Hop To
Page 25 of 32 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 31 32
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Honestly, it sounds like BS. Some sins should never be forgiven. God didnt have to allow his kid to die just so he could forgive us. If true, he could just forgive us, correct? I fail to understand why allowing your own kid to hang on a cross is a sacrifice for anything if you control the existence of man.
But then, guess he doesnt control anything due to free will.
Are God and Jesus the same entity?

Many say "yes".

Was Jesus the son of Jesus?

God is omnicient and eternal. Correct?

Can the eternal die?

For what does death count if one is omnicient and fully aware one is God and can not die?

There are a few gaps in the logic. But it must be so as the Priests wrote it so two millenia past. And Constantine culled the mistakes.

If the Truth is as cut and dried as many claim?
Then why was the very nature of Christ up for debate at the Council of Nicea, 300 years after Christ's death. And the answers only arrived at by a majority vote of the 300 attendees.

Is it really The Truth when a consensus is only arrived at through a majority vote?

What of the dissenting opinions?

There are no gaps in the “logic.” The gap/shortfall is found in your erroneous assertions.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

GB1

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There is certainly extra-Biblical evidence for Jesus; but it’s clearly a false assumption to assume that the New Testament authors…especially the eyewitnesses, who were documenting historical events…can’t be trusted because, as some skeptics have claimed, “they were biased.”

That’s like saying…outside of the multiple and independent eyewitnesses, and outside of the multiple and independent documents written by the eyewitnesses in the lifetimes of the eyewitnesses…”you have a very poor case.”

Put another way, does being at the scene of a crime automatically discredit your testimony as a witness…? Or…should it make you the most important person in the courtroom…?

The extra-Biblical historical writers who make references to Jesus and the apostle’s appear to have good historical information, and when you add up what they say about Jesus, you get a narrative that is congruent with the New Testament.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by antlers
There is certainly extra-Biblical evidence for Jesus; but it’s clearly a false assumption to assume that the New Testament authors…especially the eyewitnesses, who were documenting historical events…can’t be trusted because, as some skeptics have claimed, “they were biased.”

That’s like saying…outside of the multiple and independent eyewitnesses, and outside of the multiple and independent documents written by the eyewitnesses in the lifetimes of the eyewitnesses…”you have a very poor case.”

Put another way, does being at the scene of a crime automatically discredit your testimony as a witness…? Or…should it make you the most important person in the courtroom…?

The extra-Biblical historical writers who make references to Jesus and the apostle’s appear to have good historical information, and when you add up what they say about Jesus, you get a narrative that is congruent with the New Testament.

Yes, and especially when people from different continents say essentially the same thing.

Illegitimi non carborundum

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just don’t get it. A real, compassionate god would never allow young children and infants to be sexually abused, period. An infant can’t protect themself but if there was a real god he certainly could protect the kids.
Why would god toss an infant under the bus? And potentially ruin their life for decades to follow?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just don’t get it. A real, compassionate god would never allow young children and infants to be sexually abused, period. An infant can’t protect themself but if there was a real god he certainly could protect the kids. Why would god toss an infant under the bus? And potentially ruin their life for decades to follow?
I think most of us…believers and non-believers alike…struggle with the realities of pain and suffering in the world. But pain and suffering in the world doesn’t disprove the existence of God. It only disproves the existence of a God that doesn’t allow pain and suffering in the world. The Christian God promised that there would be pain and suffering in the world.

When sin entered the world, it held the door open for pain and suffering.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’m 69 years old. Been forced to go to church my entire childhood until I moved out at age 18. I struggled with believing in a god my entire life wanting to have faith. But at the end of the day my common sense brain just doesn’t believe. There are just way too many holes in the entire story to give it any credibility as far as I am concerned. I respect a believers right to think what they want.
In my mind no god, or any faith, would allow all the evil on our earth to continue.
The sky’s extend for millions of light years. Once alien sighting are confirmed most religious beliefs will go out the window.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Regarding the presence of pain and suffering in the world, I certainly struggle with some of the same stuff that you do.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just don’t get it. A real, compassionate god would never allow young children and infants to be sexually abused, period. An infant can’t protect themself but if there was a real god he certainly could protect the kids.
Why would god toss an infant under the bus? And potentially ruin their life for decades to follow?

To me the problem is that most Christians have a belief that God controls every aspect of life on earth. I've studied Christianity for decades and I have never seen that from scripture, just from Christian belief. The Text seems to suggest a God who created the earth, gave advice and perhaps help when asked, but left the running of it to humans.

From scripture it seems as if humans have a lease on the earth rather than total ownership. When the lease runs out God takes it back and deals with the wrongs committed.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I just don’t get it. A real, compassionate god would never allow young children and infants to be sexually abused, period. An infant can’t protect themself but if there was a real god he certainly could protect the kids. Why would god toss an infant under the bus? And potentially ruin their life for decades to follow?
I think most of us…believers and non-believers alike…struggle with the realities of pain and suffering in the world. But pain and suffering in the world doesn’t disprove the existence of God. It only disproves the existence of a God that doesn’t allow pain and suffering in the world. The Christian God promised that there would be pain and suffering in the world.

When sin entered the world, it held the door open for pain and suffering.

CS Lewis wrote an excellent little book called the Problem of Pain which I’d suggest to anyone doubting and who has a sincerely open mind to belief.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

SW,

I appreciate your honest and straightforward comments on what a “….real, compassionate god….” may or may not do.

There are a few viewpoints that have been relevant to me.

One is that God does indeed know our hearts. Each one of us…. He knows and at our judgment, He will judge honestly and correctly.

Having said that, I was one that was convinced that I was “OK” with God but later came to realize that I had created a “model” in my mind that was of my own design and making.

And of course, I judged myself to be “worthy” of God’s mercy. “Sure to pass and be found acceptable to God.”

This model does not pass a simple intellectual test….. I observed that almost everyone I knew had constructed their own model and that their models were, in some cases, very different from mine. Some that I met were, as best I could describe were uncaring criminals….. some were child molesters that did not seem the wrong in it.

Simply put some of the “judgment models” allowed for clearly wrong behavior …. Some models required “better” behaviors than my own model…..a model that I somehow convinced myself would be the one used on me and in my mind, I was sure to pass.

The problem was sin and that sin was mostly pride….. pride that I had in myself….. I was convinced that I was a “pretty good guy.”

Turns out I wasn’t such a good guy when I was confronted with my own failures and sin.

Anyway, that’s enough for now.

Btw…. A pretty strong biblical case can be made that there is an “age of accountability” and children and babies are not held accountable before that age….they go straight into the arms of God in Heaven.

For some of you….. no, this is not a justification for abortion. God is sovereign.

Last edited by TF49; 01/30/23.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I doubt that folks in Jesus’ day knew what the term “evidentiary scale” even meant. It is absurd to apply 21st century standards of evidence in criminal matters to 1st century events that weren’t even criminal in nature. .

Actually Xtians claim Jesus was murdered so it is criminal in nature.
And thankfully today we have established evidentiary standards to
test claims of evidence for alleged murder and alleged resurrection
be it last week or two millennia ago.
But I understand why Xtian apologists would not like being under such
stringent scrutiny.

But there’s good evidence that Jesus was here, and that He was raised from the dead..

You are correct there is plenty of proof and much more,

Sources from antiquity are not proof, they don't even meet the required minimum
on the evidentiary scale..At best you have flimsy claim anonymous writings from
non-witnesses. Applying xtian apologetic standards to the evidence does not meet
the burden of proof std. required in law.

Bart Ehrman Blog:

"Resurrection and other Miracles" July 30. 2018

"Today I want to show why multiple attestation can
*not* be used to support the resurrection of Jesus."

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I doubt that folks in Jesus’ day knew what the term “evidentiary scale” even meant. It is absurd to apply 21st century standards of evidence in criminal matters to 1st century events that weren’t even criminal in nature. .

Actually Xtians claim Jesus was murdered so it is criminal in nature.
And thankfully today we have established evidentiary standards to
test claims of evidence for alleged murder and alleged resurrection
be it last week or two millennia ago.
But I understand why Xtian apologists would not like being under such
stringent scrutiny.

What is an Xtian apologist?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is an Xtian apologist?

Those who come to the defence of their faith.
Typically they throw logic and common sense
out the window and apply their own irrational
arguments backed by special pleading.

Antler's posts are saturated with such,
but he just buries his head in the sand
and keeps blurting it out.

Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
But that don't stop
believers 'believing' their own wishful thinking.

Or embracing cynicism in order to defer accountability ?

I think Ive seen it work both ways.

I made my comment in relation to 'Miracle on the Hudson',
For the record , do you see that event as a miracle?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So you are saying God should punish the bad people and bless all the good people? Miracles would only happen to save the good people from the bad people.

That is a nice model, but certainly not realistic. I don't know why God allows bad things to happen to good people, and I still don't know how a magnet works, but you can't tell me it doesn't work. You also can't tell me how a magnet works...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
I believe that the shroud has been tested and dates back to the 14th century.
That was wrong. Later testing was done better.
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/cwn/20...ud-of-turin-to-the-time-of-christs-death

That's embarrassing. Historians have uncovered a memorandum in 1390 by Bishop Pierre d'Arcis, stating that the shroud was a fraud and he even knew the artist and how the shroud was painted. Odd that scripture would also omit mention of such an important "historical" piece of "evidence". Irrespective, a blood stained cloth would not prove a resurrection.

These days we have bleeding Mary statues - the miracles continue (well, after someone refills the statues anyway).

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

So you are saying God should punish the bad people and bless all the good people? Miracles would only happen to save the good people from the bad people.

That is a nice model, but certainly not realistic. I don't know why God allows bad things to happen to good people, and I still don't know how a magnet works, but you can't tell me it doesn't work. You also can't tell me how a magnet works...

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shrapnel might see medical diagnostic MRI
(magnetic resonance imaging) as black magic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So how does your analysis make you better than me or anyone else, for that matter, that doesn't agree with you?

I would bet a dollar, you don't know how an MRI works either, you just accept the results and take someone else's word on how it happens.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

So how does your analysis make you better than me or anyone else, for that matter, that doesn't agree with you?

I would bet a dollar, you don't know how an MRI works either, you just accept the results and take someone else's word on how it happens.

Just because you don't know, doesn't mean inserting a god is an answer - substitute a mystery with a bigger mystery. God is still an invalid response.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Closet or flaming Phaq preachers

Page 25 of 32 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (257 roberts, 257Bob, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 160user, 257robertsimp, 66 invisible), 4,341 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,583
Posts18,532,286
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.