Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At that price range I'd look for a used bike. Start by riding a few at bike shops and get a feel for the different geometries. Mostly pavement and dirt/gravel roads won't require expensive components. I have a 29er that's fast but my favorite is a 27.5+ with 27.5 x 3.0 tires.

I'd be looking in this order:
- frame that fits and will take a 3" wide tire
- front suspension
- dropper seat
- hydraulic brakes
- 1x drivetrain

What would Porter Rockwell do?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The used market is starting to open up and some very good bikes with little use are showing up and not selling. A few more months when retail stores start feeling the inch of over stocking and prices in both places will fall. At least that’s what observant people are thinking will happen. I suspect it will but im no expert.

From what you are looking at doing you may find that a gravel bike will fit your needs and be more comfortable for longer rides.

On tire size I’d go for a 29 inch set up. It rolls over bumps with less felt impact. If you go with a hard tail that will help with comfort depending on the trail.

I’ve owned 27.5, ridden full 29 and presently own a mixed wheel (27.5 rear 29 front). 29 is smoother. If you think there is a chance you might like to get into trail riding it may be worth thinking over a decent full suspension setup.

There are a lot of options. Pinkbike classified section is a good place to look to get a feel for the used market. Major brand going to get you a better bike than off brands. Researching components on the particular build is a good idea. That’s where used can get you more bang for the buck.

Last week I saw the bike that im riding advertised on pinkbike. Guy bought it to ride with his son but found out life was too busy. He had ridden the thing a couple of times and was asking about 60% of what he paid for it.

Let us know what you find.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Esox357
Need a lower impact option than running and thought a mountain bike might be the ticket. What mountain bike would be decent for a beginner that was 1000 or under? What tire size should I get? Typical ride will be 10 miles or less. Mostly pavement and dirt/gravel roads, occasional mountain trail. Looking hard at Trek but not sure what model? Any other reccomendations and or online places to buy?

Find a 2-4 year old bike--bikes lose their value quickly, especially now that the "Back To The Outdoors" pandemic fad is over. Today's bikes will last a lot of miles unless they have been thoroughly thrashed and poorly maintained. The older you get the more you will appreciate rear suspension.

If you're less than 5-10 or so, go with the 27.5, taller then the 29.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Trek Marlin 7. Marlin 6 should come in under 1K

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 29" Raleigh. It is over ten years old, paid $300 for it, and do all the tuning and repairs myself. It ain't rocket science as I have been working on my own bikes since I was a kid! It's all fun and games till a racoon runs in front of you riding home from work at night, while you are screaming ass on a downhill!

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
As stated components primarily drive price. The other is weight. Things that roll make a bike feel heavy or slow. Wheels would be the first thing to upgrade to lighten a ride. Naturally light and strong = very expensive. LOL

Go to a shop and get sized. Then try and find a used Covid purchase that someone regrets. You might be able to get a $2K - $3K bike that was barely used for $1K.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like running shoes...go try them on. It’s the only way not to have buyers remorse. Trek and Framed for the money are worth looking into.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WR250

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best advice you can get is to go to a bike shop and pick their brains. I have a Giant brand mountain bike - they are reasonably priced, built well, and have a lot of good features for a novice or non-competitive rider. Shimano controls , etc... you should be able to find a good bike in your price range but if not check out the used market. Like used exercise equipment, bikes often get used a couple times and put away so they are often in excellent shape on the used market. Replacement parts , if necessary, aren't all that expensive to replace if you go that route or want to upgrade to better pieces...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't over look ebikes for fun and exercise. I went that route due to age related pains sneeking up on me. Lots of fun and I go way farther than I do on a non ebike.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Biking is low impact until you're either run over or hit a tree. Then you'll wish you stuck to running.

It's a wonder some of these pussies around here can garner the courage to walk out of the house.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$1000 gets you a good bike that will last a lifetime. Name brand doesn't matter. Many bikes bearing different brand names come out of the same factory. Look for Taiwan as COO rather than China. The components will all be very comparable in that price range. You might find one brand that has better rims than others, as that's a place where some brands try to save money. You also might find a bike in that price range with a Rock Shox suspension fork rather than Sun Tour, and that would be bonus. Certain brands may cheap out on brakes as well. Rims, fork and brakes are where you may see a meaningful difference in parts from one brand to the next.

If you have a modicum of wrenching ability, you can mail order a bike and set it up yourself. I am not very handy, but I can do it. You can get a better deal on a mail order bike.

I'd go with a 29er with 1X shifting for simplicity. For casual riding, I like tires in about the 2.2-2.3 width range. Going fatter makes for more rolling resistance, and for what you said you want to ride on, you don't need fat tires.

Compare a couple $1000 bikes

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/plus-boost-bikes/taz2p5-sport-29er-275-bikes.htm

Rock Shox Fork-Very good
SRAM Brakes-Very good
Weinmann Rims-good (probably make some of the house name rims on other brands in this price range)
Shimano hubs-Very good

This one is a 27.5 but has very good fork and brakes and didn't cheap out on any parts.

https://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mountain-1-bikes/hardtail-bikes/lux-3-4693

This Cannondale has pretty good parts, but they do step down to a cheaper fork and cheaper brakes.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/mountain/trail-bikes/trail/trail-se-4

This Trek has parts that are almost as good as the Bikes Direct Bike and it's only a few bucks over 1K

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...gen-2/p/33148/?colorCode=orangelight_red

Now with all of that said, you can probably get a great deal on a used bike. A lot of people bought Covid Bikes to get some socially distanced exercise, rode them a few times and put them away.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great info all. I appreciate it!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by specialK
I have a Trek Marlin 7. Marlin 6 should come in under 1K

I have a Marlin 7 as well. It's been a great bike over the past 4 or 5 years.

Not sure they're within OP's price point anymore, but it's gotta be close and they are a lot of bang for the buck.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by stomatador
At that price range I'd look for a used bike. Start by riding a few at bike shops and get a feel for the different geometries. Mostly pavement and dirt/gravel roads won't require expensive components. I have a 29er that's fast but my favorite is a 27.5+ with 27.5 x 3.0 tires.

I'd be looking in this order:
- frame that fits and will take a 3" wide tire
- front suspension
- dropper seat
- hydraulic brakes
- 1x drivetrain

I love the dropper seat post on trails and use it more than I thought I would. It likely won't be a common feature in the OP's price range but does come with the Trek Roscoe at the $1200 price point. I would assume it could be added as an upgrade at some point.

Several mentions here of the 1x drivetrain - I agree that this is the way to go...

Last edited by JGray; 01/31/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mountain and street bikes are all over Colorado. Like mosquitos in the midwest on hot summer night. And most of the riders here are annoying as fxxx. Doc told me the same thing about running...and getting a bike. If I got the bike for free, I still won't get on one. If you're gonna ride and want to fit in, be sure to wear the tightest fitting leotard you can find, have a cooler full of IPA's when you're done, and keep it chained to the bike rack on your Subura, even when you're not planning on riding it.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Esox357

Here is a Pinkbike search on hardtails for sale by private owners under 1K$ USA/Canada for an idea.

pink bike classified

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Name brand doesn't matter. Many bikes bearing different brand names come out of the same factory. Look for Taiwan as COO rather than China. The components will all be very comparable in that price range. You might find one brand that has better rims than others, as that's a place where some brands try to save money. You also might find a bike in that price range with a Rock Shox suspension fork rather than Sun Tour, and that would be bonus. Certain brands may cheap out on brakes as well. Rims, fork and brakes are where you may see a meaningful difference in parts from one brand to the next.

I have no doubt you know a lot about bikes, but you start off with, "Name brand doesn't matter." and then write a post on why it does.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
Mostly pavement and dirt/gravel roads, occasional mountain trail.

There are too many options. It's a lot more manageable for me to pick a brand with a good reputation, in my case Specialized, and figure out the options within that brand. Any clumsy mountain bike can be ridden on pavement, but if you want a bike to perform well a pavement/gravel bike is a lot different animal than a mountain bike. Most of my riding is on tar trails training for road racing. At one point I started with a bike well suited for tar trails, but that bike was really slow. I over corrected to a pure road bike, which was plently fast, but I took a beating on tar trails. I ended up with a tar/gravel bike which is a touch slow, but more suited to the 95% use on tar trails. Yep, I really need two bikes, but I'm not going to do that to satisfy the 5%.

In the end, buy a bike that suits your riding and keeps it fun. Mountain bikes suck for anything but mountain biking.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1badf350, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,339
Posts18,487,720
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.