Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just sitting here enjoying some awesome stereo. I always wanted a good system but couldn't afford one when I was younger. I did some trading with a good friend and picked up some pieces from Facebook a while back. Long story short I'm enjoying about $15K in retail stereo equipment and I have about $500 in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before I got married I had a room mate that was really into sound systems. Top of the line stuff with big Klipsh corner horn speakers. He seemed to always need to turn it up to ear piercing levels to impress others.
I’m happy with my $400 Bose.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Back in the day, I spent a lot of money on (usually used) components from Nakamichi, Denon, Thorens, etc...

After ten years of exposure to guns, farm equipment, and industrial rotating equipment, I realized that my ears couldn't process the sound quality i was producing.

I sold most of my high end stuff, and currently have some nice classic Onkyo compnents and Polk speakers (kept the Thorens turntable though) that sound fine to me.

R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm a lot more into accurate rendition than loud. I did a lot of loud with concerts in my youth. I did once have someone from a church a mile away call and ask me to turn it down on a Sunday morning. I will have to plead that I was only about 17 at the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know what I like but am not an audiophile.

I need to get the vinyl up and running and I'm happy.

Me

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I would not describe my self as a audiophile but I love listening to music, very rarely have a tv on but always some music playing. I have a set of klipsch book shelfs rite now with a streamer hooked up with Amazon music. I have been on the look out for the rite vintage reciver for the rite price and plan on pulling the trigger on some klipsch forte 4s when I get the rite one.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the day I was. Like RHC, I'm more into HD sound. Most of my serious listening is with headphones or the Bose sound system in the truck. YouTube has some amazing live recordings.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Puhlease? Nothing beats a high end turntable with a great cartridge, an excellent tube amp and preamp, great cables, and a pair of high end speakers like Martin Logan, B&W, KEF, Wilson, etc. along with excellent vinyl records. I’ve been playing with this stuff for decades. Trust me, you ain’t heard music on a home system until you’ve treated yourself to a “real” audio system!!!

If you do what you've always done, then you will get what you've always got.
Carpe Diem,
bgcatty
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That stuff is part of why, I can't hear well.

R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm using a B&W amp to power Meadowlark Blue Heron speakers. I do enjoy the internet, however. with a custom sound computer and a very nice DAC.

IC B3

RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm currently looking to upgrade...bought my retirement home (log) and will go in a large room with vaulted ceiling. Looking at various components right now, but as I'm sure know, you can pretty much jump down a rabbit hole....

Looking at an Anthem STR to start.

Last edited by RVB; 01/19/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Define audiophile . . .

I'm a music junkie. I play it every day and I often like it loud and live-sounding, as well as full-sounding even at low volumes, with plenty of resolution both ways.

Hold the chocolatey mids and velvety treble with sparkles, please, along with the $2K cables, fancy power regenerators, and other such powdered-unicorn-horn, pseudoscientific voodoo.

I like good audio for movies, too, and hate bloated, boomy, room-induced bass. I love clean, tight, detailed, articulate bass with an even frequency response, thus the Dirac Live software and plug-ins, because the living room can't look like a mixing studio.

Besides streaming, I have 1100+ CDs ripped to a 1 TB USB SS drive. All of that goes through J River > Dirac Live room correction > Schiit Bifrost > Anthem Integrated 225 > Klipsch Forte III + (GR research crossovers and cab reinforcement/tuning). PS 3 for spinning anything video that J River for some reason won't decode. I feel no urge to upgrade.

System 2 (shop) is Lenovo laptop w/2 TB HD or Oppo BDP 93 > Schiit Modi 2 Multibit > Onkyo A-8067 > Klipsch KG 3.5 with Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms, refinished cabs, recapped crossovers and Frank Van Alstine's polymer clay damping trick on the driver baskets and horns (all work done by me).

Blue Jeans Cables throughout.

My old hearing probably isn't good enough any more to warrant a dedicated listening room, but it would be veddy cool, as would a dedicated HT (think 4 X 15" 600W, sealed servo subwoofers right out of the gate, along with all the other speakers, processing, amps, and room treatment that sort of system entails.

I don't always listen to AC/DC, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Am I an audiphile?

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bgcatty
Puhlease? Nothing beats a high end turntable with a great cartridge, an excellent tube amp and preamp, great cables, and a pair of high end speakers like Martin Logan, B&W, KEF, Wilson, etc. along with excellent vinyl records. I’ve been playing with this stuff for decades. Trust me, you ain’t heard music on a home system until you’ve treated yourself to a “real” audio system!!!

You ain't heard that system until you've heard it in a well-treated, dedicated room. The average living room ain't coming close without some sort of processing or equalization. Decent bass traps at least . . .

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bgcatty

Back in the day a pair of Martin-Logan Monoliths driven by a Conrad-Johnson VT200 was a potent combo.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My living room has a revel atmos inwall system. My theater is rbh and Harmon. Listening is Kef
And Macintosh.

I used to be really into car audio but new cars aren't compatible with my old premier cd player with 24 bit burr brown converters and digital time alignment. Last time I has it in a car was when I bought a new 2010 carry and completely stripped the interior and dynamatted everything. Ran 2 10s 2 6.5s and 2 tweets with linear power and premier amps on each set. The local car audio shop still talks about being blown away hearing it a dozen years later. All about getting your placement, crossovers, and time alignment right.

Did lot of big car systems in the early 90s and won some big iasca competitions.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have no idea whether or not I am an audiophile. But, have been engaged in serious listening and analysis of music for more than 70 years. The very top end early Hi Fi equipment was way beyond my reach but, for reasonable bucks, very good used equipment was not far away in Philly or NYC. By 1957 managed to get (all used except the speaker) a mono EV 40 watt preamp/amp combo, a Garrard changer and a Jensen Triaxial in a Carlson cabinet I built from a drawing. Not much by today's standards, but to me it was heavenly listening. Even managed to wire in a feed from the radio and could listen to jazz DJ broadcasts in evenings and symphony/opera concerts on weekends. The quality went up from there.

Will not bore you with details but, yes, there is a system in every space where I live, play and work. Six in all.

One thing learned early from keen listening within performing groups - unless listening through good headphones, a guy has to MOVE A LOT OF AIR to experience great sound production to the ears. So, most of my speakers do that with large surface/reinforcement space. (LDC - each with 15" aluminum cone woofer, sixteen 4" mid range and with ribbon tweeters and subwoofer added). Separate amps for the tweeters and sub. In another space - Klipsch Corner Horns.

There are a bunch of good amps out there now, but I depend mostly on older ones - Crown, McIntosh, etc.

One favorite item is this Transcriptor turntable with vestigal arm - and in a glass case.

Thanks for starting a fun thread.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have been missing my system since we sold our home in Michigan in April of 2021. Been renting small places since then. Looking forward to owning a home again, hopefully soon and getting it set up again. I bought a decent 60 inch TV, an Onkyo receiver and Kef speakers. I got the Q900 front, Q300 rear and Q650 center channel along with an SVS subwoofer. Mostly for watching TV, streaming Pandora and from all the music on my phone to the sound system.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have settled to a decent set of headphones that are plugged into a desk top computer.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was years ago. I still have my Carver amplifier, David Hafler pre-amp that I assembled from a kit, Yamaha turntable and KEF speakers. All residing in a closet.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I love my kef uniQs.

Bought my first set in 1994.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 01/19/23.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.