Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Inherent accuracy is an ethereal confluence of heavenly elements that cannot be explained. It is incorruptible. It is spiritual. It is pursued by those of unshakable faith and limitless devotion. The result will be a oneness that no one can attain in this life.

- Stephen Redgwell, 1984

It is funny when people quote themselves, even Canadians.

It's even funnier when someone else mentions it.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
Seems to me, considering what happens inside a case when the powder ignites, that the shape of the combustion chamber, it's size, etc. could definitely be optimized for consistency. Given that we need these things to chamber and extract, we can't fool with spherical cases or inverted cone shapes or multiple primers, but the short, fat case design providing more consistent combustion and expansion and therefore accuracy makes sense to me. I'm curious if the steep shoulder thing helps with consistent combustion or more precise headspacing?

It may help with both--but 30 degrees isn't a really "steep" shoulder. Several factory rifle rounds have shoulder angles of more than 30.

Interesting. Thanks, MD. Makes me more curious about shoulder angles/shapes regarding ignition and flow of gas - I'm guessing the most efficient design would be impractical to produce.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yea, that can be a factor. The steepest shoulder-angle of any commercial rifle cartridge I know if is 45-degrees--in the .416 Rigby. But it isn't a very wide shoulder!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd like to see a two-angled shoulder. Start out with that 45 degree from the case wall to half way to the neck then 15-20 degree to the neck. No science here - I just think that would be very inherently accurate!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by drop_point
How much better did the 6mm PPC agg out the gate? Any idea of how much improvement the top shooters improved from the switch?

I would hazard a guess (based partly on a collection of Precision Shooter magazines going back to the 1960s) that not nearly as many benchesters were shooting 6mm PPCs during the first several years after it appeared as there were .222 shooters. This was no doubt due to the .222 being so entrenched, and hence so many gunsmiths, components, handloading tools, etc. concentrating on the .222.

In any sort of technology it takes a while for relatively small advances to become more widespread. Somebody already mentioned auto racing as an example.

Maybe some amibitious benchrester should start shooting a .219 Improved Zipper. Those were evidently the real deal 75 years ago. No doubt the Zipper would shoot much smaller groups with today's barrels, bullets, powders and scopes.

Unfortunately the .222 killed it off....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scratcherky
They maybe accurate but there is no such thing as inherently accurate.
Hmm. Please let us know how you would define "inherently."
I have asked a lot of pressure-lab ballisticians whether "inherently" accurate rifle cartridges exist, in powder, bullet and ammunition factories, where everything's shot on indoor ranges. Have been doing this for over 25 years, and so far their answer has always been "yes"--followed by examples.
Would love to hear why you don't believe they're wrong.
Hmm.
INHERENT (def.): Existing as an essential constituent or characteristic; intrinsic; existing as a natural or basic part of something; permanently existing in something; inseparably attached or connected; naturally pertaining to; innate; inalienable; essential character of something; a natural or basic part of something; etc..

The definition, from several agreeing sources, speaks for itself. What you have presented is hearsay information from third parties - even though they may be reputable "pressure lab ballisticians". Those folks may be working with insufficient understanding of "inherent", or simply choosing an inaccurate term, or they may be wrong.

The concept that a particular case design (cartridge) in and of itself is inherently "accurate" as compared with others that are not - as an innate inalienable, and essential aspect - regardless of powder, primer, projectile, barrel, twist, etc., etc. - seems a stretch. Experienced comments in this thread tell a story.

It seems difficult, then, to help with your wish for explanation why others. "don't believe they are wrong" - whatever that means.

I have enjoyed and appreciated many of your posts. Thanks.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[quote=drop_point]Maybe some amibitious benchrester should start shooting a .219 Improved Zipper. Those were evidently the real deal 75 years ago. No doubt the Zipper would shoot much smaller groups with today's barrels, bullets, powders and scopes.

Even the mighty 6 PPC got killed off by the 30 BR in score shooting, it's a dog eat dog world at the cutting edge of competition.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
All this 30-06 "inherent accuracy" bs made me go out and buy another 30-06 rifle!!!! You guys ought to be ashamed of yourselves!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
On the other hand you should be ashamed of yourself for the daily garbage you spread here on the fire !!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And then there is the Weatherby double radius shoulder, which increases velocity via escaping gasses with a venturi effect. whistle Hey, who knows. It's beyond my pay grade.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by brydan
[quote=drop_point]Maybe some amibitious benchrester should start shooting a .219 Improved Zipper. Those were evidently the real deal 75 years ago. No doubt the Zipper would shoot much smaller groups with today's barrels, bullets, powders and scopes.

Even the mighty 6 PPC got killed off by the 30 BR in score shooting, it's a dog eat dog world at the cutting edge of competition.

Is that because bigger holes cut higher scoring rings even if the center of the hole is a little farther away from target center?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Is that because bigger holes cut higher scoring rings even if the center of the hole is a little farther away from target center?

Exactly. Extremely close to the PPC in raw precision, add the bigger hole, everybody switched over.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
What's accuracy?

I bought a 760 because it was $150.
A 30-06.

A gun I disliked, a round I had no use for.

I like 308 and 300WM.

Looking around, I found a partial box of 180gr Pro Hunters.
Looked at the Lee Dipper set and manuals.
H4831 lined up as a choice from the shelf.

Mounted a 3x9x50 Tasco. (The effort involved is embarrassing)

And the M)*^$#@$^*!!!&%#×$%;!!!! shoots just under an inch, 3 shot groups.
Only a few, this rig is not much loved.
The Tasco left its elevation turret loose one year when it needed adjusted, now
there is a vari x 3x9 on it.

Still don't live 760s.
Respect them though.

Do kinda want a gun I like in 30-06.

Better send that old 760 to a good home! Let someone appreciate that old 06 grin

Can't it's previous owner was a friend.
Gotta bunch of them. That one was Joe's.

It hunts on occasion.
Another frustrating habit is it never loses zero enough to matter for most of our
hunting. I check. Only time I remember needing to adjust was when the turret screwed
out of the Tasco.

Sounds like a keeper for sure!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by CCCC
[quote=scratcherky]They maybe accurate but there is no such thing as inherently accurate.

The concept that a particular case design (cartridge) in and of itself is inherently "accurate" as compared with others that are not - as an innate inalienable, and essential aspect - regardless of powder, primer, projectile, barrel, twist, etc., etc. - seems a stretch. Experienced comments in this thread tell a story.

It seems difficult, then, to help with your wish for explanation why others. "don't believe they are wrong" - whatever that means.

CCCC,

I fail to see how the definitions you pick of "inherently" disprove my points. But I could go to my big printed copies of the Oxford English Dictionary of the English Language and my American Merriams-Webster, and probably find at least one definition that matches better with "mine."
But would also point out that when Noah Webster published his first dictionary of American English in 1828, he chose to define words by "common usage," and none of the ballistics people I interviewed misunderstood what I was asking. My first question also turned out to be the title of my article on the subject "Does Inherent Accuracy Exist?" This was published in the December 2007 edition of Handloader magazine, and the then-editor subtitled it "Barsness Interviews Top Ballisticians."

I named all of them, including Ron Reiber, the long-time head ballistician at Hodgdon, and Bob Nosler. Can't remember the others, and am not about to go through my collection of Handloader magazines to dig out that particular issue. But they all read the article when it appeared, and nobody objected to their quotes included in the article. In fact, some contacted me afterward with further comments.

So no, my previous post was not exactly "hearsay," and all the folks I interview plainly understood my question, apparently due to "common usage."

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
inherently accurate”
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the.

^^ i just looked this up ^^

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
[quote=scratcherky]They maybe accurate but there is no such thing as inherently accurate.

CCCC,

I fail to see how the definitions you pick of "inherently" disprove my points. But I could go to my big printed copies of the Oxford English Dictionary of the English Language and my American Merriams-Webster, and probably find at least one definition that matches better with "mine."
But would also point out that when Noah Webster published his first dictionary of American English in 1828, he chose to define words by "common usage," and none of the ballistics people I interviewed misunderstood what I was asking. My first question also turned out to be the title of my article on the subject "Does Inherent Accuracy Exist?" This was published in the December 2007 edition of Handloader magazine, and the then-editor subtitled it "Barsness Interviews Top Ballisticians."

I named all of them, including Ron Reiber, the long-time head ballistician at Hodgdon, and Bob Nosler. Can't remember the others, and am not about to go through my collection of Handloader magazines to dig out that particular issue. But they all read the article when it appeared, and nobody objected to their quotes included in the article. In fact, some contacted me afterward with further comments.

So no, my previous post was not exactly "hearsay," and all the folks I interview plainly understood my question, apparently due to "common usage."
Thanks for the reply. I did not provide the definition in order to disprove your point. I did so because you requested that.

It is good that your ballistic sources did not deny their quotes and your entire post did not seem to be hearsay, but that supporting evidence is. Repeated scientifically based observation of consistent high accuracy using a very particular case design - regardless of loading, barrel, sights, etc. - would be demonstration of inherent accuracy of a case design. If, indeed, that does exist. Thanks again.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Inherently accurate? At what range and compared to what? It could be compared to the 30-40 Krag, or any of the other military cartridges loaded with long heavy round nose bullets. But the Germans made it change when they rolled out the 7mm Mauser loaded with a 150gr spitzer.

Was Inherent accuracy a thing in 1906? What we have here is a 17.5 degree shoulder and lots of body taper. It was made to function quickly, feed quickly and meet acceptable accuracy standards. It's a warhorse that can be trained to prance in a parade, but it prefers the the faster action of a Browning 1919. Turns out fast action also happens afield so it's a superb sporting round.

It represents a major development in the arena of military small arms. Logistically is was a step backwards as it's size and bulk limited firepower. At the same time it bolstered confidence being the most powerful chambering to ever serve in active duty. In short inherent accuracy really isn't it's thing, but it really isn't necessary to get the job done.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
After working in a gun store, and talking to countless "hunters" coming in the store, i came to the conclusion that there are more "inheretly accurate" cartridges than shooters.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by brydan

Good point mathman. That's why everyone hated it when I brought my 9.3x62mm to the hunting rifle centerfire shoots at my club in Washington....
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One guy tried to keep up with his 338wm, but firing off 10 shots was too much for him.. ha ha.. Now, speaking of "inherently accurate" cartridges, I'll bet that 9.3x62mm cartridge places right up there around the 223..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rickt300
Inherent accuracy is an ethereal confluence of heavenly elements that cannot be explained. It is incorruptible. It is spiritual. It is pursued by those of unshakable faith and limitless devotion. The result will be a oneness that no one can attain in this life.

- Stephen Redgwell, 1984

It is funny when people quote themselves, even Canadians.

It's even funnier when someone else mentions it.

The Canadian part?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,709
Posts18,513,950
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.