Print Thread
Hop To
#18043917 01/22/23
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
If anyone is interested Redding Auction Service has a MHG gun with JTC letter in the 12 February auction.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, I saw that in the sale bill. Wonder whose it was. I'm going up to Redding's in two weeks with a local buddy who's taking a bunch of guns to sell there. Maybe I can sneak a peek at it.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/22/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack
If anyone is interested Redding Auction Service has a MHG gun with JTC letter in the 12 February auction.
Too many acronyms Jack. Spell it out for a new guy?

Thanks.

LHS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the nicer ones I've seen, complete with hood, sling, bayonet (crack in left grip) & sheath. It has rack #3 butt plate but I don't know that that has anything to do with who, or his position in the group, the rifle went to. The butt plates were stamped with a rack number but they were randomly mated to a rifle. The 1st group produceed has rack numbers to around 500 with three shipments going out, 12/29, 12/30 and 12/31/1914. It should bring good money.

Someone please post the sell price when over.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by LHS905
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Too many acronyms Jack. Spell it out for a new guy?

Thanks.

LHS

Sorry
Montreal Home Guard…..Savage 1899 Musket
JTC…..John T Callahan, Savage Historian

Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Jack. Just spent an hour perusing the auction listing. It's a good thing I don't live on the east coast if those type of listings are a regular occurrence! Whew!

LHS

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Redding's does auctions of that size and scope around once a month, sometimes twice. I've been going to them for years. Very well run organization.

Like any auction, know your subject matter and keep reign on your enthusiasm - you can get burned as easily as you can score a deal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw that flyer and thought back to my recent experience when I entered the 99 world, and am reminded how very lucky I am with the rifle that I got. Shotgun too-I picked up a nice used Winchester Model 42. That auction posted 1 not so good photo per firearm, plus had to pay a 10% buyer premium. I was lucky to have a friend look the guns over, but I could have made a very bad purchase. It was my learning experience.

LHS

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I see that The Letter was addressed to Jim Goergen, a dealer of note. Any idea who owned it between then and now?

I wonder too if Joe Salter ever sold the MHG that he'd been flogging for years?

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/23/23.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Redding's does auctions of that size and scope around once a month, sometimes twice. I've been going to them for years. Very well run organization.

Like any auction, know your subject matter and keep reign on your enthusiasm - you can get burned as easily as you can score a deal.
Gary, as always good advice, looked at couple, then went back to go over, non savage butt plate, odd looking front sights on a couple, had noted a couple on list, now thats marked off. Ken

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok. I was at Redding's today and while Pugs was consigning some guns for them to sell, I wandered around looking at stuff. Since I didn't see the MHG I inquired about it. Those guys there are some of the most helpful folks you'll meet. The kid (anybody under 30 is a kid to me anymore!) allowed as how "I think I know which one you're talking about, let me go find the key to the vault." Five minutes later I was holding the gun. It's one of the nicest WWI-era M1899's I ever saw, let alone an MHG. Not perfect mind you, it has its share of safe dings. Metal finish is factory fresh looking - receiver, barrel, stock furniture, etc. has bright vibrant bluing. The case colors on the lever are probably 70-80%, maybe better, I'll err on the conservative side. The bayonet looks as sweet as the gun, and the leather sheath is great - no breaks, cracks, tears, etc., and the stitching is sound. All in all the rifle looks like it was made 50 or 60 years later than when it actually was. "If I were a rich man....!"

What I'm pretty sure is the original sling looks like a typical 108 year old leather sling. Intact but not great condition, I wouldn't trust it to support the rifle on my shoulder.

The "kid" listened eagerly while I filled him in on the history of these guns. Maybe there's hope for Millenials after all.

It shoots good too. We took it out back and ripped a box of shells through it. Shot a little high and right. Kidding!!! (But I bet a couple hearts out there skipped a beat!)

There's two 1899H's coming up also, both I saw today were .22 HiPowers. One had the the most gawdawful nice piece of crotch walnut for a butt stock. Had to have been a special order, who knows?

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/02/23.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The catalogs in the 1899H era said the 1899H wasn't available with high grade wood. I have one and I think Don has one. "With Savage never say never"

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Can I ask what lot# the MHG is? I couldn't find it but that maybe the key presser's fault

Johno

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Lot 60 Johno

Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks mate I will enjoy viewing its as close as I will get to one

Johno

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Spiegel (salesman sample) lets hear an educated guess how much this one will make, I ask because there is one in an auction down here and it has generated little interest and i'm trying really hard to be a good lad lol

That is a great example of the MHG, deep pockets on this one boys

Johno

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Johno, I think those SS’s fall through the cracks some times. People have no idea what they are. I got mine at a farm auction with a lot of guns. The auctioneer prattled on about nice off brand rifles. When he got to the SS, he held it up and said, here’s the deer gun you were looking for. I got it fro $700.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I like that one with the fancy wood. If someone would buy my RH bolt guns, I'd be a bidder.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 20 invisible), 1,821 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.