Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I was considering the +/- sample to sample.

You know what I'm talking about when I said guys misread the dials. You called someone out on it a few weeks ago on one of these threads. That is why I'm saying it's easier to make mistakes with them vs. the digital readout models. To each their own, but I like easy. Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
These are my go to. Batteries last forever.

Mitutoyo 500-198-30 Digital Calipers

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I only use Starrett. I don’t like electric . Damn I must be old I measure my comp bullets , base to ogive. The electronics drive me nuts !

Last edited by Bella1; 01/28/23.

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Mitutoyo..

This ^^^^^^^^^^^.

They last.................

MM

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
The zero function of digitals is nice when using tools like headspace gauges and bullet comparators.
I totally agree with this. I got tired of subtracting the length of the comparator/headspace gauge, when using a dial caliper.
I just wanted to simplify things. I did get a Mutitoyo from an authorized distributor to avoid counterfeits. I don't regret my decision, though I'll still keep my dial caliper.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JJF
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
The zero function of digitals is nice when using tools like headspace gauges and bullet comparators.
I totally agree with this. I got tired of subtracting the length of the comparator/headspace gauge, when using a dial caliper.
I just wanted to simplify things. I did get a Mutitoyo from an authorized distributor to avoid counterfeits. I don't regret my decision, though I'll still keep my dial caliper.

Makes it easy that way... Just sayin..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a Starette dial caliper that’s been very good to use. I’ve also accumulated 2 digital sets that while accurate have difficulty keeping contact with the battery. I’ll have to remove the battery cover and press in on the battery and they’ll work a while then need it done again. Rarely bother pulling them out anymore. Neither are Starette or Mititoyo but looked well built at the time I bought them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mitutoyo is my recommendation. Yes, get the digital. Easier to zero, easier to use for sorting, etc.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have Starrett dial caliper. Been using it for a lot of years. Don't need batteries

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been using the same pair of Mitutoyos I bought to use in a college machine shop 30 years ago (dial calipers). They're Japanese production and I also have a newer pair which was made in Brazil, which are a little stiffer but measure the same.

The digital Mitutoyos I picked up stopped reading accurately (for inside measurements) after a few years of light use. I only use them for measuring COAL.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mitutoyo digital or Brown & Sharpe dial. I like to have both styles handy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for Mitutoyo.

Mine has been going strong for close to 20years now.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
I have a Starette dial caliper that’s been very good to use. I’ve also accumulated 2 digital sets that while accurate have difficulty keeping contact with the battery. I’ll have to remove the battery cover and press in on the battery and they’ll work a while then need it done again. Rarely bother pulling them out anymore. Neither are Starette or Mititoyo but looked well built at the time I bought them.

I had a set do that too. Place a small piece of aluminum foal under the battery. Fixed it for me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Double_Aught
Looking for recommendations on a new set of calipers. After about 5 years my harbor freight digital calipers are acting up on me and giving me some weird readouts. Would like to step up in quality and get a set that I have more confidence in.

Mitutoyo Digimatic. They can be purchased on ebay for ~$65. They're actually less expensive than the Mitutoyo dials, although for some applications I still prefer dial calipers.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own Mitutoyo and Starrett but I mostly use the Mitutoyo for reloading.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]timages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nothing digital for me, after using Starrett dial calipers, planer gauges, and micrometers for years at my job.

How often do you guys actually check the calibration of those digital measuring instruments?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Remington280
Nothing digital for me, after using Starrett dial calipers, planer gauges, and micrometers for years at my job.

How often do you guys actually check the calibration of those digital measuring instruments?

I check mine against gage pins, but have not sent a caliper in for calibration any time I can remember.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Remington280

I have a friend who is the "bearing guy" in the the business he works for. He has gone through Starrett's training and his company has reference blocks for calipers, mics, indicators, etc.

In the past I have brought my calipers and mics over and had him check the accuracy. My Mitutoyo dial and electronic calipers were all within Starrett specs. My two Lymans that I bought in the early 90's were within specs out to 5", my RCBS caliper was within out to 4". My Mitutoyo mic I bought from Martin-Marietta 15+ years ago when they were switching over to electronic is within spec also. I've never checked my tube mic though.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Another vote for Mitutoyo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use both Mitutoyo dial and digital. They both have pros and cons. Digital is more convenient for relative measurements. I like the reliability and analog resolution of the dial.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (2ndwind, 41rem, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,536,008
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.