Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is it practical to float the koyukuk River from Coldfoot to Bettles? Is there enough water to float a raft downstream from Coldfoot? Is it scenic? Is the fishing good?

Can you catch a bus ride from Fairbanks to Coldfoot?

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Koyukuk is pretty skinny at Wiseman, water levels can vary. Pretty good book that discusses the Koyukuk is "Shadows on the Koyukuk".
By Jim Rearden and Sydney Huntington.

Bus to Coldfoot, hmmm, doubtful, but at least one tour company runs the Dalton and I believe owns the Truckstop at Coldfoot and the River camp.
I would start with them.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yep its a nice float from cold foot down. Pretty mellow. It can get skinny around Wiseman and Coldfoot but rafts shouldn't be an issue. Fishing isn't great but you'd probably catch a grayling or two. Maybe a pike at mouths of sloughs. Its fairy scenic especially through the canyon but you'd be just south of the mountains.

A better option for a scenic float in that area would be to spend a little extra money and have Coyote Air fly you from Coldfoot to the North Fork and float to Bettles. Its a quick flight. Better call them quick cause they may already be booked for the season.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would think there are also Dollies up that way!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bettles would be a good option, keep in mind you have to get flown there. Potentially fly out of Coldfoot. Bring plenty of bug dope!

IC B2

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnn
Bettles would be a good option, keep in mind you have to get flown there. Potentially fly out of Coldfoot. Bring plenty of bug dope!

I was thinking the other way around. Rent a raft in Fairbanks, take a bus to Coldfoot, float/raft down to Bettles and take the mail plane back to Fairbanks.

What company operates the mail plane to/from Bettles?

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trapperJ
A better option for a scenic float in that area would be to spend a little extra money and have Coyote Air fly you from Coldfoot to the North Fork and float to Bettles. Its a quick flight. Better call them quick cause they may already be booked for the season.

Trying to avoid the cost of the float plane.

Is there an AC store in Bettles?

N
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
N
There is several tour company's that run to Coldfoot. Coldfoot camp also has a van that goes back and forth.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by trapperJ

Trying to avoid the cost of the float plane.

Is there an AC store in Bettles?

Understand on avoiding the bush plane cost. If the cost difference would mean no trip at all then I'd definitely just float the Middle fork. Its such a quick flight to the north fork that it would be worth the extra money if you can swing it.

No AC store in Bettles. BRA and the Lodge carry a few basic store items. Wrights is the commuter flight company that services Bettles. They fly to Coldfoot as well.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by johnn

I was thinking the other way around. Rent a raft in Fairbanks, take a bus to Coldfoot, float/raft down to Bettles and take the mail plane back to Fairbanks.

What company operates the mail plane to/from Bettles?
Well heck, thats practically a day trip, I thought you were headed to Galena!

Not sure who hauls the mail to Bettles/Coldfoot? Check with Wrights, if not them, they would know.

(answerd b4 i read all the replies)

Last edited by johnn; 01/23/23.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KC,

I'd recommend contacting Larry Bartlett of Pristine Ventures.

Larry sells and rents all sorts of inflatables and is very familiar with most Alaskan Rivers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.