Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I have been researching places to spend my last twenty years on this earth. I am not an AZ native but once upon a time figured that I would live out my days in the Chandler/Gilbert area of the PHX metro area...... I have been living here since 1998 (transferred with work) but I no longer recognize the AZ I fell in love with in the late 90's. The influx of out of state liberals and a completely corrupt political machine has got me thinking it is time to get the hell out of AZ.

I really couldn't care less about closeness to 21st century medical facilities (seems like the only thing the geriatric crowd gives two $hits about is their weekly trip to the doctor for their latest 'script for whatever) nor do I give a damn about airport proximity as I don't give a $hit about how often ungrateful and/or libtaard family members call on me. LOL

I grew up on a farm in central ND so do understand rural living and cold weather.

I can prepare better food than the vast majority of restaurants so the whole dining out thing is meaningless.

I do want to live somewhere that has an access to public land(s).

I think an attribute of an undiscovered gem is how unlikely the area succumbs to growth. Also I am ruling out states where the liberal state politics are dictated by one or two metro areas like OR, WA, MI, MN, CO, WI

OK boys and girls ..... undiscovered gems, what say you?

Chadron, NE
Spearfish, SD
Worland, WY
Lewiston, MT
Ekalaka, MT

How about people with opinions on OK, ME, TN, KY, SC?

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Spearfish

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TN... look around the cookeville - Crossville area...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Cantwell or Paxton AK. Manley Hot Springs. Glenallen, Delta Jct. Some other places. Move in with Vern or Mainer..... smile

Keep in mind we are over-run with summer tourists in many places. The Kenai Pen gets pretty sucky in the summer.

Last edited by las; 01/28/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Oklahoma is decent. Good gun culture. Sales tax is high. Conservatie government. Hot summers. Have no idea on property values. Moved here7 yrs ago and have ignored everything.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
I have been researching places to spend my last twenty years on this earth. I am not an AZ native but once upon a time figured that I would live out my days in the Chandler/Gilbert area of the PHX metro area...... I have been living here since 1998 (transferred with work) but I no longer recognize the AZ I fell in love with in the late 90's. The influx of out of state liberals and a completely corrupt political machine has got me thinking it is time to get the hell out of AZ.

I really couldn't care less about closeness to 21st century medical facilities (seems like the only thing the geriatric crowd gives two $hits about is their weekly trip to the doctor for their latest 'script for whatever) nor do I give a damn about airport proximity as I don't give a $hit about how often ungrateful and/or libtaard family members call on me. LOL

I grew up on a farm in central ND so do understand rural living and cold weather.

I can prepare better food than the vast majority of restaurants so the whole dining out thing is meaningless.

I think an attribute of an undiscovered gem is how unlikely the area succumbs to growth. Also I am ruling out states where the liberal state politics are dictated by one or two metro areas like OR, WA, MI, MN, CO, WI

Chadron, NE
Spearfish, SD
Worland, WY
Lewiston, MT
Ekalaka, MT

I'd like to go to southwest Kansas but the wife is not interested.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been to Ekalaka 8-10 times.
I like it alot!
Beautiful area.
Spearfish/Belle Fourche is another great area. Nowhere near as rural as Ekalaka!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool

Chadron, NE
Spearfish, SD
Worland, WY
Lewiston, MT
Ekalaka, MT

You should add some places in WVA to look at as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by papat
Oklahoma is decent. Good gun culture. Sales tax is high. Conservatie government. Hot summers. Have no idea on property values. Moved here7 yrs ago and have ignored everything.

^^^This^^^

Moved from TX to OK in '02.
Lot'sa lease property, but alot of old farmers are pretty lenient about allowing an oldtimer a little hunting space.

Hint:
If you move to a smaller community, find a local church and get to know the people. Sometimes that will lead to hunting opportunities you won't find anywhere else! It's what I did!
Good luck!

P.S. - the best folks in OK are west of IH35, along and within a few miles of Red River.

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 01/28/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bucksnort, TN

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Add Colorado to liberal state politics are dictated by one or two metro area.

My problem in moving anywhere east the Mississippi is the humidity and those folks, to me, have whole other outlook on life I can't tolerate.

One thing to remember, you might be healthy now, but closeness to 21st century medical facilities gets to be little more important as you age.. A stroke, heart attack, or even common maladies like arthritis will give you a whole new outlook on that. BTDT.

Then there is health insurance. Unless you stay with medicare and opt to pay the 20% they don't cover, the selection will be very limited in a rural area.

Those colder states of WY, or MT will work on you a lot harder as you age and as more and more people flock to them from areas you don't like the politics, their politics will change into the same.

Screw the politics. As you age,they will mean less and won't effect you as much. Find the area where you like the climate . Might look around Taylor, AZ on the Mogollon Rim

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ll second Crossville, TN area but Cookeville is very cliquish. Tennessee has no state income tax.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the five you are looking at and wanting to be some what remote.

Go with Ekalaka Montana appears to be the top pick reading your post.

2nd going to Worland, wy and Lewiston, mt .

Chadron, ne i do not think you would be happy there

Spearfish area, was being taken over 20 years ago by a California rush, pushing housing out of the locals ability to purchase. To the north is belle fourche and it is a nice area. It is more off the beaten path, they have a trap club and nice rifle range near by.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You SOBs quit trying to get folks to move to Tennessee!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Top place on your list for me would be Lewistown MT, by a large margin.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lewistown sucks. No shopping, housing in short supply, few restaurants, long way to go to get to sizable town to shop, hard to find places to hunt. Cheyenne, WY would be better.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by papat

^^^This^^^

Moved from TX to OK in '02.
Lot'sa lease property, but alot of old farmers are pretty lenient about allowing an oldtimer a little hunting space.

Hint:
If you move to a smaller community, find a local church and get to know the people. Sometimes that will lead to hunting opportunities you won't find anywhere else! It's what I did!
Good luck!

P.S. - the best folks in OK are west of IH35, along and within a few miles of Red River.

Jesus hunts?

I may have to re-think!

Personally, if'n I was to leave AK, I'd do my damndest to get to Yellow Pine, ID! Or that bigger town (Frenchie name, down the pike a bit.)

Last edited by las; 01/28/23.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Or Calder, Red ives.... Hell I'd even settle for St Maries, if it hasn't gone all to hell since 1968- the last time I was there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would not choose anywhere in Montana unless you love, LOVE very cold weather and plowing and moving snow all 7-8 months of winter. Retirees don’t move here, and theres a reason for that. Having said that, if you still think you might like winters here, check out Twin Bridges and Sheridan (MT).

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Amos63, 35, 257_X_50, afisher, alffe, 7 invisible), 840 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,916
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.