Print Thread
Hop To
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Dad's old Superblackhawk had the aluminum ejector rod housing rattling. Badly worn/rounded front (outside) and looked like crap.

This a 3 screw, so there's a stud soldered onto bbl and the ERH screw goes into it.

Got a new Borchardt Rifle Company steel shroud and put it on, looks way batter.
Shot maybe 10 rounds and noticed gap at front.

Loose, pulled on it and gap got larger.

Turns out the long head of the screw, made enough contact that it appeared the screw had pushed the ERH flush to bbl.

Stud is too tall for the shallow edge inside of the ERH.

Ive taken down the stud at least 1/3, and shortened the threaded end of the screw so it doesn't bottom out w shortened stud.

The gap is reduced when assembled, but w shroud off or on, the screw still stops clocked the same......so stud is still too tall.

I either have a mismachined ERH or the stud was way too long.

My concern is even w the stud shortened, the tall head of the screw now wont ride w outer edge of the ERH.
Why have such a tall screw head if its not supposed to.

Worst case I need another stud soldered in and a new screw.......and ejector rod housing.

Wonder who the Fire recommends do such work.

What should the stud be height wise (or amount of threads from screw)?

Last edited by hookeye; 01/29/23.
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If I'm understanding you correctly, it seems like a quick fix would be to have somebody at a machine shop make you a shim the same diameter as the screw head to slip on the screw. Obviously, it would be a tiny, thin shim. But it seems like a lot less trouble than having a new stud installed.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Also, if the head of the screw protrudes from the EJC, chuck it up in a hand drill, or even better, a drill press and use a file to take some off the top of it. Use cold blue on it afterwards.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Yes a washer to fit the screw put slip over the stud would work.
We are talking like a .005 ish lip.

Either the new steel housing was countersunk too deep, and or the stud too tall (maybe even too tall for the alum shroud originally).

Since I have shortened the stud, and also shortened the threaded portion of the screw........if the ERH is wrong and replaced, the screw and or stud may now be too short.

Ill call BRC and see if I can send the ERH back for them to measure it. If its in spec then the bbl stud is just too long. And may need further shortening. As well as the screw's threaded portion.

I don't think Ive taken 1.5 threads off either.

But if it goes too far, and is messed up......would need new bbl stud, new screw and new ERH.
Inherited the gun so have nothing in it, a few bucks to make it right is no big deal.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/30/23.
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Who works on these things? Turnbull, Bowen or somebody else? (in case it needs a stud, new screw and shroud).

The bbl is fine, except maybe the stud now. Shouldnt be that big a deal to replace the stud if need be.

Will just call BRC and see what I should do. Easiest would be to send shroud back and have them see if its in spec.
If so, go from there.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
If the screw doesn't need to contact the outer area of shroud (for recoil)....the stud bears all of that......then depth of screw "head" as far as slot side, doesn't matter.

So I need to know how it's supposed to be, what the shroud countersink should be/what barrel stud height should be.

Could be no big deal and keep filing.

Or a new shroud, screw and stud.

Who works on these things? Turnbull, Bowen or somebody else? (in case it needs a stud, new screw and shroud).

Id be cool w a pre warning bbl and new style Ruger parts, hell reblue the gun too.
Don't think Ruger does anything w 3 screws now except safety conversion.

The bbl is fine, except maybe the stud now. Shouldnt be that big a deal to replace the stud if need be.

Will just call BRC and see what I should do. Easiest would be to send shroud back and have them see if its in spec.
If so, go from there.

If you choose to send it off, send it to Ruger. They're pretty good about service.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Its a 3 screw=Old Model.
Dont think those are supported now except for the safety conversion.

Appears that some new model SBH had studded barrels so repair may be doable w factory stuff.
Calling Ruger in a bit.

Update:

Called BRC and they said Ruger tolerances vary so send shroud back in w a note and theyd swap for a diff one.

Ruger CS said they should be able to have stud replaced, factory screw and shroud (aluminum). Told the nice lady on the phone what went on and that'd Id be happy to pay to have it put back original. But then some phone deal happened so will call again and get an RMA.
It'll be put back original, and then will see if a replacement BRC shroud can be used to upgrade without fitting.

Should be good to go in short order. If Ruger can't replace the parts, then just send it off to somebody that can.

Is what it is. Just time and money LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.