R
RHClark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by RHClark
My mom got married again a couple years ago. My father is still alive, but I might have spoken to him twice for a couple minuets in the last 4 years. He was an adulterer all my life, never physically abusive but very mentally abusive and never had time for his kids. I don't hate him, but I realized a long time ago that he always had a plan to use me in some way if I ever had any contact with him.

Anyway, Mom's new husband keeps giving me nice stuff, knives, hunting equipment, and just being nice in general. I don't really know how to deal with it. I'm always looking for his angle, and it pisses me off to think that way when he has been nothing but nice.

I'm not in the same boat as you, but I sorta semi understand what you mean.

I grew up in an awesome nuclear family. Mom was stay at home and looked after me and my brother, dad spent 22 years in the military. Us kids were raised to work hard, and help deserving folks where we could.

My pseudo father and mother in law have a similar upbringing. Both came from a normal nuclear family, but the pseudo father in law came from a ROUGH (read that to mean VERY VERY BAD circumstances) place in his home state. He worked to obtain the status he has now a well renowned neurosurgeon.

He and his wife are wonderful people. They are very outgoing and loving, and gift us unprompted at times. I don't know what to do with that. I'm grateful, but I feel like I'm undeserving because I didn't work for it. I've never had a handout, and the things they do for us feel like handouts.

It's a weird feeling, and I feel like I am ungrateful because I didn't earn what they sometimes do for us. It makes them happy to do things for and with us, but knowing that, it is still a strange thing to me.

Probably not a great comfort to you, but that's all I've got. In the spirit of the Fire, GFY and know that you aren't alone.

That's real close to how I feel about it. I mean I like the guy and I'm always nice, but when he just pulls out a new Case knife or something and tells me it's mine, it's a strange feeling, not really knowing him very well. I want to be grateful, but I keep looking for the catch and it's that feeling that I don't like. I mean I don't feel that way when my kids or wife does something for me. I can rationalize that the way my own father treated me as a kid has made me suspicious, but I would have never before said I was a suspicious or untrusting person.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Maybe you're like the kid he never had and is making up for lost time, if it makes him happy just roll with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are coming across as a bum.

You sound like the grand kids, never a thank you for the shotguns, ammunition, knives, axes, hunting equipment. However they never give them back.

Just changed our will to have all my gun sold. Ammunition to go with the guns. A few of the grand kids, were wanting to know why they would not be getting any. I just let them know that the buyers would like them and take care of them.

My nieces and nephews were a better fit for the rifles that i gave them while they were growing up.

It sounds like it you did not earn it you do not appreciate it or take care of it.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
Lots of older people love giving stuff away, particularly when they think the recipient will enjoy it.

I'm just not used to it. My own dad never gave me anything that he didn't sell later without even telling me. I knew growing up that my stuff was really his. The new dad is actually texting me pictures of deer and guns he just bought. It just feels weird to suddenly have a dad at 54 years old. It bothers me to find out how fugged up my childhood really was.

Fuqk the old man, he can piss off and die. don't compare the new guy to him, put that aside and embrace a new friendship.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Lots of older people love giving stuff away, particularly when they think the recipient will enjoy it.

I'm just not used to it. My own dad never gave me anything that he didn't sell later without even telling me. I knew growing up that my stuff was really his. The new dad is actually texting me pictures of deer and guns he just bought. It just feels weird to suddenly have a dad at 54 years old. It bothers me to find out how fugged up my childhood really was.

Fuqk the old man, he can piss off and die. don't compare the new guy to him, put that aside and embrace a new friendship.
This.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Bwana338
You are coming across as a bum.

You sound like the grand kids, never a thank you for the shotguns, ammunition, knives, axes, hunting equipment. However they never give them back.

Just changed our will to have all my gun sold. Ammunition to go with the guns. A few of the grand kids, were wanting to know why they would not be getting any. I just let them know that the buyers would like them and take care of them.

My nieces and nephews were a better fit for the rifles that i gave them while they were growing up.

It sounds like it you did not earn it you do not appreciate it or take care of it.

I'd guess there's more at play for your family than just a bunch of no thank you's and entitlement from the grandkids.

If RH Clark is anything like me, he happily does work for free for his deserving family, without question, and does so with a full and unexpecting heart. And does so because it is the right thing to do. And when something is given, thanks is always given.

If that is indeed the case, I fail to see how he would sound like a bum.

If receiving a gift from someone and giving thanks, but internally not feeling like you earned said gift makes you a bum, then the parameters of what makes one a bum need be chances.

I can only speak for myself and not RH Clark, that is just my opinion.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 01/22/23.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Benefit of the doubt until or unless he shows a different side…

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rong
Maybe you're like the kid he never had and is making up for lost time, if it makes him happy just roll with it.

IMO, this is a real insight. We all crave those relationships. Don't let old poison ruin a a new opportunity.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by earlybrd
My old man died 2016 him and moms parted ways when I was 17 he was still my dad I miss him every day
I’m sorry for your loss. My parents divorced when I was three. My dad was a POS and so was my stepdad. Between the two of them my mom dated a great guy that went out of his way to spend time with me and make me feel included. It had a lasting impact on my life and I’ve done same for my step kids. That’s the perspective that I was looking at it from.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Family dirt should stay in the family.......not aired here.....or so I've read somewhere......

Heartwarming family good news.....bring it on...

Sorry you and your dad didn't have a better relationship but it will never be any of my business

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Get to know your real dad and fugk the fake one you only live once

Wow - that’s terrible advice.

RH; perhaps your guard is up due to your childhood experience. But there are wonderful people in the world and it seems like you’re due to have a positive relationship with mom’s new husband.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For some people, giving gifts is the way they express themselves. It can be “thank you”, it can be “forgive me”, it can be “please don’t hate me”. It would be worth finding out what he’s trying to tell you with these gifts, and it would be meaningful for your mom’s husband to learn what the gifts mean to you.

I have a family member who remarried a fine lady whose own kids treat her like dirt and she tries to buy their affection (and prevent outright hostilities) by giving them things. When she first got to know us and we gave HER gifts, tears flowed. Gifts can be perfunctory, or they can hugely meaningful, depending on the family culture.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My dad died when I was 40. Mom remarried when I was 45. He is a super nice guy and the best thing that could happen for mom. However, I have never considered him my dad. I had 1 dad and he died. I consider him my mom's husband. I have never referred him even as my stepdad. We do however get along great.

3825 24336
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Toddly
Open up and enjoy it. He wants you to.
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
If you love and trust your mother, then trust her decisions.
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Can't fault him for your father's sins. Maybe sit down and tell him what you feel and why you're apprehensive when it comes to him. It'll air it all out and bring you closer no doubt. I guarantee he picks up on it and without explanation he's left to guess. If you know he's a good guy then you have nothing to worry about. You'll wish you had done it years ago
Originally Posted by WMR

To be truthful, it sounds like more than your childhood is fugged up. You’re both men. He’s not your new dad. He’s your mom’s new husband. How hard it it to just be nice? You’ve got no reason not to be. Who doesn’t have room for another friend?

Edited to add: If the relationship falls apart because one of you is a jerk, make sure it’s not you. 😳

RHClark, dude, you've already been given some very valuable advice, not much I can add.

I think it may be valuable for you to see a counsellor or pastor and work through your feelings about your dad and your mother's husband. Put in the work with the counsellor and your relationship with your mother's husband can only get better. Don't be afraid to enjoy a new relationship.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Speaking of that, you ain't no spring chicken and I've been admiring that 16 gauge double barrel. . .

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole

Speaking of that, you ain't no spring chicken and I've been admiring that 16 gauge double barrel. . .

You're the second person today to insinuate that I'm old.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
When I remarried 15 years ago I had no idea how to accept a woman that gave me things... helped with money/bills/vacations... and offered kindness and gratitude.

It was foreign as hell to me... every woman I had ever known was a taker... I just assumed it was all women... a DNA kinda thing.

Give and take is learned... at least for me.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well, he’s banging your mom so maybe he thinks the least he could do is give you some new toys.

Don’t read into it so much.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
My mom got married again a couple years ago. My father is still alive, but I might have spoken to him twice for a couple minuets in the last 4 years. He was an adulterer all my life, never physically abusive but very mentally abusive and never had time for his kids. I don't hate him, but I realized a long time ago that he always had a plan to use me in some way if I ever had any contact with him.

Anyway, Mom's new husband keeps giving me nice stuff, knives, hunting equipment, and just being nice in general. I don't really know how to deal with it. I'm always looking for his angle, and it pisses me off to think that way when he has been nothing but nice.

I'm not in the same boat as you, but I sorta semi understand what you mean.

I grew up in an awesome nuclear family. Mom was stay at home and looked after me and my brother, dad spent 22 years in the military. Us kids were raised to work hard, and help deserving folks where we could.

My pseudo father and mother in law have a similar upbringing. Both came from a normal nuclear family, but the pseudo father in law came from a ROUGH (read that to mean VERY VERY BAD circumstances) place in his home state. He worked to obtain the status he has now a well renowned neurosurgeon.

He and his wife are wonderful people. They are very outgoing and loving, and gift us unprompted at times. I don't know what to do with that. I'm grateful, but I feel like I'm undeserving because I didn't work for it. I've never had a handout, and the things they do for us feel like handouts.

It's a weird feeling, and I feel like I am ungrateful because I didn't earn what they sometimes do for us. It makes them happy to do things for and with us, but knowing that, it is still a strange thing to me.

Probably not a great comfort to you, but that's all I've got. In the spirit of the Fire, GFY and know that you aren't alone.

That's real close to how I feel about it. I mean I like the guy and I'm always nice, but when he just pulls out a new Case knife or something and tells me it's mine, it's a strange feeling, not really knowing him very well. I want to be grateful, but I keep looking for the catch and it's that feeling that I don't like. I mean I don't feel that way when my kids or wife does something for me. I can rationalize that the way my own father treated me as a kid has made me suspicious, but I would have never before said I was a suspicious or untrusting person.

It's understandable.
I have a hard time accepting stuff.
It's just weird to have someone just give you nice items.
Never ask for stuff, always did without until it could be acquired personally.
Very awkward if someone just hands you something.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Can't fault him for your father's sins. Maybe sit down and tell him what you feel and why you're apprehensive when it comes to him. It'll air it all out and bring you closer no doubt. I guarantee he picks up on it and without explanation he's left to guess. If you know he's a good guy then you have nothing to worry about. You'll wish you had done it years ago
This! No reason to have an elephant in the room.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 55 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.