rifle bullets will work fine.
The .357 bullets may or may not be as accurate.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

a little more info

Originally Posted by Reloading Bench Site
"Historical Notes:

Although not widely known, the 35-30/30 is one of the oldest wildcats, having originated around the turn of the century. Its original purpose was to salvage worn out 32-40 and 32 Winchester Special barrels by reboring them to 35 caliber. The idea was also implied to improve the performance of Winchester Model 1894 rifles and carbines while staying within the cartridge length and pressure limitations of this action. The 35-30/30 cartridge is based on necking up 30-30 or 32 Winchester Special brass without any other change, although a few rifles have been made up to accept the Ackley Improved version of this case. Recently there has been a rebirth of interest in this cartridge by silhouette shooters who like to use cast bullets. In 1976, Arizona gunsmith Paul Marquart built several 35-30/30 silhouette rifles built on the Remington 788 action, and these quickly established a reputation as being both accurate and effective for the intended sport. Information on these rifles was published in The Fouling Shot, published by the Cast Bullet Association, and other shooters found it promising as a target and hunting cartridge. The 35-30/30 can be loaded to about equal the ballistics of the 35 Remington, and in fact, if Remington hadn't introduced their rimless 35 in 1908, it is highly possible that the necked up 30-30 would have become much more popular than it did. In any event, it is picking up a new but modest following.

...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore

a little more info

Originally Posted by Reloading Bench Site
"Historical Notes:

Although not widely known, the 35-30/30 is one of the oldest wildcats, having originated around the turn of the century. Its original purpose was to salvage worn out 32-40 and 32 Winchester Special barrels by reboring them to 35 caliber. The idea was also implied to improve the performance of Winchester Model 1894 rifles and carbines while staying within the cartridge length and pressure limitations of this action. The 35-30/30 cartridge is based on necking up 30-30 or 32 Winchester Special brass without any other change, although a few rifles have been made up to accept the Ackley Improved version of this case. Recently there has been a rebirth of interest in this cartridge by silhouette shooters who like to use cast bullets. In 1976, Arizona gunsmith Paul Marquart built several 35-30/30 silhouette rifles built on the Remington 788 action, and these quickly established a reputation as being both accurate and effective for the intended sport. Information on these rifles was published in The Fouling Shot, published by the Cast Bullet Association, and other shooters found it promising as a target and hunting cartridge. The 35-30/30 can be loaded to about equal the ballistics of the 35 Remington, and in fact, if Remington hadn't introduced their rimless 35 in 1908, it is highly possible that the necked up 30-30 would have become much more popular than it did. In any event, it is picking up a new but modest following.

Cool ..... While I no longer play with wildcats, that one does seem to be a good one, esp when it was designed.

Thanks

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.