-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can anyone share some their expertise in this area? My biggest question is what type oil to use. There seems to be several choices, including peanut and cottonseed to name some. What do you guys and girls use?

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have used a couple of vegetable based oils including cottonseed but have found that peanut seems to taste best and it doesn't pick up a burnt taste easily.

One caution, DON'T overfill the pot. When you add the bird, the oil will overflow or boil over and catch fire from the burner.

I usually put the turkey in the pot and add water until it's covered then I mark the side of the pot with a pencil. I drain the water and dry the pot - then add oil to the pencil line.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My turkey fryer has marks that indicate the level of oil for the weight of the bird. I also use peanut oil. A few words of caution on using a turkey fryer. DO not setup anywhere close to anything burnable like the in the garage or under the patio cover. Also when you are lowering the bird into the oil use heavy work gloves incase you get spatter. The last thing you want to do is to drop the bird if you get hot oil on your hands. Another thing is to lower the bird slowly and give the oil time to fill the body cavity. tom

Oh and make sure your propane bottle is full nothing worst than running out of gas before the bird is done.

Last edited by pumpgun; 11/18/07.

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pumpgun gave good tips. Peanut oil has the highest smoke-point so it wont burn under long hot frying conditions.

Also, make sure you take a paper towel and pat the bird dry in and out before you season it. It will have enough moisture to hold any seasoning or rub, but too much moisture will increase teh popping and spattering.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another thing, put the turkey on the frying spit and let it rest INSIDE your house for about 2 hours before you fry. This will allow the bird to come to room temperature so as not to lower the oil temp when it is put into the fryer.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crawfish
Another thing, put the turkey on the frying spit and let it rest INSIDE your house for about 2 hours before you fry. This will allow the bird to come to room temperature so as not to lower the oil temp when it is put into the fryer.

That too! laugh

War Damn Eagle!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.