Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4and1 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have an old Shooting Chrony that I've had since new. I know it's not top of the line, but it has given me a general idea of velocities. Last time I had it out, the velocities didn't seem the change much, even when trying a different load. So my trust isn't there anymore. I'm going to borrow a magnetospeed and set up both for comparison, before I spend money on another. But I wonder just what could have gone bad to cause erratic readouts? This has never been shot, never out in the rain.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It could be just about anything. The optosensors can become shock sensitive or the time base can be screwed up due to a bad crystal...or anything in between. It's a simple device in theory but all the components have to function properly, and there are lots of different ways for it to screw up.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 4and1
I have an old Shooting Chrony that I've had since new.

Chronograph Broken ?..........was a POS in the first place

Buy a real one, magnetospeed is better Labradar or Oehler much better

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't know how long I've had mine...
but its always worked, easy and quick to set up if you're just chrony'ing a few shots.

I've ran into friends at the range that have had the Oehler and some other of the more expensive ones...
Readings were only different by a few FPS, between them... all handloads by handloaders...

Because of that and how quick and easy they are to set up, several of my friends with the spendy chronys have bought a Shooting Chrony, just for the times they need a quick set up and answer to their velocity.

Mine has been back to the factory, once.. and that was so long ago, I can't remember what the heck for...

I did spring for a Lab Radar a year ago or more... Haven't even taken the time to set it up to figure it out...My Shooting Chrony works good enough for me...If I'm off 10 fps, it really doesn't affect my world...

No disrespect to BoatAnchor.. just guess we have different perspectives.

But I really should set up that Lab Radar unit and get to know it, since I paid just short of $600 to have it on the door step...delivered.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Seafire, when you set up that Labradar, shoot through your chrony and compare velocities. I did that with a 35P and readings were ~10 fps difference both in front and behind the Oehler. Believe MD has said the same thing more than once, and more than once Boat dead weight has had absolutely nothing of value to add in these threads other than it’s a POS.

OP, make sure the optical sensors are clean, that the device is unfolded completely and install a new battery if it hasn’t been done already. Mine still works fine after 25 years.

Last edited by Swifty52; 01/21/23.

Swifty
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Boat has had absolutely nothing of value to add in these threads other than it’s a POS.

You are absolutely correct, because that is what I believe. Have never seen one work properly glad you think yours does

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Swifty, I am going to admit, I ALWAYS read both yours and Boatanchor's threads. I respect both of you gentlemen's perspective. I don't have to always agree with anyone to appreciate their perspectives. I don't like living in a world, that is a one lane bridge in life. I appreciate perspectives that differ from mine.. Makes my mind think and analyse both the opposite perspective and then mine...

That rewards me with two outcomes.. 1. Allows me to consider things I may not have thought of... or 2. Solidifies my beliefs on the subject.

We close our minds, we no longer develop or grow.

Reading both of your threads is not going to change on Planet Seafire.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had two and they worked fine when I stopped using the band aid sized light diffusers that come with them.

A piece of cardboard wide enough and long enough to keep both sensors out of direct sunlight made a big difference.

I've used several different chronographs rotated sideways or upside down to keep them in diffused light, not sunshine on one sensor and not the other
or sunshine coming in from the side...

It's not an elegant solution but it'll cost you nothing to test.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

4and1 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will give the suggestions a try, nothing to lose. I've never tried to clean the sensors, or bigger shades over them.

I use it only when testing new powders for a cartridge. If it's off by 10-20 fps doesn't bother me, as long as it is repeatable. A friend is loaning me his magnetospeed. I'll set them both up and compare shot to shot.

No way I'm spending the money on a labradar.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
I don't know how long I've had mine...
but its always worked, easy and quick to set up if you're just chrony'ing a few shots.

I've ran into friends at the range that have had the Oehler and some other of the more expensive ones...
Readings were only different by a few FPS, between them... all handloads by handloaders...

Because of that and how quick and easy they are to set up, several of my friends with the spendy chronys have bought a Shooting Chrony, just for the times they need a quick set up and answer to their velocity.

Mine has been back to the factory, once.. and that was so long ago, I can't remember what the heck for...

I did spring for a Lab Radar a year ago or more... Haven't even taken the time to set it up to figure it out...My Shooting Chrony works good enough for me...If I'm off 10 fps, it really doesn't affect my world...

No disrespect to BoatAnchor.. just guess we have different perspectives.

But I really should set up that Lab Radar unit and get to know it, since I paid just short of $600 to have it on the door step...delivered.

I use an older one than most of you whipper snappers use. I bought it used and, yes, it has been shot a couple times. Not by me, but by the other person that owned it. I paid $50 for it at a gunshop in Hood River. It even used cardboard in slots over the sensors that you shoot through. Some guys like boatanchor always have issues, no matter what it is. He complains about rifles, powder, loads that don't shoot well too. Like I've said many times before, if you are having issues like that, it's probably not the item you are complaining about!!!!! I have very few rifles in the safes that shoot poorly. Actually none of them shoot poorly, after finding good loads for them. Just like the old chronograph I use. It gives me velocity readings, and that is all I care about. The groups rifles shoot tell me the rest of the story. It sounds like the OP likes to keep things simple as well. I can respect the hell out of that, and I am damn sure not going to be buying a $600 chronograph either. It's not necessary, as long as you trust your shooting skills. It's funny how some guys don't get that. But that is really what it all boils down to. I'm hopeful the OP can get his old chronograph up and running with the suggestions given to him. If not, good luck on finding a good chrono that won't break the bank.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hell, I might even use my old POS today...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Do you have a 'ol reliable, go-to load that you know is right? Then run it through the problem chrony first and see what it tells you.

Hopefully, the MV will be way off, and that'll justify buying something new...

Last edited by Puddle; 01/23/23.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,017
Posts18,481,625
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.