Print Thread
Hop To
#18064467 01/26/23
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a 457 Varmint 22lr for a loca match that never really happened… tried some Eley black box and it was ok. I was reading a article today and a guy was saying his 457 absolutely loves RWS R50. Anyone else have these results? If not what ammo does your 457 prefer?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What base,rings and glass? Hint.

Pics will add to that humor. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My 457 seems to like Norma Tac

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As a general rule I've found alot of 452's, 455's and 457's really like SK Standard Plus, SK Rifle Match and Norma Tac.

Last edited by Razorhog; 01/27/23. Reason: add info
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regrettably, there’s no definitive answer to that question, especially in the middle grade grade lines. Lot to lot variations will drive you nuts at times. Those who really need consistent performance will get some ammo from a source that lists lot numbers and then buy a bunch of a good lot, but I don’t see a 457 as deserving of that.

Pick up some of the stuff suggested here, then buy a few bricks of those that do well, then shoot them up learning your setup and working on your technique, especially dealing with wind. Once you have that down you can refine your ammo selection and see what you can do and if it will let you be competitive in those matches.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Regrettably, there’s no definitive answer to that question, especially in the middle grade grade lines. Lot to lot variations will drive you nuts at times. Those who really need consistent performance will get some ammo from a source that lists lot numbers and then buy a bunch of a good lot, but I don’t see a 457 as deserving of that.

Pick up some of the stuff suggested here, then buy a few bricks of those that do well, then shoot them up learning your setup and working on your technique, especially dealing with wind. Once you have that down you can refine your ammo selection and see what you can do and if it will let you be competitive in those matches.

Very good advice!

Penndog

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Razorhog
As a general rule I've found alot of 452's, 455's and 457's really like SK Standard Plus, SK Rifle Match and Norma Tac.

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Regrettably, there’s no definitive answer to that question, especially in the middle grade grade lines. Lot to lot variations will drive you nuts at times. Those who really need consistent performance will get some ammo from a source that lists lot numbers and then buy a bunch of a good lot, but I don’t see a 457 as deserving of that. ..

During the last 25 years , I have owned at least a dozen CZ 452 rifles which have all been a least MOA accurate with some type of ammo. From my testing ,what I have seen mirrors the above two posts.

I currently have four 452 sporter rifles and a lone m457 American sporter (my first in that action design). From my testing if you want true match grade accuracy, try RWS R50/R100. High end Lapua loads or Eley Tenex / Match.

The CZ 457 Varmint -while a heavy barreled rifle- does not have a true match dimension chamber. Very often with non- match chambered rifles mid grade ammo will shoot as well as the higher end match grade stuff . The CZ bolt guns are famous for that when shooting $8 to $10 per box SK Standard and Rifle match, so do not ignore those loads in your search.

The CZs also seem to like RWS made ammo which is also who makes the Norma rimfire line. The newly released Norma Match standard velocity would be a good load to try along with RWS Target or Rifle Match. I would also give some of the lower end Eley loads a try like Eley Club ,Target and TEAM loads which can outshoot TENEX and Match in some rifles.

My list for "bang for the buck" ammo for CZs would be -

SK Standard
SK Rifle Match
RWS Target
RWS Rifle match
Norma Match
Eley Target
Eley Team

Last edited by jk16; 01/27/23.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good advice here.

If you REALLY want to go down the rabbit hole, take a look at this:

https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks fellas! I shoot rimfire benchrest every week so I’m very familiar with chasing good lots of Eley and lapua, just was curious if anyone else had seen good results with RWS as I haven’t tried it in any cz.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bodkin84
I bought a 457 Varmint 22lr for a loca match that never really happened… tried some Eley black box and it was ok. I was reading a article today and a guy was saying his 457 absolutely loves RWS R50. Anyone else have these results? If not what ammo does your 457 prefer?

Do you have a store that sells sampler packs? We have one in Ontario, Canada that offers five or six different types of samplers. You can buy a box of each cheaper than buying them as singles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mine loves Eley club, the RWS 50 didnt shoot as well in it.

Enough already, just shoot it!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I sent my 455 back to CZ for accuracy issues. Turned out it was the scope. They returned a test target. Gecco is their primary test ammo and they tried a few other quality brands. The best results, by good margin, came from Blazer, something I never heard of. Needless to say I stocked up. It is (or was) dirt cheap! My Ruger SR22 won't digest it though, only likes copper coated bullets.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by lhead71
Mine loves Eley club, the RWS 50 didnt shoot as well in it.

Thanks for the tip! Need to give the gun another chance apparently 🤷‍♂️

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some may recall that I recently reconfigured my Varmint MTR as a Premium by replacing the barrel and stock with take-offs I found on GB. Originally, I had a FF3 with a 3moa dot on it and was pleasantly surprised how well I could shoot with it using some of the SV I had on hand. Well, I replaced the FF3 with a Romeo 5 due to good experience with one on my Mini 14. Took it to the range yesterday and touched up the bore-sighting, then proceeded to shoot some really nice groups, better than I though possible with such a sight. The target size, color, and shape are important for good results, and the extra control over brightness with the R5 is a big factor too. Very pleased with how this project turned out.

SV is definitely back on my list after this, and the Aguila Super SV comes quite close as well as printing right with the CCI SV. RWS SSHP, was both off target and disappointing. Gonna give testing a rest and just shoot for a bit while I burn through some of this good stuff. I’m also going to resist the urge to scope this for now.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.