Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sneaky bastards.

They’ll fug up my garden if not careful.

Wait til the corn sprouts… then pull em up and eat the corn kernel….

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
That 5hey do.
Had a 3 point eat all of ours the crows and terrapins didn't get.
He's currently in my freezer.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, "Doing or about to do damage". Kinda big window.
Short story...few years back our next door farmer, farm about a mile away, called and asked if my son and I would shoot a few that were raiding a field of corn that was just coming up. Said sure. Next morning we had the electronic call set up, and we were hidden with our shotguns. First birds that came in to the call were scouts, two of them...you don`t kill the scouts..they flew back to the flock..soon we had about thirty in the air over the call. We started shooting..six down..they flew off, but soon returned. ( If they don`t see you, they`ll come back) and they did, several times. When done, we had killed 15.

But crows are very smart, and that flock would not come to my call for the next 4 years...I had to resort to rifle.

Field came up, with a very large hole in the N.E. corner.

Never tried any cooked.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve had to eat crow a few times when I let my mouth overload my ass😎

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow….I was thinking about different Crows! My bad! 😁 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/19/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We use to have a local game warden who was a great guy and would help you anyway he could, not like some of the pricks. I asked him how you could tell the difference between a raven and a crow?
He said “When it hits the ground it’s a crow”. We got along just fine. He knew who the outlaws were and wouldn’t fck with you.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I sure like watching them fall

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The West Nile virus hit them very hard in this region. Used to see huge flocks, but now they seem little if any more common than ravens. I get both in my yard, though the crows are more likely to actually land on the ground and eat.

Watched a short battle between a crow and a squirrel last month. Pretty funny.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I read on GON, georgia outdoor news, some old school crow hunting tactics.

Guys would have an open lane maybe bush-hogged or path/road, they would run a mainline several feet off the ground, tie 15lb. fishing line across the road. Hang 6lb. fishing line hanging off of the main armed with a couple of treble hooks. < Multiple hanging treble hook lines ?18'' apart.
Put two of these set-ups 30 feet apart across the road, put an owl decoy and a few crows decoys between the lines. When crows flew down the lane to dive-bomb the owl the hanging treble hooks got them. You can imagine what a crow hanging mid air by its wings would do. Guy said the'd snare 5-6 crows sometimes, that would go nuts for a long time.

My cousins father in law David loved this ^^ idea. He said they put #1 coil-spring foot-hold traps on top of fence-post when calling. Put a small nail in the base of the trap so it doesn't move when a crow decides to land on it. 2-3 livies losing their minds really brings them in.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I was up in the Boone, NC area a few years back one Sunday morning. Riding around before breakfast looking for a few targets of opportunity. Was riding down a goat path and came up on a little pasture that had an old apple tree about 150 yards from the road. Big old hawk was sitting in it with about 30 crows sitting in branches all around and dive bombing him. Class 5 bird war.

Had an old TC Contender carbine in .22 Hornet then and started working on them. First one I shot was jumping just as I hit him and it took a wing off. He hit the ground screaming bloody hell which infuriated the other bastids even more. Shot another and started laughing because that hawk would watch the crow fall and hit the ground and then look at me as if to say "hurry up".

Got 17 in about 4 minutes before I ran out of cartridges. Old hawk was still sitting there when I eased off.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Guys would have an open lane maybe bush-hogged or path/road, they would run a mainline several feet off the ground, tie 15lb. fishing line across the road. Hang 6lb. fishing line hanging off of the main armed with a couple of treble hooks. < Multiple hanging treble hook lines ?18'' apart.
Put two of these set-ups 30 feet apart across the road, put an owl decoy and a few crows decoys between the lines. When crows flew down the lane to dive-bomb the owl the hanging treble hooks got them. You can imagine what a crow hanging mid air by its wings would do. Guy said the'd snare 5-6 crows sometimes, that would go nuts for a long time.

My cousins father in law David loved this ^^ idea. He said they put #1 coil-spring foot-hold traps on top of fence-post when calling. Put a small nail in the base of the trap so it doesn't move when a crow decides to land on it. 2-3 livies losing their minds really brings them in.
I like that idea. Treble hooks hanging off a barbed wire fence baited with venison catch all kind of things.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a season here, Jan.4, until Feb.28 this year. But, for me crows are a target of opportunity, as they are destructive to certain crops.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

I like that idea. Treble hooks hanging off a barbed wire fence baited with venison catch all kind of things.

We catch coyotes that way, steel leaders

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
PA has a season. One of the few things we can hunt on Sundays.
Very smart birds. When I was a teenage I shot them with a rifle. I say camouflaged in a fence row and waited as they landed to pull up sprouting corn. Shoot one, don't move and wait fir them to return. If you cripple one you are done.
I used to shoot them while duck hunting. The buggers would swarm the cecoys. Shoot one and they leave.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

wow that is really dumb and dangerous. you should leave the fire over that comment. lol

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
We used to hunt them here in Maryland. There is still a season on the books. It was a lot of fun but we had to move around a lot. The birds are smart and hunting different farm that are close together will not work. you need lots of space between hunting locals to be sucessful.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
When they show up here in the spring in large flocks seems to be the best time. Early morning (daybreak) with a dozen decoys and call from a blind. The wounded birds seem to attact more when they are squawking and flopping around but the dead birds need to be laid right side up because a dead bird laying on it's back is a warning to any passers by. Sometimes an owl decoy works if set up properly with the crow decoys. Once the birds pair up hunting is more difficult and you have to move your setup around a lot more but when the young birds start flying the fun begins again. I love crow hunting !!

I thought growing old would take longer.
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Sneaky bastards.

They’ll fug up my garden if not careful.

Wait til the corn sprouts… then pull em up and eat the corn kernel….

I’ve had them do me that way too, tends to make a person angry

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by vmax204
When they show up here in the spring in large flocks seems to be the best time. Early morning (daybreak) with a dozen decoys and call from a blind. The wounded birds seem to attact more when they are squawking and flopping around but the dead birds need to be laid right side up because a dead bird laying on it's back is a warning to any passers by. Sometimes an owl decoy works if set up properly with the crow decoys. Once the birds pair up hunting is more difficult and you have to move your setup around a lot more but when the young birds start flying the fun begins again. I love crow hunting !!

I dinged one, tied a string on his leg, crows came back again and again.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hunted them here in North Cackalacky. FIL and I would take a fishing weight and about 100' of monofilament and tie it to an Owl decoy. The same with three Crow decoys. Throw weight up through the tree limbs and set up a "fight" scene. Turn on the caller and usually have a flurry of action til' you missed.
After several hunts like this they were so trained, that when the caller was turned on they would go the other way.

If they are raiding your garden, kill one and hang it by a leg so it's easy to see it's dead. Most will stay away if they see that.

Very smart birds.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 65 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,632
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.