Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I believe that our conscience, this inner moral compass that God Himself placed within each of us…that scripture also affirms…ought to always point us to right and wrong. But, because we live in a broken world (because of sin in the world), this innate and God-given moral compass within each of us can sometimes become suppressed and dulled, for a variety of reasons; we can also intentionally ignore it, just as we can intentionally ignore the moral teachings in scripture.

I’m a lot more mindful of trusting in Jesus for my salvation than I am with me not sinning. Despite my best efforts, I’m gonna continue to sin, as are you. I strive to stay focused on trusting in Jesus…first and foremost, regardless of anything else, no matter what…as opposed to me focusing on my ability to not sin.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Do you believe in reproof and rebuke of sin? If so, who or what is the authority?

Antlers, I do not believe you answered the question.

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Do you believe in reproof and rebuke of sin? If so, who or what is the authority?
I think I’ve made my beliefs quite clear. Maybe I can expound a bit; can you rephrase the above question…?

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nor did you answer this question which was specifically asked of ‘you’ a couple of pages ago:
Originally Posted by antlers
Do ‘you’ need a “reference” to tell you that the intentionally wrong thing that you’re doing is ‘wrong’…?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I think there are a great many people (like you) who once embraced it, who no longer embrace it. But of ‘all’ of the reasons that you gave for no longer embracing it, NONE of those reasons have anything to do with Jesus or His teachings. And that’s my point: Of all of the people that I’ve talked to, listened to, and read their interviews and blogs and books…and there have been many dozens of them (like you) who once embraced it, but who no longer embrace it…I’ve yet to hear a story from anyone who abandoned the faith of Christianity based on anything directly related to Jesus or His teachings. I’ve yet to hear a story from anyone who abandoned the faith of Christianity based on anything directly related to the faith of Christianity ~ at least the original version anyway.
No, I absolutely have no problems with Christ's teachings. I recognise Christ as one of history's top philosophers.

I simply do not recognise Christ as supernatural.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I absolutely have no problems with Christ's teachings. I recognise Christ as one of history's top philosophers. I simply do not recognise Christ as supernatural.
Did you ‘ever’ recognize Christ as supernatural…?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Not after I was of "the age of consent".

IOW, old enough for babtism.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say that very little is known about the man, Yeshua/Jesus, the charismatic rabbi.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think I’ve made my beliefs quite clear. Maybe I can expound a bit; can you rephrase the above question…?

Example. A pastor at a church is openly sleeping around, with multiple partners, and has no remorse or intentions of stopping.

Do you believe the church is to rebuke the pastor, and if so, on what authority?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nor did you answer this question which was specifically asked of ‘you’ a couple of pages ago:
Do ‘you’ need a “reference” to tell you that the intentionally wrong thing that you’re doing is ‘wrong’…?

Absolutely I need reference. My heart and human mind will start making very poor rationalizations. The Word is my guide.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's so simple men.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Example. A pastor at a church is openly sleeping around, with multiple partners, and has no remorse or intentions of stopping. Do you believe the church is to rebuke the pastor, and if so, on what authority?
I suppose if that particular church is set up such that the elders or deacons, or the congregation itself, has a say-so regarding the pastor’s employment agreement…and if that pastor violates that employment agreement…then the elders or deacons, or the congregation itself can take whatever actions they feel is necessary ~ from a rebuke up to and including termination.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Example. A pastor at a church is openly sleeping around, with multiple partners, and has no remorse or intentions of stopping. Do you believe the church is to rebuke the pastor, and if so, on what authority?
I suppose if that particular church is set up such that the elders or deacons, or the congregation itself, has a say-so regarding the pastor’s employment agreement…and if that pastor violates that employment agreement…then the elders or deacons, or the congregation itself can take whatever actions they feel is necessary ~ from a rebuke up to and including termination.

Agreed. How do you reconcile this rebuke if the pastor is to determine sin based on his own heart compass?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's so simple men.
You are so right. Jesus taught for three whole years and his words are simple and easy to understand. His teaching and doctrine was nothing new.

The common people loved him and followed him. A sizable part of the Jewish hierarchy were alarmed and had him killed with the very reluctant OK of the Roman governor.

Where the problem is with ''Christianity'' is that it was hijacked and things were imputed to Jesus that he never taught.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Agreed. How do you reconcile this rebuke if the pastor is to determine sin based on his own heart compass?
A violation of his employment agreement is a violation of his employment agreement. Period. In this particular hypothetical situation, the pastor is clearly ignoring the teachings of scripture just as he is ignoring his God-given moral compass.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's so simple men.

Some want it to be simple, even when it's not. The bottom line is simple: an absence of evidence to support supernatural claims, people being raised from the dead, the existence of a cosmic monarch, etc....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that our conscience, this inner moral compass that God Himself placed within each of us…that scripture also affirms…ought to always point us to right and wrong. But, because we live in a broken world (because of sin in the world), this innate and God-given moral compass within each of us can sometimes become suppressed and dulled, for a variety of reasons; we can also intentionally ignore it, just as we can intentionally ignore the moral teachings in scripture.

Satan misleads people and makes them believe their own righteousness. One reason we need the Bible is to test spirits - to determine if what they tell us is true or false.

I’m a lot more mindful of trusting in Jesus for my salvation than I am with me not sinning. Despite my best efforts, I’m gonna continue to sin, as are you. I strive to stay focused on trusting in Jesus…first and foremost, regardless of anything else, no matter what…as opposed to me focusing on my ability to not sin.
On your own efforts, that is correct. You will continue to sin. However, allowing Christ to change us, to do the heavy lifting through grace, will change us for the better. Grace is a free gift, but you have to go get it. It's not handed to you.

Politics is War by Other Means
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Apostle Paul…whom the Lord clearly said was His chosen instrument to proclaim His name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel…was pretty honest about his ongoing struggle with sin.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I think there are a great many people (like you) who once embraced it, who no longer embrace it. But of ‘all’ of the reasons that you gave for no longer embracing it, NONE of those reasons have anything to do with Jesus or His teachings. And that’s my point: Of all of the people that I’ve talked to, listened to, and read their interviews and blogs and books…and there have been many dozens of them (like you) who once embraced it, but who no longer embrace it…I’ve yet to hear a story from anyone who abandoned the faith of Christianity based on anything directly related to Jesus or His teachings. I’ve yet to hear a story from anyone who abandoned the faith of Christianity based on anything directly related to the faith of Christianity ~ at least the original version anyway.
No, I absolutely have no problems with Christ's teachings. I recognise Christ as one of history's top philosophers.

I simply do not recognise Christ as supernatural.

Supernatural? The event was recorded in the book of Matthew chapter 14....specifically Matthew 14:22-33

Illegitimi non carborundum

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A violation of his employment agreement is a violation of his employment agreement. Period. In this particular hypothetical situation, the pastor is clearly ignoring the teachings of scripture just as he is ignoring his God-given moral compass.

Antlers, how do you define sin?
I think that ‘sin’ is intentionally doing something that you inherently know to be wrong.
Where should one go for reference?
When Jesus spoke of Sin, what was he referring to?
I think that He was referring to one intentionally doing something that one inherently knows to be wrong.

Antlers, these two post seem to contradict one another but I could be missing something.

You defined sin as intentionally doing something that one inherently knows is wrong. You said nothing of scripture. Then when asked for a reference for sin, you doubled down on your position and responded with a question, should we need a reference, which still ignored scripture. Then you say the pastor is clearly ignoring scripture. No where in your definition of sin was scripture mentioned. You also say the pastor is ignoring his moral compass? We certainly have no insight into the mans mind and his personal dealings with God.

Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 11,574 guests, and 1,545 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,034
Posts18,540,653
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.