Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by battue
You being a Mainer I'm sure you have seen comical....Up in the North Woods, kids barreling down the road and they see a Grouse. The brakes come on, the dust flies and they jump out and shoot or stand there and yell trying to get the Bird to fly. Back in the car, hit the gas and down the road looking for another opportunity. If you want to call it hunting, it's your hunt. But I do find it comical.

Road hunting in the North woods is standard fare. Those fellas aren't killing grouse though, that's too fancy. They're killing partridge if you ask them. I grew up hunting old grown up apple orchards in Downeast Maine.

Grouse north of the Golden Road don't seem to have much experience with humans. They behave nothing like ruffed grouse in the Allegheny Mountains, where flushes are explosive. Northern ME's partridge have much more lack luster flushes and are more likely to hop a perch before gliding off into the jack firs.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“ 1885 Forest & Stream 25.306 CA, That they [=valley quail] can be shot in vast numbers by the “ground-sluicing” process is true . . ; but our valley bird really lies well to the dog when found where the brush or timber is not too dense. 1899 Pall Mall Mag. 17.116 sCA, Often a stranger would join us, generally a pot-hunter, a ground-sluicer, whom we held in contempt and derision. 1906 Twin Falls News (ID) 26 Oct 4/1, The quail season does not open until November 1, nevertheless the birds have been “ground sluiced” with persistent regularity for weeks. 1929 Billings Gaz. (MT) 8 Oct 11/1, This particular nimrod had the choice of “ground sluicing” several ducks in the water . . or of following the safer and sportier method of inducing the game birds to “flush.” 1953 Reno Eve. Gaz. (NV) 21 Apr 6/2, Usually, the illegal hunter is pictured as ground-sluicing birds with a punt gun like a 37-mm cannon. 1968 DARE FW Addit swNV, Ground-sleuthing—shooting a game bird while it is on the ground or on water. Considered very poor sportsmanship and hated by people who consider themselves real hunters. . . A person who ground-sleuths is a ground-sleuther or, more commonly, a ground-sleuthing son-of-a-bitch. One ground-sleuths and one never talks of a ground sleuth. 1980 Field & Stream Aug 96, One suggestion is that you put a decoy out at 50 yards, so as to tell if ducks are in range. Whoever said that must have been ground-sluicing swimming birds. 2002 DARE File—Internet CA,”

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
“ Shooting ducks on the water is one of the true faux pas in the hunting world, joining the shooting of roosted turkeys and the swatting of grouse in separating the sportsmen from the savages.”

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We used to spotlight jack rabbits when I lived in AZ.
Am I going to hell?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The true measure of a hunter is the ability to sneak within shotgun range of a duck sitting on the water, and shoot it without causing it to flee in terror.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
We used to spotlight jack rabbits when I lived in AZ.
Am I going to hell?

Probably not a question for the waterfowl forum.

🤣

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Backroads
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Almost as sporting as pen raised poultry hunting.

You missed the point, it wasn’t sporting, it was sitting in a tree…

I was poking fun at battue

Good one!!!!😉😀 However, in my defense they were all airborne and had an English Cocker on their asss giving them no other choice. 👍🏻
I would love to watch your dogs flush that grouse out of the tree for Shrap to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Good one!!!!😉😀 However, in my defense they were all airborne and had an English Cocker on their asss giving them no other choice. 👍🏻
I would love to watch your dogs flush that grouse out of the tree for Shrap to shoot AT

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I guess it depends on whether one sees the hunt as a sporting activity or a food gathering process. I’m a wing shooter, but I’d shoot a grouse with a handgun or rifle under some circumstances.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I would love to watch your dogs flush that grouse out of the tree for Shrap to shoot AT

Now that’s funny. Bit of a cheap shot perhaps, but still funny.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would love to watch your dogs flush that grouse out of the tree for Shrap to shoot.

That bird was up there pretty high. I’m not sure either one would have been up to the task. 🙄

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That bird was up there pretty high. I’m not sure either one would have been up to the task. 🙄

Doubt that bird would fly unless you climbed up there.
Though I have hunted with a particular Britt that would make it farther up that tree than most anyone would believe..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just can’t imagine being a grown man and being so puzzy hurt that other hunters do things differently, even if completely legal. I’d be embarrassed to be such a whiney [bleep]. It’s fuggin hilarious! Of course YMMV, but it’s the truth.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So…because some are willing to elevate their personal requirement of how they kill game, in this case they don’t care to shoot fish in the barrel as an analogy, and are willing to voice their thoughts during open discussion, in your opinion they are “pussy” hurt? I also don't recall any saying the swatters are doing anything illegal.

Rational thought is frequently not on display at the fire. My suggestion would be for you to get some additional mileage.

Are the dedicated archers, who say they have left rifle hunting because it has become too easy “pussy” hurt?

You reply will most likely be “fuggin hilarious.”🤣

Last edited by battue; 01/21/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This really has gone far enough, but the high and mighty that are so critical of anything they don’t see as fair chase, have elevated themselves to a marginal standard that they consider best. The OP was about shooting ducks on the water, I posted a video that upset some, but is not immoral and certainly not illegal.

I would never shoot a duck on the water, not because of some legality, but because a duck really isn’t worth shooting anywhere they are. Grouse are the best eating meat of any source you can get hunting, and I don’t leave any that I could take home to cook. Unseen are the ones that are shot on the wing, but I just found out that the Ruffed Grouse I shoot are not as cagey as battue’s, but it’s all we have around here. Blue Grouse, however are a better eating bird and they are my primary target and I will shoot them when they land in a tree.

So we get down to the unwritten standard that a couple guys find necessary to enjoy their day afield, and I say, “go ahead and do it your way” but leave your condemnation at the door. This is a site that started out as a hunting/shooting/outdoor site and has turned into a Facebook page with all the drama of teenage girls.

I doubt that the vitriol that is displayed here would ever exist if people were standing face to face in these discussions…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

IIRC, these guys kept their fish. They’d be pariahs today.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Do they taste better if shot from the air vs sitting on the water?

I have been condemned from other turkey hunters for rolling a bird or 2 out of their roost. They still taste the same.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I have been condemned from other turkey hunters for rolling a bird or 2 out of their roost. They still taste the same.

Valid points, I just don’t like a duck no matter where you shoot them. As far as a turkey shot out of the roost or on the ground, really doesn’t matter, he isn’t going to roost again either way…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Yup, maybe you could save a shell by hitting a flock with your car. Even more efficient.

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,764
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.