Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Sheesh....it's just a little skunk smell.

I am surprised you tuff guys don't go live in a hotel for a week afterwards.

...and take the dog with you.

LOL

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 160user
Someone asked about this a while back and I finally found the recipe and thought I would share. It is easy to carry these ingredients in the truck when going on a hunting trip in case the dog gets into a "Stinker".

The destink process:

1 qt. Hydrogen Peroxide - the brown bottle drug store variety
1/4 cup Baking Soda (approx amount - I do not measure it)
1 squirt of Dawn Dishwash Liquid

Combine ingredients immediately before use, stir to dissolve the baking soda and give the dog a bath in the solution. The peroxide will react with the skunk juice and other organic matter and bubble up quite a bit. It does not hurt to let it soak a while.

Rinse with cold water and discard the leftover solution. Do not try to save it. The peroxide continues to break down and will cause a sealed container to burst and it will break down to just soapy water over time anyway.

I keep all these ingredients in the truck along with a plastic bucket to mix it in when needed.

You can bathe dogs with this solution as well but you need to keep it out of their eyes.

This is what I have used more then a few times. Do not soak the dog prior to washing with this solution.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Someone asked about this a while back and I finally found the recipe and thought I would share. It is easy to carry these ingredients in the truck when going on a hunting trip in case the dog gets into a "Stinker".

The destink process:

Combine ingredients immediately before use, stir to dissolve the baking soda and give the dog a bath in the solution. The peroxide will react with the skunk juice and other organic matter and bubble up quite a bit. It does not hurt to let it soak a while.

Rinse with cold water and discard the leftover solution. Do not try to save it. The peroxide continues to break down and will cause a sealed container to burst and it will break down to just soapy water over time anyway.

I keep all these ingredients in the truck along with a plastic bucket to mix it in when needed.

You can bathe dogs with this solution as well but you need to keep it out of their eyes.

This works. Used it on my pup a few years ago. Excellent remedy.

I have washed skunks in this and them taken them inside for taxidermy work. The smell is totally gone.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sactoller

The destink process:

This is what I have used more then a few times. Do not soak the dog prior to washing with this solution.

Why not? I typically toss the dogs in a raceway after they have been skunked, and then mix up a batch and suds them up. Seems to work just fine?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Agree This formula works best and I tried tomato juice and everything under the kitchen sink.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smells like cooffie

Everybody likes coffey

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Tag

Thanks for the tip

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by sactoller

The destink process:

Why not? I typically toss the dogs in a raceway after they have been skunked, and then mix up a batch and suds them up. Seems to work just fine?

Skunk oil isn't water soluble so water (by itself) doesn't do anything.

The OP's recipe is what my family has used for a long time. The chemistry is that it oxidizes the thiols in the skunk oil. We mix it up in a bucket, blot it on with a sponge and let the dog "soak" for 10 minutes while the magic happens, then a rinse. It works well enough that the dogs and I get to sleep in the house same day.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by wytex
Originally Posted by JeffP
Time is the only thing that really works...

Not true, the mixture works very well.
Not my experience....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,264
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.