Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Reloading for a new 45-70 Henry Big Boy. With today's situation finding components, I cannot find the exact list of brass, primers, bullets etc for loads I want to load. What is a good rule of thumb when substituting brass and bullets? Same weight bullets but different makers. Start at minimum, 10% etc. On some loads, 10% would place the load below the starting load. Brass is Star Line vice Remington or Winchester. Bullets are Hornaday vice Sierra. In the past I have used different brass and primers with other loads with no issues. Not trying to get max loads, just good ones. Curious what the experts say.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Why do you guys insist on not following book load data? Using a Hornady bullet now, pull out the ol Hornady load manual. This stuff isn't hard, but you always seem to want to cut the wrong corners.. To each their own, but sometimes this schidt is ridiculous.. As for switching components, you switch something like a primer or different lot or brand of brass, work up a new load. Do yourself a favor and use the bullet manufactures load data. That is always the safe bet..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The Hornaday and Sierra loading manuals lists powders I do not have or can find.. Yes its simple, if things were available. So I guess you have never varied from published loads? For now I will stick to loads that I have the combo's for, perhaps things will come available eventually.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
If you don't try---you don't learn!

I do it all the time, just don't try it with max loads!

Hip

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
All the manufacturers have manuals, books or online.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If you are loading a 300 grain bullet in a 45/70, in a modern rifle, mix and match; it won't matter. This is a pretty forgiving combo. There may be some capacity differences with brass, but it won't be life-threatening. Load in the middle of the list, and you'll be fine. Check with the chronograph to see any differences. GD

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Why do you guys insist on not following book load data? Using a Hornady bullet now, pull out the ol Hornady load manual. This stuff isn't hard, but you always seem to want to cut the wrong corners.. To each their own, but sometimes this schidt is ridiculous.. As for switching components, you switch something like a primer or different lot or brand of brass, work up a new load. Do yourself a favor and use the bullet manufactures load data. That is always the safe bet..
I can honestly say that a large portion of the components you see here on the campfire and modern reloading books are NEVER to be found on the shelf in the rural west. Once a year, I go to Reno, 6 hour drive, for a gunshow, hit a few stores, and there you will see the new stuff, limit one per customer, so why buy it if it can't be replaced? Online order? Buy something new to try, let's say it works for you, for the 1 pound test you are out shipping and hazmat...60 bucks maybe? If it works, then you try to order an 8#...nope, unobtainium. So I can see why guys deviate from the published beaten path of loading data. It's not a quest for danger and thrills...it's necessity. Perhaps it is just me, but I see an unholy alliance between Hornady and Hodgdon, and they are narrowing data choices and pushing new stuff that is just not to be found outside big cities.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
If you are loading a 300 grain bullet in a 45/70, in a modern rifle, mix and match; it won't matter. This is a pretty forgiving combo. There may be some capacity differences with brass, but it won't be life-threatening. Load in the middle of the list, and you'll be fine. Check with the chronograph to see any differences. GD

Stop it. You're scaring BSA.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Simple solution to the bullet scarcity problem: cast your own. It's one of a handful of cartridges seemingly custom made for shooting cast bullets, probably because it came into existence when that's all there was. Once you've determined which bullet and alloy works best in your gun you'll never be without an unlimited supply of projectiles, as long as there's scrap lead in our midst. That leaves just powder and primers to stymie you.

Molds and casting equipment aren't cheap, but once "settled in" with what you need, a setup will last forever. At least it'll eliminate being at the mercy of The Big Bullet Companies.

As for brass differences, you won't notice any significant changes by mixing brands unless you're playing at the ragged edge of maximum loads. Ditto primers. The differences are slight.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/22/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the manuals as a "guideline", not as the words of Jesus Christ himself! The difference between Hornady, Sierra, Nosler ... bullets is negligible as long as they are the same weight. Differences between same powder/different lots is negligible, unless you are comparing 4198 from the '60's to 4198 of today. Since the '60's, IMR has changed hands at least 3 times and moved at least 3 times - formulas may have varied between owners and manufacturing processes.
BSA is a bit anal retentive. Probably worked in a lab all his life where these things mattered. Don't sweat it, load and shoot.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have most all reloading manuals. Most current. 4198 IMR or H would be preferred but cannot find any. RL-7 next, again Unobtanium. Looking at my manuals, perhaps I will use the Lee load data, no particular brass, no particular primer, and just a 300g jacketed bullet. Published data, so I guess then a warm and fuzzy...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sometimes we're our own worst enemies when it comes to overthinking some of this stuff. If the goal is to dominate the next benchrest competition with the Henry Big Bore then anal attention to the minutiae is paramount. Otherwise, just have fun with it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm seeing scads of powder on the shelves here in Maryland now, in a blue state not known as a hotbed of gun-friendliness. I can't but think that the powder situation in general is improving, based on that observation. Primers remain a sticking point though. .45-70 brass is seemingly everywhere, I see it all the time in classifieds around the Internet - buy a couple hundred of one make and forget about that variable.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Powder Valley currently has 4198 in stock.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes in stock, put one in the "cart" to see what the cost would be. About $87 with shipping and hazmat fees.. Dang that is a bunch for 1 pound. Going to try a trade in a local forum, have some primers and other powders that are surplus to me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, that's a tough bite. I would say "just buy 4 or 5 pounds to amortize the hazmat and shipping fees" but I won't because frankly I can't afford that kind of money a lot of the time either. It's a f*cked up time we live in.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MikeS

laugh laugh laugh

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Reloading for a new 45-70 Henry Big Boy. With today's situation finding components, I cannot find the exact list of brass, primers, bullets etc for loads I want to load. What is a good rule of thumb when substituting brass and bullets? Same weight bullets but different makers. Start at minimum, 10% etc. On some loads, 10% would place the load below the starting load. Brass is Star Line vice Remington or Winchester. Bullets are Hornaday vice Sierra. In the past I have used different brass and primers with other loads with no issues. Not trying to get max loads, just good ones. Curious what the experts say.

Find the powder that is closest in burn rate to the powder you have on hand, using the Hornady manual.

Find the bullet that is of similar design (jacketed bullet to jacketed bullet, copper bullet to copper bullet, etc) and same weight as the bullet you're using and use that load data for your Hornady bullet.

Have you checked the powder manufacturers load data? In recent times I use their data when they are using the same or similar bullets as often as bullet manufacturers data.

What bullet, bullet weight, brass, and powder do you have on hand that may be appropriate?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by MikeS

Sorry. GD

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Let the chronograph be your guide. If you can’t find the exact case/powder/bullet/primer combo listed for what you have, use load data utilizing as many of the components as you are using with the closest burning rate powder you can find, start low, and watch the chronograph.

Been handloading for over thirty years, only occasionally have I found load data listed for an exact primer/case/powder/bullet combo I was using, and of course, that rarely matches up to my results exactly.

Sometimes you’ll find you get similar velocities with a grain or two less powder than “book”, sometimes the opposite is true.

That’s why they list starting loads, and not just one single load.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (907brass, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 22 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.