Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by troutfly
Hi Steve,
Sounds good, I'll keep you in the loop. The show is shaping up to be interesting for sure.
Not sure if I have your email though. I'll shoot you a PM with mine this evening.
Have a great day,
Jeff

Okay.

I remember feeling overwhelmed. The media room alone was amazing. There were many interesting people there and at the seminars.

I remember thinking about the sheer size of the show and the divergent interests represented there. And sad that, as Canadians, there were things we could only admire from afar.

Cheers.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by troutfly
Hi Steve,
Sounds good, I'll keep you in the loop. The show is shaping up to be interesting for sure.
Not sure if I have your email though. I'll shoot you a PM with mine this evening.
Have a great day,
Jeff

Okay.

I remember feeling overwhelmed. The media room alone was amazing. There were many interesting people there and at the seminars.

I remember thinking about the sheer size of the show and the divergent interests represented there. And sad that, as Canadians, there were things we could only admire from afar.

Cheers.

The media room is quite the place for sure. Lots of resources available, good folks to chat with etc.
With the up-coming changes we are facing here, there are potentially even more firearms and what-not that all we can do is look at.
It gets frustrating trying to plan out a schedule of interviews about new product when you don't even know if it will be available here.
The show is now 800,000 sq feet. Huge to say the least.
Jeff

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Most everything at SW here in Soldotna is over $40 - most of it $45-$65 in common hunting calibers, pain Jane. Premiums ar higher.

Hornady Whitetail in 270/130 is about $35 IIRC- the cheapest of any hunting ammo. (I only check prices every couple weeks- ain't buying anything!)

Last edited by las; 01/17/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by las
Most everything at SW here in Soldotna is over $40 - most of it $45-$65 in common hunting calibers, pain Jane. Premiums ar higher.

Hornady Whitetail in 270/130 is about $35 IIRC- the cheapest of any hunting ammo. (I only check prices every couple weeks- ain't buying anything!)

Wow! They have Hornady Whitetail at Canadian Tire. It's $50 CDN! I know things never stay the same price, but that's approaching $2 a pop! And loaded with Interlocks. But if you want to go hunting and don't reload, there aren't a lot of choices around right now. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Inflation is of course general these days. Typically in global markets, huge stimulus packages of fiat currency lower the value of the dollar everywhere, and inflation is the result. Look at our past 15 years. There was the near-collapse of the USA in 2008 that took not one but three massive rounds of bailouts to rectify (sort-of) and then there was covid and more massive bailouts. Meanwhile, there is the situation with energy. We are swiftly reaching the point where it is going to be uneconomical to burn the oil products we produce, cos all the super-abundant, cheap to produce reserves our global economy needs to run are about gone. Worse, the "shale oil miracle" produced vast amounts of oil, but it's all a grade of oil that you can't refine diesel from, and diesel specifically is what fuels the global economy. Additionally, there has been little in new refinery development since the 1970's, when instability in the oil markets began. Because refineries cost multiple billions to build, doing so is motivated by stable markets. We haven't had them for a half century and we're never likely to again. Healthy markets and reasonable prices (including job markets) in our model being contingent on ever-greater supplies of refined oil products.

All these things mean we can expect inflation and then more inflation as the dollar is worth less and less in real terms. And a sweeping list of additional effects.

Last edited by gulo; 01/21/23.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gulo
Inflation is of course general these days. Typically in global markets, huge stimulus packages of fiat currency lower the value of the dollar everywhere, and inflation is the result. Look at our past 15 years. There was the near-collapse of the USA in 2008 that took not one but three massive rounds of bailouts to rectify (sort-of) and then there was covid and more massive bailouts. Meanwhile, there is the situation with energy. We are swiftly reaching the point where it is going to be uneconomical to burn the oil products we produce, cos all the super-abundant, cheap to produce reserves our global economy needs to run are about gone. Worse, the "shale oil miracle" produced vast amounts of oil, but it's all a grade of oil that you can't refine diesel from, and diesel specifically is what fuels the global economy. Additionally, there has been little in new refinery development since the 1970's, when instability in the oil markets began. Because refineries cost multiple billions to build, doing so is motivated by stable markets. We haven't had them for a half century and we're never likely to again.

All these things mean we can expect inflation and then more inflation.

Great post gulo! You are only missing one very important element and in my view the most important element driving inflation. The lack of brain power possessed by the leaders currently managing our respective economies/governments. It's actually very frightening, at least to me it is, if you know what I mean?

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/21/23.

KB

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
prices on ammo probably will never go down , just look at how expensive gun powders are now if you can even find what you need ? $40.00 - $50.00 a lb. for powder ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Inflation is of course general these days. Typically in global markets, huge stimulus packages of fiat currency lower the value of the dollar everywhere, and inflation is the result. Look at our past 15 years. There was the near-collapse of the USA in 2008 that took not one but three massive rounds of bailouts to rectify (sort-of) and then there was covid and more massive bailouts. Meanwhile, there is the situation with energy. We are swiftly reaching the point where it is going to be uneconomical to burn the oil products we produce, cos all the super-abundant, cheap to produce reserves our global economy needs to run are about gone. Worse, the "shale oil miracle" produced vast amounts of oil, but it's all a grade of oil that you can't refine diesel from, and diesel specifically is what fuels the global economy. Additionally, there has been little in new refinery development since the 1970's, when instability in the oil markets began. Because refineries cost multiple billions to build, doing so is motivated by stable markets. We haven't had them for a half century and we're never likely to again.

Great post gulo! You are only missing one very important element and in my view the most important element driving inflation. The lack of brain power possessed by the leaders currently managing our respective economies/governments. It's actually very frightening, at least to me it is, if you know what I mean?

It's a process that's been fascinating me since 2005. Yes the quality of our 'leaders' is dismal these days. I think it has been for decades, even if it is worse than ever now. When economies are booming however, leaders look good - even when they may be not be. As someone said of the Ralph Klein years here in Alberta (and i'm not saying he was a good or a bad leader, but he did spend a lot of time drunk wink )... "With its oil revenues doing well, an ape could govern this province and look like a genius!" So there's that. Increasingly our leaders are running out of the raw material backing to make them look good.

Yeah, it's frightening to me, too. it's terrifying in fact, the more you do the math. The future is going to require us to be very tough.

Last edited by gulo; 01/21/23.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It's a process that's been fascinating me since 2005. Yes the quality of our 'leaders' is dismal these days. I think it has been for decades, even if it is worse than ever now. When economies are booming however, leaders look good - even when they may be not be. As someone said of the Ralph Klein years here in Alberta (and i'm not saying he was a good or a bad leader, but he did spend a lot of time drunk wink )... "With its oil revenues doing well, an ape could govern this province and look like a genius!" So there's that. Increasingly our leaders are running out of the raw material backing to make them look good.

Yeah, it's frightening to me, too. it's terrifying in fact, the more you do the math. The future is going to require us to be very tough.

I for one am super happy I am old, had a great life of wine, women and song on top of the hunting, fishing, traveling all in a relatively stable and safe environment.

I really feel sorry for young people these days, I do not believe their life will be anywhere close to the freedom and fun we had during my life cycle. The future looks bleak even dangerous to me in comparison to when I grew up.

By the way I have done a little research on refineries, you don't want one anywhere near you, not because of any environmental impact they may pose, but because if a nuclear war does break out, refineries are top of the hit list! I live not far from one, it is #7 on the target list in Canada for a nuke strike. Lucky me! lol

I went to a lunch where Klien was the keynote speaker, when I shook his hand he had a drink in the other lol.

KB

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by pete53
prices on ammo probably will never go down , just look at how expensive gun powders are now if you can even find what you need ? $40.00 - $50.00 a lb. for powder ?

We are seeing more product on the shelves. I believe that we have turned the corner. This certainly isn't the first shortage.

I suppose the big question is where prices will land, and how long it will take for them to get there.

Keep smiling. It can be difficult, but you have to resist being a negative Nellie like so many others. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the price of factory ammo is becoming an expensive issue, why not buy the components and have a friend handload some for you?
I think what stops alot of people from doing just that is they don't trust handloaded ammo for their rifles.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I for one am super happy I am old, had a great life of wine, women and song on top of the hunting, fishing, traveling all in a relatively stable and safe environment.

I really feel sorry for young people these days, I do not believe their life will be anywhere close to the freedom and fun we had during my life cycle. The future looks bleak even dangerous to me in comparison to when I grew up.

By the way I have done a little research on refineries, you don't want one anywhere near you, not because of any environmental impact they may pose, but because if a nuclear war does break out, refineries are top of the hit list! I live not far from one, it is #7 on the target list in Canada for a nuke strike. Lucky me! lol

I went to a lunch where Klien was the keynote speaker, when I shook his hand he had a drink in the other lol.

Klein was real character. I will never forget the year he had no re-election platform. Someone asked him, "Okay Ralph, what is your election platform?" "Same as last time," he said. I thought that was just classic. How many politicians have that sort of confidence?!

Yes, i've had a great life too, i am getting into upper middle-age and i feel the same way. Being born at the right time and place is a lot in its way like being a politician. Better hope it's a time that will make you look good. Only with being born your term is life. By the math, i have lived all but the first six years of my life in a time of stagnation and then followed by decline, now steep. We managed to paper it over for 50 years with fiat currency and other detached from the real world financial instruments and especially by living more and more on cheap credit. That classically only works so long, and in fact, around 50 years is typical through the ages. Then the real costs start coming in, reality takes hold. One of the things i am most grateful for today is that i don't have children to worry about.

� Edward Abbey

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 673
If the price of factory ammo is becoming an expensive issue, why not buy the components and have a friend handload some for you?
I think what stops alot of people from doing just that is they don't trust handloaded ammo for their rifles.
Or just get a kit. I got a basic low-tech Lee kit for about $200 as i recall back a dozen years ago and stocked up well on all the components. It's paid off and it's not difficult.

� Edward Abbey

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by pete53

We are seeing more product on the shelves. I believe that we have turned the corner. This certainly isn't the first shortage.

I suppose the big question is where prices will land, and how long it will take for them to get there.

Keep smiling. It can be difficult, but you have to resist being a negative Nellie like so many others. smile

Keep smiling is great advice. Laughing, even better. Being positive is a good idea unless you are lying to yourself. Better to just be objective. A person's attitude having zero effect on things like ammo prices.

� Edward Abbey

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All the smiling in the world isn't helping me find Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR in 300 Win Mag, I even tried praying, still cant find any anywhere in Canada. lol

Plus they are now $180.00 a box and people ask me why I don't shoot more.

KB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All the smiling in the world isn't helping me find Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR in 300 Win Mag, I even tried praying, still cant find any anywhere in Canada. lol

Haha! I just this past week bought a '61 vintage Savage 99 F (i love 99's) in .308 for the big woods out of noting this was consistently the only calibre suitable for larger game that had remained readily available and reasonable in price (by the standards of now.) They tell me it's because this is the NATO round and is prioritised. At any rate, a person must strategize. I already handload and packed away a boatload of components back with the shocks of 2008, but i reckon this rifle should grant me a little more immunity to those larger circumstances i can't smile or pray away.

� Edward Abbey

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Haha! I just this past week bought a '61 vintage Savage 99 F (i love 99's) in .308 for the big woods out of noting this was consistently the only calibre suitable for larger game that had remained readily available and reasonable in price (by the standards of now.) They tell me it's because this is the NATO round and is prioritised. At any rate, a person must strategize. I already handload and packed away a boatload of components back with the shocks of 2008, but i reckon this rifle should grant me a little more immunity to those larger circumstances i can't smile or pray away.

Hi again gulo, I believe that the old, tried, tested and true .30 cal is the best hunting round of all time. From the .30-30 to the .338 Lapua nothing beats the .30 cal

One thing that I find interesting since my favorite hunting rifle is my 1917 .30-06 is how successfully it was used in WWI and WWII. I simply cant not imagine how any human being survived after being shot with one of them rounds.

The round I use in my P17 has always been the Winchester SuperX Power Point in 180 grain. Not only are they typically readily available, they are very accurate and remarkably deadly even at longer ranges.

I don't need a fancy caliber with hard to get bullets, just want a bullet that I can rely on to fill my freezer. Any .30 cal works for me.

Have a great evening.

KB

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Hi again gulo, I believe that the old, tried, tested and true .30 cal is the best hunting round of all time. From the .30-30 to the .338 Lapua nothing beats the .30 cal

One thing that I find interesting since my favorite hunting rifle is my 1917 .30-06 is how successfully it was used in WWI and WWII. I simply cant not imagine how any human being survived after being shot with one of them rounds.

The round I use in my P17 has always been the Winchester SuperX Power Point in 180 grain. Not only are they typically readily available, they are very accurate and remarkably deadly even at longer ranges.

I don't need a fancy caliber with hard to get bullets, just want a bullet that I can rely on to fill my freezer. Any .30 cal works for me.

Have a great evening.

I don't think there's any debate, no, that the medium bores are most versatile. Must mention as well the .375 H&H, said by some professionals of great experience to be the most versatile round ever.

I expect human beings survived ought-six wounds on account of it being full-metal-jacket bullets. Punched a little hole right through. Not like the minie-ball of the Civil War which took your whole arm (or top of head) off.

� Edward Abbey

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking that i. WWI and WWII they were using the same Power Points I use.

One of them bullets on humans will also take a limb or worse a head off

KB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,621
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.