Hop To
Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by antlers
There were 613 rules and regulations in the old covenant. For someone to assert that the old covenant is still in effect and that they abide by it by not eating pork or shrimp or catfish, and that they keep the sabbath…while completely ignoring all of the other 611 rules and regulations in the old covenant…seems more than a bit disingenuous and hypocritical. The New Testament documents made it very clear to the Judaizers that you’re either ‘all in’ regarding the old covenant, or you’re not in it ‘at all’.
This post appears to have been directed at me, but I’m not sure which of my posts it’s responding to?
Sorry man, I was responding to several of your earlier pointed and direct posts and questions to another individual regarding Judaism, but my response wasn’t directed at you.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JeffP
There were 613 rules and regulations in the old covenant. For someone to assert that the old covenant is still in effect and that they abide by it by not eating pork or shrimp or catfish, and that they keep the sabbath…while completely ignoring all of the other 611 rules and regulations in the old covenant…seems more than a bit disingenuous and hypocritical. The New Testament documents made it very clear to the Judaizers that you’re either ‘all in’ regarding the old covenant, or you’re not in it ‘at all’.

No man alive (sans Yeshua) could keep the law .
The whole Old Testament is full of Israelites that failed time and again. Just like everyone of us. When Jesus came , he made it clear, not only could we not keep the law but we never even understood the law...
On the cross Yeshua said “it is finished.”
Post the cross we are under grace .

Blessed be the Lord our GOD.

Yes Sir.
If you can understand the NT, you will see that the law was only given to show them that they couldn't be good enough and would have to rely on the sacrifice rather than their own ability, thus making the way for them to rely on the perfect sacrifice of Jesus.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by CCCC
So, just who is "we"? Do you have a lizard in your pocket?
I think the "we" was referenced in the opening post. As in "we who are abandoning Chritianity en masse"
Thanks for the reply, but seems not the case. The "we" I noted was used by mauserand9mm, and not in the context of abandonment of a church or denomination by a Christian.

It was stated thusly: "The more we know the more the gods dissappear into the folklore."

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Antlers, how do you define sin?
I think that ‘sin’ is intentionally doing something that you inherently know to be wrong.
Where should one go for reference?
Do ‘you’ need a “reference” to tell you that the intentionally wrong thing that you’re doing is ‘wrong’…?
When Jesus spoke of Sin, what was he referring to?
I think that He was referring to one intentionally doing something that one inherently knows to be wrong.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think that ‘sin’ is intentionally doing something that you inherently know to be wrong.
Do ‘you’ need a “reference” to tell you that the intentionally wrong thing that you’re doing is ‘wrong’…?
I think that He was referring to one intentionally doing something that one inherently knows to be wrong.

Sounds like man doing "what's right in his own eyes" and we're specifically cautioned against this.

Last edited by WMR; 01/26/23.
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Jesus would have referred back to His Father’s law which He came to fulfill because we couldn’t.

He didn’t delete the law He fulfilled it for those who look to Him in faith. Those who don’t believe that He came to do that are placing their faith in themselves to fulfill it on their own behalf.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WMR

Sounds like man doing "what's right in his own eyes" and we're specifically cautioned against this.

No reason to have a list of this or that sin or which is worse. The whole point of salvation is to be rid of a sin consciousness. Christian philosophy tells you that you aren't getting to heaven based on not sinning. Trust in your savior. Trust the sacrifice and not your ability and focus attention on the things that bring love, joy, peace, goodness, gentleness meekness, and longsuffering and there will be no need to worry about sin.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by efw

Jesus would have referred back to His Father’s law which He came to fulfill because we couldn’t.

He didn’t delete the law He fulfilled it for those who look to Him in faith. Those who don’t believe that He came to do that are placing their faith in themselves to fulfill it on their own behalf.

Don't know exactly what you mean by that. What does it mean when a contract is fulfilled? What would I mean if I said to you," I didn't come here to tear up your contract, I came to fulfill it." It would mean that the contract was finished and paid in full.

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I absolutely and unequivocally believe that God loves us and forgives us and saves us...not because of who we are or because of anything we do (such as ‘not’ sinning)…but because of what Jesus did on the cross. Our best efforts would never be good enough to ‘earn’ salvation. We are not saved by obeying a list of do’s and don’t’s, rules and regulations, or by ‘not’ sinning…but by God’s grace alone...through faith in Jesus...and not at all by our own efforts (such as ‘not’ sinning) or works.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Antlers, you believe an individual is his own moral compass, or as Oprah would say, an individual is their own God. I must admit to being very disappointed in hearing you say that.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
So, just who is "we"? Do you have a lizard in your pocket?
I think the "we" was referenced in the opening post. As in "we who are abandoning Chritianity en masse"
Thanks for the reply, but seems not the case. The "we" I noted was used by mauserand9mm, and not in the context of abandonment of a church or denomination by a Christian.

It was stated thusly: "The more we know the more the gods dissappear into the folklore."
That's the we I referenced

Clarification, the God of Christians is one of many gods known, or invented, or worshiped (your choice) by mankind through the millenia.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 01/26/23.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by IZH27
How many books of the Bible do you actually accept? Hadn’t you discounted all except a handful?

If keeping the law according to historical Judaism is the route you choose to take is think that it would be imperative that you clear your conscience concerning the Baptist church and your dealings with those people.

Deceiving them by influencing them down a path that you know is contrary to their beliefs breaks several of the commandments upon which you claim place so much importance.
How can he be breaking commandments by enlightening people and helping them to learn the errors of their ways?

I’m certain that you can figure out the conflict.

No more conflict than any other who may proselytize.

So if you were part of a private club, and some jackass, came in trying to change the club and make it something totally different than what you signed up for you’d be OK with that?
I would be okay with any member who wanted to follow "jackass" to his new club.

Is that not what proselytizing is all about? Pulling folks away from their club, to yours, so you can charge them dues.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Why did Jews like the Pharisee Saul chase down, imprison, and execute Christians?

Where does scripture say Saul actually killed Xtians?

I've never found the scripture detailing such and
Prof. Bart Ehrman is on record saying the same.

…and James (Jesus’ own brother).

But Different fathers apparently.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Antlers, you believe an individual is his own moral compass, or as Oprah would say, an individual is their own God. I must admit to being very disappointed in hearing you say that.
I believe that every human being has a conscience which has been placed there by God Himself. Christian scripture also teaches that. There is a sense of right and wrong that we all have. I believe that God put a conscience within each of us ~ a sense of right and wrong. And even those who have never even heard of Christian scripture still know the difference.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I would say they when someone is saved, they get a new compass. They don't need to study all the rules because the ruler will guide them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by efw
Why did Jews like the Pharisee Saul chase down, imprison, and execute Christians?

Where does scripture say Saul actually killed Xtians?

I've never found the scripture detailing such and
Prof. Bart Ehrman is on record saying the same.

Why do you think he was on the way to Damascus to have them arrested. Scripture also records him at Steven's stoning.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by efw

Don't know exactly what you mean by that. What does it mean when a contract is fulfilled? What would I mean if I said to you," I didn't come here to tear up your contract, I came to fulfill it." It would mean that the contract was finished and paid in full.

My understanding of the reconciliation made through the cross is that Christ’s active obedience in leading a perfect life & His passive obedience in dying fulfilled the law’s demands for those who look to Him and His work in faith. Hence I qualified fulfillment based upon a man’s faith.

Is that not your understanding? Is it your understanding that fulfillment came between Him & mankind as a whole rather than individuals? Is that what you’re getting at?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that every human being has a conscience which has been placed there by God Himself. Christian scripture also teaches that. There is a sense of right and wrong that we all have. I believe that God put a conscience within each of us ~ a sense of right and wrong. And even those who have never even heard of Christian scripture still know the difference.
Yes, but we also have concupiscence and ignorance.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RHClark
Why do you think he was on the way to Damascus to have them arrested. Scripture also records him at Steven's stoning.

1./ "arrested" doesnt mean killed.
2./ Does scripture describe Saul actively
throwing stones at Steven?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

"Recently in Iraq, 19 Yazidi girls were placed in iron cages and burned alive in front of a crowd of hundreds, for refusing to copulate with jihadis."

"Religious minority women under IS [Islamic State] control are often repeatedly sold from jihadi to jihadi. Once militants get tired of raping and abusing one particular girl, they usually sell them off to one of their militant buddies so they can rape and abuse them at their own pleasure."

"After their children were abducted by the Islamic State, a couple answered their door to find the body parts of their daughters and a video of them being tortured and raped."

"Christian girls are considered goods to be damaged at leisure. Abusing them is a right. According to the community's mentality it is not even a crime. Muslims regard them as spoils of war."

Radical Islams' conscience tells them this okay.

Hitler did all his damage with the Church as the main weapon. Most Germans believed what they were doing was morally right.

Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,579
Posts18,532,222
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.