Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have bought from Midsouth a few times bsa, probably 4 or 5, and my experience was always positive. At least I don't recall any problems over the years.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I've ordered various items from Midsouth over the years, never a problem. They or Graf's are my preferred suppliers unless I drive up to Powder Valley.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
tag

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Couple of days ago, saw some load data on the 22.250 with a fast twist, using the 88 gr ELD, and its max charge was 38.5 grains of Stabile 6.5 from Winchester...listed velocity in the 3500 fps MV range.

Due to weather conditions I haven't loaded up a few and tried them over the chronograph to see how that corresponds to those results...
and also looking to see how the accuracy is at that..

Was going to just start out at 38 grains and see what she gives me...

Passing that on... will report results when the weather turns around...

Got 6 or 7 inches of snow on the ground right now... that is really rare around here...

range probably closed until it melts which should be around noon-ish, but its still over cast, sort of chilly and just sloppy outside...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I shot them this morning in my Blaser k95 single shot.

Barrel is a 1:8" by Bix'n Andy cut to 60 cm or 23.6"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Altitude 2,130 ft
Temperature 45ºF

Brass: once fired Norma
Primer: Federal 210M
Powder and load: 36,9gr Superformance
COL: 2.69"

Speed: average of 11 shots: 2,933 fps
Group I: 5 in 0.6" at 100 meters (109 yds)
Group II: 6 in 0.7" at 100 meters

I plan to move up a bit, until I get 3,050 fps or groups start to deteriorate, whatever happens first.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice shooting

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Seafire
Couple of days ago, saw some load data on the 22.250 with a fast twist, using the 88 gr ELD, and its max charge was 38.5 grains of Stabile 6.5 from Winchester...listed velocity in the 3500 fps MV range.
Highly doubtful.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Seafire
Highly doubtful.

Kinda why I was going to load up 2 or three, and take the Lab Radar out and chronograph them...

Seemed doubtful, but loading up and chronographing several will tell the truth or dispel it.

anything I read on reloading a cartridge, I always test it out first, to see if its fact or fiction.

Some times it becomes conservative in reporting the actual results.. and other times, it turns out to be someone's pipe dream...

The rifle and the chronograph is what I believe...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I have bought from Midsouth a few times bsa, probably 4 or 5, and my experience was always positive. At least I don't recall any problems over the years.

Yeah, I've bought from them quite a few times. Sorry if my question sounded like I was leery about them. I was just wondering if anyone else took advantage of the sale they had on the 88's and free shipping. Seemed like a great deal, considering the high prices on everything these days. I received the bullets the other day and I am likely going to start playing around with load development. Now seafire has me thinking I need to start off with 4064. Maybe I'll sneak in some H4831 loads as well. We will see if my rifle even stabilizes them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by chamois
I shot them this morning in my Blaser k95 single shot.

Barrel is a 1:8" by Bix'n Andy cut to 60 cm or 23.6"

Altitude 2,130 ft
Temperature 45ºF

Brass: once fired Norma
Primer: Federal 210M
Powder and load: 36,9gr Superformance
COL: 2.69"

Speed: average of 11 shots: 2,933 fps
Group I: 5 in 0.6" at 100 meters (109 yds)
Group II: 6 in 0.7" at 100 meters

I plan to move up a bit, until I get 3,050 fps or groups start to deteriorate, whatever happens first.

I have 2 pounds of Superformance, but I've found it to be tempermental in other cartridges. Thanks for posting up results though. Looks pretty promising. Would love to see how it does at 400 yards or so.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I have 2 pounds of Superformance, but I've found it to be tempermental in other cartridges. Thanks for posting up results though. Looks pretty promising. Would love to see how it does at 400 yards or so.

This has been my first experience with Superformance so I cannot add on your comment about being temperamental. Next day I will shoot 37,5gr with an increased OAL of 2.70" and see how it goes.

It will take some time, as I don´t have a shooting range facility much at hand but will be testing them at 300 and 500 meters as soon as I can, more to verify my turret settings than because I would foresee any odd behaviour at those distances.

Would you, if I may ask?

I plan to take them on this year's cull hunt and see how they perform side by side to the 77gr TMKs.

Thank you!

Alvaro

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Keep us posted buddy. Your groups look great. I ran some 88's today with some IMR 4064 and an OAL of 2.660". However, that is .020" off the lands on my rifle. Groups were not spectacular. I did not even measure them. To be honest, I got discouraged when my new iron sight 30-30 damned near shot as well as this Tikka 22-250, and I haven't even started to accurize the 30-30 yet, and that was the first time I've loaded for it. As for these 88's, I'm wondering how far off the lands you are? Generally it is best to start close and then adjust from there, not go the direction you are going. That also brings up a good question. How far off the lands are you guys running these 88's?? Your rifle has a 1 in 8" twist, which could mean it is marginally stabilized. Because of this, I always check loads at 400+ yards to see how the bullet performs. Believe it or not, I've had issues with the 77 TMK in a 1 in 9" twist. According to the stability calculator, it was "marginal" for stability. It shot well at 100 yards, but fell to pieces at 400 yards. I mean it was shooting 1' groups at that distance. Yes, foot, not inch.. Some guys call bs, but that is what I've seen. I'd personally rather shoot a lower bc bullet that stabilizes very well, vs one that is marginal because those can do some weird things past 100 yards. I'll be finding out soon with my rifle, and I may even give Superformance a try. Looks like you are getting some great results. Mine were ho hum today with IMR 4064. I am also not one that chases the highest velocity. I'd rather find a load that shoots sub 1/2 moa CONSISTENTLY, even if it is a tad slower. That is the key to shooting further out as well. It has to be consistent. That also reminds me, the brass I was using today was new. Precision will be better from here on out, since it is now fireformed to my chamber. I don't care who makes it, it's never going to shoot as well as it will after it is fireformed for your chamber and prepped right. I'll go measure the groups and get some pics posted. Once I find a good load, I'll stretch it out to 400.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I put the ELDs at touching BSA in my Tikka. I’m not saying you have to but that worked pretty well for me while working up loads. That’s not jammed on the lands as you know, just touching the rifling.

Sometimes I’ve had to back them up 5-10 thou but I use very small jumps with ELDs myself.

Never used 4064 though, but I’d think it’d work fine, probably very similar to RL15.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I put the ELDs at touching BSA in my Tikka. I’m not saying you have to but that worked pretty well for me while working up loads. That’s not jammed on the lands as you know, just touching the rifling.

Sometimes I’ve had to back them up 5-10 thou but I use very small jumps with ELDs myself.

Never used 4064 though, but I’d think it’d work fine, probably very similar to RL15.

Thanks buddy. I like how the 4064 performed. Didn't drag the chrono out though. Just looking at group size and dispersion. It was new brass, so I was not expecting ragged holes. I'll try closer to the lands next time out. Seafire was right, no pressure signs, but I did not push the envelope as far as he did. In the Hornady load manual I have, I believe they list max charge weight at 32.5gr's for the 80gr ELD match bullet. That's why I only went up to 32 with the 88. I was surfing the web and saw where guys on snipershide are using RL26 and also RL23. I believe I bought some RL23 a while back. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking I will see the best accuracy with H4831. Does anyone have a picture they can share of new Hornady load data for the 88 ELD match bullet? I always like going off the book suggestions first. Thanks.. Also, I should add: These are some nice long sleek bullets for a 22 cal. I'm hoping I can work up a good consistent load that shoots in the .5's. That way, maybe something may shoot close to an inch at 400. That's been my goal for most of my rifles lately.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
… As for these 88's, I'm wondering how far off the lands you are? Generally it is best to start close and then adjust from there, not go the direction you are going… Your rifle has a 1 in 8" twist, which could mean it is marginally stabilized. Because of this, I always check loads at 400+ yards to see how the bullet performs…

At 2.70” I will be 0.02” off the lands. It is where I wanted to start but I made a mistake when adjusting the seating stem and my first cartridge came out at 2.69” and I just left it there.

I have never experienced good groups at 100 meters and bullets key holing at 500.

I am surprised it can happen since the bullet does not loose much rotational speed when slowing down which is like saying that once stabilized a bullet should stay stabilized. But then, I had never shot bullets only marginally stabilized.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks buddy. I like how the 4064 performed. Didn't drag the chrono out though. Just looking at group size and dispersion. It was new brass, so I was not expecting ragged holes. I'll try closer to the lands next time out. Seafire was right, no pressure signs, but I did not push the envelope as far as he did. In the Hornady load manual I have, I believe they list max charge weight at 32.5gr's for the 80gr ELD match bullet. That's why I only went up to 32 with the 88. I was surfing the web and saw where guys on snipershide are using RL26 and also RL23. I believe I bought some RL23 a while back. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking I will see the best accuracy with H4831. Does anyone have a picture they can share of new Hornady load data for the 88 ELD match bullet? I always like going off the book suggestions first. Thanks.. Also, I should add: These are some nice long sleek bullets for a 22 cal. I'm hoping I can work up a good consistent load that shoots in the .5's. That way, maybe something may shoot close to an inch at 400. That's been my goal for most of my rifles lately.

I have hornady #11 no load data for 88’s 22-250. I did check to see if they pushed a new manual and they haven’t. You probably can use data for the 22creedmoore essentially same case with improved shoulder. Start at minimum and go from their. Good luck buddy!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I have hornady #11 no load data for 88’s 22-250. I did check to see if they pushed a new manual and they haven’t. You probably can use data for the 22creedmoore essentially same case with improved shoulder. Start at minimum and go from their. Good luck buddy!

Thanks for looking J. I appreciate it. I damned near bought a manual off of ebay. Now I'm glad I didn't.. The info these guys have shared here is appreciated as well. I'll also post up results, as I try different powders. I'll also do like beretzs said and run them closer to the lands. Damn chamois groups are looking pretty good, I may have to pull out some Superformance.. Glad my brass is fireformed now though. I know some guys hate my target pics, but that is about the best way to show how a load is performing. IMHO..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The eld-m for me don’t like a lot of jump. Will say the 75’s and 88’s are not as jump sensitive as the 80’s. I jumping mine .010 off in my 223 Wylde

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
The eld-m for me don’t like a lot of jump. Will say the 75’s and 88’s are not as jump sensitive as the 80’s. I jumping mine .010 off in my 223 Wylde

Thanks J. I ran them at .010" off the lands yesterday and similar results. Tried H4831 and it was alright, but the report was telling me it was not optimum. Still no chrono. I'll only pull one out when I find a good load.

The best out of 5 charge weights:

I'm not running my precious BR2's, as I am saving those for my competition loads in my creedmoor. CCI200 should get it done well enough. On to testing H4350 today. Mainly bringing the rifle to keep my new 788 company..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you shoot in yesterday's match?

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.