Hop To
Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by efw
Why did Jews like the Pharisee Saul chase down, imprison, and execute Christians?

Where does scripture say Saul actually killed Xtians?

I've never found the scripture detailing such and
Prof. Bart Ehrman is on record saying the same.

Originally Posted by antlers
…and James (Jesus’ own brother).

But Different fathers, apparently.

I believe you are correct....

According to Dr John Oaks, he says..... "The Bible does not say that Paul himself actually killed any Christians. It does say in Acts 7:58 that he was present at the stoning of Stephen and that he approved this act. Whether he actually threw one of the stones is not stated one way or another. It is certainly possible that he actually threw one of the stones, in which case he would have killed a Christian. However, one gets the sense that Paul was a very high level leader of the Jews and an important Pharisee, despite the fact that he was relatively young. Such a person normally will not get their hands dirty by actually performing an execution. Therefore, if I were to guess (and it would be just a guess), I would imagine that he never actually did the physical act of killing a Christian. However, he oversaw such arrests and executions. He confesses this in his own writings. He tells us in Acts 22:4-5 that he persecuted Christians and saw to their arrest and punishment. In Acts 9:1 we hear that Paul was making “murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples.” As far as Paul was concerned, he felt that he was responsible for the killing of Christians. He felt that he was “the worst of sinners” 1 Tim 1:15. I assume that he was correct in his analysis of the situation–that he was responsible for the deaths of some believers. However, in my opinion, it is more likely than not that his responsibility was as one overseeing or encouraging such killings, not actually physically carrying them out."

Illegitimi non carborundum

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Raspy
In Acts 9:1 we hear that Paul was making “murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples.”

Talk is cheap.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I believe that every human being has a conscience which has been placed there by God Himself. Christian scripture also teaches that. There is a sense of right and wrong that we all have. I believe that God put a conscience within each of us ~ a sense of right and wrong. And even those who have never even heard of Christian scripture still know the difference.
For example, when Solomon admonished someone who had wronged King David, he said to them “You know in your heart all of the wrong that you did to my father David.”

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by efw
Jesus would have referred back to His Father’s law which He came to fulfill because we couldn’t.

He didn’t delete the law He fulfilled it for those who look to Him in faith. Those who don’t believe that He came to do that are placing their faith in themselves to fulfill it on their own behalf.

Don't know exactly what you mean by that. What does it mean when a contract is fulfilled? What would I mean if I said to you," I didn't come here to tear up your contract, I came to fulfill it." It would mean that the contract was finished and paid in full.

My understanding of the reconciliation made through the cross is that Christ’s active obedience in leading a perfect life & His passive obedience in dying fulfilled the law’s demands for those who look to Him and His work in faith. Hence I qualified fulfillment based upon a man’s faith.

Is that not your understanding? Is it your understanding that fulfillment came between Him & mankind as a whole rather than individuals? Is that what you’re getting at?

We are on the same page.

I honestly think however it's a bit broader than that. Imagine someone just trusting in the God they can't see and possibly never even heard of. Based on Jesus being the Lamb slain before the foundation of the earth, God and Jesus being one, and Abraham's and all the Profits and righteous people who died before Jesus, I think the faith part is more important than knowing the complete story and the names of all the players.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Why do you think he was on the way to Damascus to have them arrested. Scripture also records him at Steven's stoning.

1./ "arrested" doesnt mean killed.
2./ Does scripture describe Saul actively
throwing stones at Steven?

He may not have done the deed himself, but I figure there is enough evidence to convict him in a murder case. Doesn't matter in the least however since sin is of the heart and not necessarily in the act and he was saved afterward anyway.

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I believe that every human being has a conscience which has been placed there by God Himself. Christian scripture also teaches that. There is a sense of right and wrong that we all have. I believe that God put a conscience within each of us ~ a sense of right and wrong. And even those who have never even heard of Christian scripture still know the difference.
For example, when Solomon admonished someone who had wronged King David, he said to them “You know in your heart all of the wrong that you did to my father David.”

A person can clearly know in their heart something that is also written down on a tablet (as it were). There are internal and external witnesses.

Scripture says that the moral law is written upon all our hearts so that no one is without excuse. What was the excuse? That a person had not seen the written form of the law.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He may not have done the deed himself, but I figure there is enough evidence to convict him in a murder case. Doesn't matter in the least however since sin is of the heart and not necessarily in the act and he was saved afterward anyway.

You have gathered enough evidence from vague scripture
to make a murder wrap stick?..LoL...😂

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Yea I suppose, but if you and I go somewhere to kill somebody even if I'm the only one to throw a rock, you will still go down for it right alongside me.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

That would be "rap", not "wrap". Just in case you wanted to sound smart.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Christianity on the Campfire...

Don't get too close to the coals.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yea I suppose, but if you and I go somewhere to kill somebody even if I'm the only one to throw a rock, you will still go down for it right alongside me.

You need to prove "intent" to convict Saul.
and meet the required std of evidence.
And you are relying on vague questionable
details from antiquity from an anonymous
author.
No judge would entertain your foolishness.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Why debate scripture with a guy who doesn’t believe in it?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something cannot be deemed true just because it is written in old scrolls.

Something is not necessarily true because people believe it to be true.

A certain standard of evidence is needed to prove a proposition.

Just that it is written and believed does not necessarily make it so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Why debate scripture with a guy who doesn’t believe in it?

Clark is debating modern criminal law according
to his faith in the scripture ..a sure recipe for disaster.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

You need to prove "intent" to convict Saul.
and meet the required std of evidence.
And you are relying on vague questionable
details from antiquity from an anonymous
author.
No judge would entertain your foolishness.

I'm not arguing with you about it anymore. Like I said it's a moot point. They did however lay their garments at Paul's feet when they stoned Stephen. At that time Paul was in line to become the next high priest. It is reasonable that he condoned the stoning or perhaps ordered it since he was the one charged to arrest Christians.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not arguing with you about it anymore...

Good , coz You don't have anything of substance
that would stand in a modern judicial system
when trying to convict for murder.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
- - - - Believing in something that you don't know to be true is just attempting to fill in the gaps in the falsehood of pretending to know. An appropriate honest answer for the gaps would be we don't know. The more we know the more the gods dissappear into the folklore. Faith is a usefull excuse for commiting attrocities and/or making a buck or two. Scientists don't go around killing people because they don't believe in science.
So, just who is "we"? Do you have a lizard in your pocket?

If ever you experience an important awakening and realize that you simply do not have the power and ability to read the minds or the intent of others, you will probably be in a complete dither. Again and again you pretend that you can perform such a miracle, and then try to build your case on the false premise. That is as baseless and intellectually dishonest as a person can be. Ergo, your posts are devoid of importance. Such vacuous rigidity and obstinate behavior must feel like a curse.

And, you might think about some work on your spelling.
When I used the term “we” I meant those that share the same rational, logical and skeptical thought process – there’s lots of us out there. You appear to not want to be accused as being part of that group.

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Faith is a usefull excuse for commiting attrocities and/or making a buck or two.

Scientists don't go around killing people because they don't believe in science.
Ever hear of abortion?
Provide proof that a scientist has performed, or arranged, an abortion because the fetus didn’t believe in science.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by Hastings
Did you see the "Big Bang"?
God and the Big Bang are not mutually exclusive.

I made no statement to either effect. My point was that the atheists are perfectly willing to believe what someone today tells them about what was allegedly seen through a super-duper telescope and enhanced by a super-duper computer; and then believe the theory which they say explains what the computer produced. But they dismiss eyewitness accounts of the resurrection. Intellectual snobbery at its finest.

You need to educate yourself about the science and what constitutes facts and evidence. Faith is not a suitable substitute for the truth.

There are no eyewitness accounts of the alledged resurrection anyway - you're making crap up.

LOL, I see that you are still auditioning to be the next Biden press secretary. You sound just like our Democrats, making disjointed declarations and accusations that use all the buzz words, without anything to back it up. I am sincerely sorry for whatever caused the bitterness that you have toward Christians and our faith, because your vitriol towards us goes far beyond mere disagreement; it seems indicative of some deep-seated trauma in your past. Otherwise, why continue to lash out every time one of these threads appear? The OP posed the question of why Christianity seems to be declining. You could just state your belief that the decline is because people are realizing that it is a hoax, then leave the rest of us to civilly discuss other causes. But no, you have this strange compulsion to continue to attack Christianity as long as the thread is active. It's odd, because I doubt this much venom would be coming from you on any other subject; even if someone's screen name was pushfeedand7mm, I doubt that your hair would be set on fire like it is on this subject.

We've done this dance before and I see no need to further engage someone with your, frankly, unhinged mentality. My post and response were directed towards Hastings, not you.
That’s a typical response when the believer is confronted with the harsh realities of the failures of their belief system and they become desperately defensive, aggressive and divisive.

Well?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Why do you men think people are leaving it nowadays…? What are some of the reasons that you men think people simply don’t believe it anymore, or no longer find it attractive…?

hint...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 16 of 32 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1Longbow, 160user, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,572
Posts18,531,929
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.