Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
TC:

Neat rifles.

Did the 1910 Mauser come with the Springfield style cocking piece?

Thanks.

Bob

Nah, I bought it off a guy that thought it made his 1936 look too much like a Springfeild crazy

Terry

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mainly just upgrading after thinning the herd. I added Timney triggers to both my 600s (7mm-08 and 338Fed), put one in an EDGE, the other is getting a McSwirly I just ordered. The next step is replacing the Leupy STD mounts but I'll do that after hunting seasons are over in January.

The only thing left is a 700 ADL in 223 that I picked up cheap. I put it in a CDL stock w/ BDL bottom metal. It's shooting pretty decent. I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet but it will get tinkered with at some point. Any suggestions?

RH

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I am hoping to get what perhaps will be my last custom rifle finished. It is a 1903 Springfield which will have a half round-half octagon barrel, three position side swing safety, custom Buehler bases and stocked in a piece of English Walnut. The stock style will be patterned after the older Griffin & Howe style. The metalwork is done and I need to take the pattern stock and blank to Dennis Olson some day so he can turn it out.

Oh ya, the caliber is 30-06. I know, it's boring but I need a nice 30-06 to round out my ultimate trio. wink

Pre-64 Model 70 in 270 WCF (or 270 Winchester)
Mauser 98 in 275 Rigby (Or 7X57 Mauser)
Springfield 1903 in 30-GOVT-06 (or 30-06)

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Custom stocked 1B in 9.3x62.

Wood is tiger maple with a chek piece and shadow line slimmer foreend with a black tip.

Rebored to 9.3 from .270.

Maybe by December or so???

1B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1B - I'm hoping you will post pics of that one on the SS forum when it's done. Sounds like a sweet rifle for sure! Who's doing the rebore if you don't mind me asking?

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My GAP/Kampfeld rifle should be done within the next couple of days. I can't wait. Will post pics when I get back from Karl's house. Hopefully Sunday or Monday....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot to add, ordered a McSwirley for my Finnlight from Rick....

D
dj1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
here a three of my current projects, i have about 5 more going but they aren't close enough for pictures.
first is a 6.5x55 octagon barreled mauser project with a banner receiver. here is a pic of the barrel action sitting beside the seni-inletted stock.
[Linked Image]
the barrel wasn't indexed at the time the pics were taken but its done now so i can finally start inletting it to the stock.
the stock is an oberndorf classic from great american gunstocks bargain section.
i'm still working on the bottom metal, its a sculptured, hinged 2 hole guard with a lever release. pic of it rough shaped
[Linked Image]
still not sure what i'm going to use for sights yet but it will probably get a 3 leaf in a 1/4 rib rear & a caterpillar front. i still need to weld on a talley bolt handle & order a kepplinger single set trigger.

second one started out as a yugo captured mod98 from a gb auction. it was in a beat up zv-24 stock so i thought since i have a few spare sporter stocks i'd do a quickie sporter build.
how i got it
here is a pic of it inletted into a freischutz classic stock from the bargain section a GAG.
[Linked Image]
the stock looks plain in the pics but it has some nice grain. i was going to use the straight bolt to keep from cutting into the side plates but i have a wide arc bolt that clears them & headspaces good so i'm going to use it instead. the bolltom metal is a sculptured 2 hole guard
when i started inletting it to the stock the military rear sight looked to big so i shortened it about an inch so it only reads to 600 yards instead of 2000, the step on the barrel hasn't been turned back in the pic.
[Linked Image]
all i need to finish is to add a barrel band front swivel base & install the front sight then assemble the rifle.

last is a 50's style mauser target rifle in 220 swift, i'm still waiting on the barrel, its shown with a junk barrel. i have a 26" er shaw barrel ordered. it has a columbian fn action, old bishop benchrest stock & a weaver k6 with a litschert 12x target-teer booster.
[Linked Image]
its going to be a single shot so i welded up the floorplate with flatbar & reshaped the bow more to my taste.
[Linked Image]

i get most of my donor rifles from pawnshops, gunshows, & gb auctions & i try to make or modify as much as i can myself

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stanimal,

Al Siegrist in Whitemore MI (989) 873 3929 is doing the rebore. He has done one for me in .338 Federal too and it is a fine shooter.

Woodwork is Being done by Clyde at D&D Gunsmiths in Troy MI. he built my custom 6.5 Swede Ruger #3 too.

PICTURES! Man my last trry was such a four barrel disaster I can make no promises.

1B

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
About to send the deposit off to build a light carry rifle in 25-284.
Rem 600 action, PacNor #1 at 22". Tubbs kit, alloy shroud, and Rifle Basix trigger.
Pillar bedded in a Bansner stock with ADL trigger guard.
Cerakote on the metal and rings/bases. Still thinking on bolt fluting.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Building a 24 inch M98 Oberndorf rifle for the Wife in .257 AI
and a commercial FN 98 in 35 whelen with a 20 inch barrel and a Mannlicher stock for me. Dammit Steelhead :=)

Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been thinking about getting one of the short mag rifles cluttering up the used rifle racks and having a 20" barrel put on it in .350 Rem Mag or .450 Marlin. Cant decide which, but inside 200yds either one will be a thumper.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1B - thanks for the info. Perhaps if the pics are an issue one of us here at the fire could post them for you as I'm sure the guys over on the SS forum especially would love to see them. I just can't shake the #1 bug - held out for years and finally bought a 1A that I used exclusively last year. I just love the feel and handling of these rifles. Still only have the one but I have a feeling that won't last. grin

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1B
Stanimal,

Al Siegrist in Whitemore MI (989) 873 3929 is doing the rebore. He has done one for me in .338 Federal too and it is a fine shooter.

Woodwork is Being done by Clyde at D&D Gunsmiths in Troy MI. he built my custom 6.5 Swede Ruger #3 too.

PICTURES! Man my last trry was such a four barrel disaster I can make no promises.

1B

Al Siegrist is a highly respected smith in these parts. I travel through Whittemore several times a year on my way to Alpena.....

I was under the impression that Dan was the one who did all the work on the nice wood stocks at D&D? Maybe Clyde does also. He's built a couple of my custom rigs. They also have a newer guy there now, whose name escapes me. I've not been too impressed with his work thus far........

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2muchgun,

Dan does a lot of the checkering. As far as I know based on just some recent experience, Clyde does the actual stock building. he is part time now, having moved north a bit and taken up a new challenge -- precision tool and die work building high quality reamers. He has shown me a few picts of his personal guns and the work is stone cold, old world quality. I certainly found high standards work on my #3.

I am from MI -- East Detroit -- originally and an Oakland grad. Ihave lots of family there who bring back to the area a lot. I try to make the visits coincide with one of the bigger local gunshows. Still a big Tiger/Lion/Red Wing and U of M fan.

1B

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Clyde is finishing a 257 Bob for me, should b done when I get home, may be able to take it out for this years season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen a bunch of their "old school guns" also. Some are exceptionally done.

Dan had a gun for sale at the last Michigan Antique Arms show that he told me he had made the stock for. It was nicely done.

I hope Clyde does well, he is a really nice guy......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CZ 550 Medium action (worked-over), 3-position safety, McMillan CZ 550 stock in Desert Camo, chambered for 358 Norma Mag.

WAR EAGLE!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just picked up a Win M70 SS Classic in 270WSM with a Leupy Vari-X III 2.5-8X36 for a song laugh . . . It will be a 25WSM in a few months, sitting in a McM Edge from Rick.

Also a .223AI is in my future - I have the 700 VSSF sitting here now.

D
D
I'm sure I'm not the only one who decided to take a bunch of left over parts and some stupid ideas, making a Franken-rifle. I have a rather odd rig, made out of a mosin-nagant action, an old tear off .222 bull barrel, that has been reamed to an odd wildcat similar to a .22 short krag, it was put in a cheap nagant synthetic stock opened up to accept the barrel. the bolt handle was "customized" to clear the scope and mount. the scope mount was machined from a 2x2x8 inch block of aluminum (I highly recommend never every trying this unless you have way to much time on your hands and enjoy migraines) it was topped with a 2.5x10x42 tasco I had lying around. It needs a trigger yet, being as quality mosin-nagant triggers are nonexistent in the U.S. Its is a fun project, to see was I could do with parts and pieces, I hope to post some pictures so you all can ask, "why on earth???" and it will bring me the same joy as when I go to the range and people give it these weird looks as it prints under a dime all day long with 30.5gr of the old faithful 4895 pushing a 55gr ballistic tip.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear"

The Navy was once made up of Wooden ships and Iron Men, today it seems we have Iron ships and wooden men
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 14,838 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,983
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.