-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 31 32
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We need a religion and politics sub forum.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I struggle with faith every day. I want there to be a god but my common sense side reminds me organized religion is the biggest farce ever created by mankind. Churches simply suck and most members are cliquish to say the least. Every religion believes it is their way or the highway.
If there is one god and perfect religion who is to say which one it is?

My God is still living, those others are dead.

And this attitude is the problem right here folks.

People smugly spouting bullshit they cannot back up.

Where is Jesus’s body?
Surely the Pharisee ,Sadducee,and Romans didn’t want a story about resurrection . Jesus’s body would have proven once and for all the resurrection never happened. And it would have all ended right there.
But they couldn’t find the body because HE IS RISEN!
The apostles chose death rather than denounce Jesus.

One day you or a family member dear to you will be in need. I’ll bet you hit your knees and pray then....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I struggle with faith every day. I want there to be a god but my common sense side reminds me organized religion is the biggest farce ever created by mankind. Churches simply suck and most members are cliquish to say the least. Every religion believes it is their way or the highway.
If there is one god and perfect religion who is to say which one it is?

My God is still living, those others are dead.

And this attitude is the problem right here folks.

People smugly spouting bullshit they cannot back up.

JG is right

If you’re a non believer that’s fine by me, but even non believers ought to understand that a church that has nothing they believe enough to speak clearly and boldly is no church at all.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll disagree about evil. Billy Grahm. [Linked Image from quotes.thefamouspeople.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bludog
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
In Western culture, at least, kids learn to read by the third grade. Said kid can pick up any encyclopedea ( in our day), or keyboard and google up the physical laws of the Universe, and Natural History of the Earth.

People today do not need to believe the sun is Apollo racing through the sky on his chariot, or that Zeus expresses his anger through thunder.

Yeah, and all those physical laws, just happened by some freak great lucky chance! Tell me which takes the greater faith!

Great question. I have not heard an answer to this yet.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I’ll give them credit though, nothing like creating an imaginary person with made up rules telling people what they can or can not do.

Something caused all of this to happen. Self aware beings made out of meat didn't just spontaneously erupt up out a barren rock spinning through the universe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
We need a religion and politics sub forum.

Why? At a campfire people talk about all kinds of subjects. Don't open religion or political threads and you won't have to make a silly post.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I’ll give them credit though, nothing like creating an imaginary person with made up rules telling people what they can or can not do.

Something caused all of this to happen. Self aware beings made out of meat didn't just spontaneously erupt up out a barren rock spinning through the universe.

One word. Evolution. The earth is an estimated 3 billion years old. Plenty of time for things to evolve or for other civilizations to drop off stuff to watch it grow and evolve.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Evil lurks in the heart of every man. Education is the key to man overcoming that evil. Religion is ONE form of education which can do so.

A human can't educate himself enough to not be human. Religion can educate a man on what his human failings are and it can encourage him to minimize them to the extent possible.

But no form education can fix the human condition.

It's a heady subject that takes a bit of pondering. It makes sense to an extent once one realizes that his human brain isn't producing his consciousness.

Very many people have inadvertently discovered that their consciousness exists independently of their brain.

They never think about things the same afterwards.
We will have to agree to disagree. I know a dog or a horse or a cow have no conciousness. Not so sure about porpois, whales, and elephants.

I know a human develops a conscience as he matures after birth. I know that conscience fades away to nothingness and is no more as soon as electrons quit flowing in the brain.

You believe otherwise. That's okay. I would not try to convince you otherwise. The attempt would be to no avail anyway.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by bludog
In Western culture, at least, kids learn to read by the third grade. Said kid can pick up any encyclopedea ( in our day), or keyboard and google up the physical laws of the Universe, and Natural History of the Earth.

People today do not need to believe the sun is Apollo racing through the sky on his chariot, or that Zeus expresses his anger through thunder.

Yeah, and all those physical laws, just happened by some freak great lucky chance! Tell me which takes the greater faith!

Great question. I have not heard an answer to this yet.
No more mysterious than "Where did God come from?"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord

Women preachers

Paul was an advocate of female church leaders.
He praised Priscilla and Lydia as leaders in the early church.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
Because people are waking up and realizing all religions are a hoax/cult.

And everyone believes their religion is right one. .....

....But the magic in bible is real! …..

Classic example is that 'real' Xtians don't believe
angel Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith...
but they believe their own Bible claims.

Thomas Jefferson, Issac Newton and Einstein
called bullschit on Bible miracle claims.

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus,
by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will
be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the
brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason
and freedom of thought in these United States will do away
all this artificial scaffolding..".

{Jefferson letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823}

Newton was heretical in his beliefs , dismissing
the trinity and immortal soul among other things.
He would have lost his fellowship at Cambridge
Trinity college had King George not intervened
granting him an exemption to becoming ordained.

Mr.Einstein penned a letter to philosopher Eric Gutkind
((1954):

“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression
and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of
honourable, but still primitive, legends which are nevertheless
pretty childish.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me, it’s always been about the way churches preach group fellowship as almost being necessary to receive God’s blessings and guidance.

As if showing up in church is a way to prove your desire and a worthiness for God’s love.

Seemed to me that only proved a few things. Either someone enjoys being part of a congregation and wants to worship in a group. Or they want to be seen by others as a good Christian and use their attendance as proof of their commitment to Christ….Translation: Some are good people. Some pose as good Christians for show and tell out of personal pride.

People who find benefit in regularly attending a church, is cool. I’ve preferred to keep my spirituality between myself and God.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just left a church after four years. It was a country club - nor a church. A nice place to make friends, eat lunch together and use the church gym together for basketball and badminton.

I have been in church all my life and will eventually find another church.

It was all about checking the boxes in regard to behavior, but totally ignoring the condition of the heart.

The church I just left has been dwindling in size due to conflict after conflict.

The members wonder why their teenage kids won’t attend the church - but never do any self examination.

Within the church, there are threats of lawsuits if certain people are selected for leadership roles.

I sat in a meeting of the leadership board - it was as if I were matching Matthew 23 (Jesus criticizes the Pharisees) unfold in front of me. Some of the board members were the biggest Pharisees you could imagine. They criticized people for not volunteering to serve with children so that a vacation Bible school could be held. Yet they themselves were unwilling to serve in VBS (they are retired - they have time). The board wanted to be standing in the pulpit any time communion was taken so that they could be publicly recognized. The board members wanted to be the ones standing in the pulpit to pray and have their name printed in the church bulletin.

There is a 3-year still-unresolved major fight over allowing a start up church (of the same denomination) use the building on Saturdays - because they were a different ethnicity (FYI - the ethnicity of the main church is only 2-3% Caucasian; the start-up church was Syrian Christians; I was one of only 5 caucasians in the church). Four board members have left the church, the missions director left the church and three pastors left the church because this request was refused and they themselves were attacked and slandered.

Board members made room deals made with the previous pastor - “I will support your budget request if you endorse me becoming an elder in the church.”

Contentious church meetings where disagreement results in some people standing up and calling other members evil. I have been called evil by multiple people, including the board members I exposed.

Some wealthy people did not like the pastor and offered him a substantial amount of money if he would resign from his position.

The denomination has finally stepped in and taken over governance of this church. Of course, this has brought threats of more lawsuits.

In case you are wondering what the primary ethnicity of the church - it is a Chinese Christian church. Just not very Christian.

Are people wonder why churches are dying. And they wonder why their kids are leaving the church.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Church is not a museum of Saints, rather a hospital for sinners.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Beaver10
For me, it’s always been about the way churches preach group fellowship as almost being necessary to receive God’s blessings and guidance.

As if showing up in church is a way to prove your desire and a worthiness for God’s love.

Seemed to me that only proved a few things. Either someone enjoys being part of a congregation and wants to worship in a group. Or they want to be seen by others as a good Christian and use their attendance as proof of their commitment to Christ….Translation: Some are good people. Some pose as good Christians for show and tell out of personal pride.

People who find benefit in regularly attending a church, is cool. I’ve preferred to keep my spirituality between myself and God.

🦫
Garhering in Church serves two purposes.
1 It keeps folks available for weekly brain washing reinforcement.

2 Without such gatherings, the coffers would become barren and priests thin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
Contentious church meetings where disagreement results in some people standing up and calling other members evil. I have been called evil by multiple people, including the board members I exposed.

Disagree with the zealot theology of some CF members
and they will brand you evil.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon

That was the motto of my parents’ church.

The best church I have been in had a very strong Bible-based 12-step program. One of their favorite saying was “it’s okay to be not okay; but it is not okay to stay that way”.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon

That was the motto of my parents’ church.

The best church I have been in had a very strong Bible-based 12-step program. One of their favorite saying was “it’s okay to be not okay; but it is not okay to stay that way”.

Sounds like my church, there's more broken people on the inside than there is outside laugh

Maybe I just go to a unique church but there's no illusion of perfection amongst the pastors or the congregation. Of course there's always going to be people that put on a front or fight all the way to church on Sunday and hop out of the car saying "praise Jesus" with a smile on their face. That's just the way life is, we're all struggling. The message of Christianity isn't about perfection, it's about rebirth and forgiveness.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I was one of only 5 caucasians in the church

,...and you *still* lasted 4 years?!

Page 5 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 257 roberts, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,577
Posts18,532,148
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.