Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
.460 wby without the brake installed?

How bad?

Did you get scoped?

Pass out?

Die?

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My .378 came from the factory without a brake installed. It’d get your attention from the bench, but it really wasn’t that bad at all. My .416 and .460 both had factory brakes on em’ and neither of them was as harsh from the bench as that .378…which, again…wasn’t really bad at all. All Mark V’s and very accurate rifles.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes. Attention needs to be paid to keep from getting hurt but it’s survivable.

One of my best friends has killed elephants, buffalo, hippo, and a bunch of Kodiak bears with his 460 and it doesn’t have a brake.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Ruger RSM (rechambered 458 Lott) in a McMillan (because it broke the factory stock when it was a Lott). No break. It was not a fun gun to shoot. Have a video of my buddy shooting it off the bench. Probably a contributing factor to my chiropractor bills.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not a 460 wby.

Fired an iron sighted 458 win mag. No brake.

It was by no means pleasant, but not as bad as a 45/70 in a contender

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fired a 470 nitro double rifle with full loads. It got my attention!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies

Reason I am asking is that I have the opportunity to get one for a reasonable price

Its a Weatherby DGR.

Don't know how old it is, it doesn't have the tan stock the new ones have. Its all black.

I have shot a .458 win mag a few times and didn't get scoped.

Shot a .378 once, that was worse.

Have absolutely no need for a .460 but hell, when it comes down to it, need has nothing to do with it.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did, more of a push than a kick...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I shot a friends .378 Weatherby a while back.

Standing, offhand, no scope, no brake. Actually didn't think it was too bad.

Remember thinking it might make a pretty good elk rifle.

A .460 w/o a brake might be a step up, but probably doable.

Buy it!

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
LNo but something a bit larger. I was coming back from Greenwood MS to my home in Carroll Co. Just before my turnoff, I noticed a pickup pulling a large trailer parked at the chained entrance gate to an abandoned gavel pit. On the trailer was a 3” rifled Civil War cannon and cassion. I pulled behind the guy and asked about his choice of weapon. Seems like he bought the barrel from Dixie Gun Works and had a old timey blacksmith make the carriage and cassion for him and he was awaiting some local historians and reenactors to open the gate and they were going to fire it for the first time. He invited me to come and watch and participate. He used a pound of black powder for each round (made of cast zinc if remember). The cassion containing the black power and, the swabs or mops, the pendulum brass sight, and all accrouments were there. The local historian explained the procedures and safety rules. Just like Gods and Generals movie. Lots of smoke and surprisingly accurate. 3 rounds could be covered by a paper plate at multiple football fields . We could only shot bout 800 yards maximum. And I did get to fire 1 round. Great time and I learned much. Very expensive hobby tho.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, I’ve shot big bores since my teens. My second centerfire rifle growing up was a 458 win mag. 458s 500 a-sq 577s . I want very little to do with them now.

Originally Posted by WYcoyote

Buy it!
A 378 wby would make a very $hitty elk rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
3 rounds. Shop I worked at had a policy to fire 3 rounds after inspection on any used gun. It didn't have a scope which I'm sure saved me. Worst ever was a .416, felt like it was trying to jump out of my hands.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What most people don’t seem understand is these are not bench rifles. You shoot them offhand. Want to sight it in. Put it in a lead sled or something similar. Most I can get out of my .500NE in one session is 10 shots. Full loads offhand. I would never dream of shooting it off the bench.

Offhand, lean into them and let them rock you back.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Some years ago when I was able to go to a range
fairly often, there was an executive type man
that came by every week ( from his office I'm assuming)
in his dress shirt and tie and slacks and wingtips,
and he'd bring some big something out to shoot.
He'd put on a vest with a thick pad, and whatever it
was the rounds were like big okra pods and IIRC it
held like three. He'd load that cannon up at the 50
and made hisself ready and would would empty
it while standing faster than most any bolt shooter I've
ever seen. His group was always about the diameter
of an average coffee cup. Going on some dangerous
game safari to aff rah kuh IIRC.
If there was anybody that could cut the mustard,
I'd have put money on him

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got a 378, 416, and 460 Weatherby. It's no big deal shooting any of them un-braked off-hand or sitting.
On the bench, they will light you up. I've never been hit by the scope on any of them, but the front sling swivel lug will come back and bust you hand big time.
I ended up removing the sling swivel studs from all of them. There is a reason most big guns have the sling attachment point on the barrel, not the stock.

The 460 is actually the most pleasant of the three because it weighs quite a bit more. The barrel is extremely heavy.

The worst recoiling gun I own, is a 450 Nitro Ruger #1 that only weighs 7.5 pounds. Even off-hand, about 3 shots is all a person can take.
Of course it's not loaded with reduced pressure double gun ammo, it's running loads over 50k. Fires 500 grain bullets over 2400 fps and 300's at 3,000+. That's faster than a 458 Lott.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Last edited by TonyRumore; 01/22/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I have from the bench and it kicked like a mule. My hunting rifle is a .375 Ruger and it is much more enjoyable to shoot, in fact I love it.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by smallfry
Yes, I’ve shot big bores since my teens. My second centerfire rifle growing up was a 458 win mag. 458s 500 a-sq 577s . I want very little to do with them now.

Originally Posted by WYcoyote

Buy it!
A 378 wby would make a very $hitty elk rifle.

Why is that? It would certainly put one down with authority. I’ve used it’s little brother, a 375 H&H, to do the job.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Hell no

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read someplace that the guys who sight in and regulate the big ones for the bespoke makers in Britain do so from a standing rest, so they can roll with the recoil.

A few years back I scored a very nice Number 1 .45/70, but soon found out that it was more fun than I wanted from the bench, even with relatively light loads. I shoot the occasion shotgun slug, but limit the number of shots. Old bodies take longer to recover.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
.460 is too expensive to enjoy...

I love WM...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.