Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by renegade50
I miss the Army at Times.
83-08
Being around Ftcky here in Clarksvegas.
I run into Brothers of all ages and ranks all the time around here.
And a talk can last for a hour or more.

My old lady has a joke in that regard. When I hit the base gym, consulting, hospital, or just goofing around, she says “see you tomorrow”.

You get the Brothers together and time flys !

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I kind of look at it in a pretty simplex way - there is approximately 50 % of this country that is not worth my time of day and the sweat off my gonads, and approximately 50% that are worth defending at all costs.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I miss the USCG so much!

1979 -- Jimmy Carter was president and unemployment was 11% -- At least in upstate New York. Almost everyone I knew in HS went into the military, others (rich kids) went to college. I was the last hold out, I guess you could say from the HS graduating class of 1979, to join the military. I spent the summer either stoned, or trying (in vain) to help my older brother-in-law with his construction business, which didn't quite work out. So many times, I thought he was going to kick my a$$ like you wouldn't believe! My older sister told him to give me another chance... etc... Finally, it just wasn't working out and, I had to swallow my pride and return home to the wrath of my WWII Army/Air Corps father.

Well, truth be known, we got into it. I was 18 years old, I was a man, and 10 feet tall and bulletproof as the saying goes. I did the most stupidest mistake any young man can make... During an escalation with my WWII dad and myself, I actually lunged forward and TOOK A SWING AT HIM! eek All I remember is connecting with the cigar is his mouth, knocking it out of his mouth, and then I saw a look in his eyes that I will never forget. I will take it to my grave... My father 6'3' 250lbs. Me a punk 18yr old kid with an attitude problem, 5'11" and maybe 150lbs, 160lbs... You know the outcome... eek

To this very day, all I remember is a giant "grizzly bear paw" type of hand pressing down on top of my head, while I flailed away with lefts and rights, swinging away, while my father instinctively knew how to avoid them. He soon had enough and pressed down with all his might, and collapsed me to my knees. All I could do was cry out for him to stop. I cried out for him to stop. He continued pressing downwards. Soon enough I was almost face down in the gravel driveway with my head in between my legs.

It was at THAT EXACT MOMENT that my life had changed. In retrospect, "Thank you, Pop!" I guess I needed that proverbial "swift kick in the a$$" and he provided it, let me tell you!

Then it was on to the discussion of joining the military, since jobs were nowhere to be found with 11% unemployment (thank you, Jimmy Carter). I remember my older brothers-in-law (Vietnam Vets) telling me to NEVER join the Army or the Navy. Then I had this realization that I have been involved with boating since I was like 10, 11, years old. I knew lakes, rivers, channels, buoys, etc... So the best bet was the US Coast Guard. But then I also had another option of the US Air Force (since both my parents were in WWII in the Army Air Corps (which developed into today's US Air Force).

Coast Guard or Air Force
Coast Guard or Air Force
Coast Guard or Air Force

In summary, The US Coast Guard won out, since I had way more experience (even as kid with small boating, navigation, lakes, rivers, etc...) And that was that. I served a career in the Coast Guard and wish I could do it all over again! cool

Last edited by ButchA61; 01/24/23.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fugg no, not a chance. And I would discourage anyone I know.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by renegade50
I wouldn't wanna be on detailed slave recruiting duty out their in this day and age.

Schit suuuked the root 98 - 01.
And homie has a gold badge with 3 sapphires from those 3 suuk azz years.
Homie hated recruiting command.

Homie was very successful cause homie can talk to anyone.

Homie was glad to leave being a fuuking detailed slave and go sleep on the ground in line dog world and meet new people once again on this rock spreading " goodwill".
Interesting insight...
Had a young couple buy the house next door to us six months ago. He's an Army recruiter, just left a base in NY. They like to keep a very low profile, I did get a chance to talk to both of them a little. His wife told me that he did three tours in Afghanistan. They're both from Michigan, not sure what they plan on doing after his recruiter duties are finished.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In retrospect, looking back on my post that I wrote about my experience in 1979... Perhaps I am a generation (or even possibly two) trying to share my experience from what it was like back then...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Grandsons enlistment was up when Joe Retard took office.He had 12 years in the Marines.He did not re up.He said friends who stayed in,regret it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I wouldn’t trade my time for anything either.

Joined at 21 after college didn’t work out and my dad said “you need a better job and out of my house”. Was working at a local hobby shop at the time(rc planes, cars, boats, ect ect).

2010 I joined. I was a hydraulics repairman on helicopters. Got randomly selected out of AIT for 160th and spent 9 years with them in Savannah, Ga. Grew up there if you will. Finally got my head out of my ass and dropped a flight warrant packet and now flying Blackhawks. Those first 9 years were amazing, flight school was great and now these last 2 of being in regular army….. well it’s something. That’s where my hesitation to suggest the military to anyone comes from. If I could guarantee they were going to 160th I’d tell them to join every time.

7 years until retirement…. 7 years.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I got out of the Airforce because of Carter... 😁
Twas stationed in the U.K. and getting ready to PCS back to the states, I was filling out my base of choice to return to. Due to my AFSC and my job assignment at Moldyhole they asked me if I would be interested in applying to work on Airforce One. I told the guy doing my paperwork oh hell no!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Joe won't be around forever. Personally, I liked the National Guard so much better than the active Army. But, I was in aviation and we always had people wanting to be in one of our units. I can't say that for Infantry or Cavalry.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I wouldn’t join again today and I no longer recommend joining.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll have 26 years in next month. Coming to an end. Did 4 years active and got lucky and got a full time gig with the Air National Guard. Been around the world a couple times. Iraq, Afghanistan etc etc. 3 years in Germany, multiple trips to Alaska etc etc. Been good to me but I see the changes. Took longer to get to the Guard but they have infected us as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the very few things I am truly proud of is my time in the Marines, and the deployments I went on. I joined because I wanted to be a Marine, no other reason and I suspect there's a fair number of 18 year olds today that feel the same. The entire USA isn't woke.

Things have changed but not like some of these videos portray, from what some friends I have still in tell me.

I'd join again in a heartbeat. No questions asked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Winchester21
I used to recommend the military to young men that had uncertain plans for the future. NO MORE.

Same here. The military is a good part of what made me who I am now. But in this day and age with Marxist clowns running the US into the ground, I wouldn't enlist or recommend others to do so on a bet.

If you want the military experience, I suggest taking some French classes and joining the French Foreign Legion.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I punched out in 2014 after 32 years and is was getting worse every day. Couldn't imagine having to deal with the "woke" PC crowd of today.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Presidents reside for 4-8 years. A military career spans 20+ years. I hated serving under Clinton and Obama but I made it through to better times. If I had it to do all over again, I'd serve another 27+ years. In every aspect of our lives we encounter stupidity, a lack of common sense, laziness, and some folks with an insatiable sense of entitlement. Why not join the military, deal with that same crap, and get an amazing retirement after only 20 years?

After that, do whatever you want, rather than what you have to do.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dinny
Presidents reside for 4-8 years. A military career spans 20+ years. I hated serving under Clinton and Obama but I made it through to better times. If I had it to do all over again, I'd serve another 27+ years. In every aspect of our lives we encounter stupidity, a lack of common sense, laziness, and some folks with an insatiable sense of entitlement. Why not join the military, deal with that same crap, and get an amazing retirement after only 20 years?

After that, do whatever you want, rather than what you have to do.

As dumb as some things were when I was in (2002-2006) - the .civ world has beat all of it in some way/shape/form at one time or another. My son served 2018-2022 and he's shocked at how stupid the .civ world is even compared to how redic the .mil was.

If anyone really believes they avoid stupidity, wokeness and general dumbassery by avoiding a military career - they obviously never held a private sector job.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn’t trade anything for my 21 years in the Air Force. I joined the Air Force when I was 21 and out of money for college. My high school sweetheart at the time ( now my wife) had her parent up and move away leaving her pretty much homeless at the time. I was going to join the Coast Guard and she had agreed to as well. Well, the CG recruiting office closest to us closed and consolidated to Memphis, TN. No way I was driving to another state, so I went 15 miles down the road and joined the Air Force. Wife said no to the AF, so it was just me that went in.

I’d probably still join today, but do it a little different for sure. My deployments to Bosnia, and Iraq helped make me who I am today. My son just hit 4 years in the Army NG and is wavering on getting out all together or going AD Air Force as an O. My only regret and my son knows it, is pulling my OTS package when I was in. I would have retired a minimum a Captain and O-3E retirement is better than E-7 retirement.

Last edited by Hudge; 01/25/23.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I see very few young people signing up for military service. I also here police officers saying that they dont want their children to become police either

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.